Sony: 'We Can't Ignore the Nintendo Switch'

Sony: 'We Can't Ignore the Nintendo Switch' - News

by William D'Angelo, posted 3 days ago / 2,582 Views

The Switch has been a huge success for Nintendo having sold over seven million units in less than nine months. The PlayStation 4 also continues to see strong sales.

Sony’s head of corporate planning Kazuhiko Takeda does realize that Sony can't ignore the Switch.

"At our gaming business, sales of the PlayStation 4 are strong heading into the holidays," Takeda told Asia Nikkei. "But we can’t ignore the Nintendo Switch, which has also captured consumers’ attention.

"Our business model involves selling both the game console and the software for it, so we’re working to get more customers paying continuously for content, for example through paid subscription services."

Thanks GamingBolt.

mZuzek (3 days ago)

God of War for Switch confirmed?

Bandorr (3 days ago)

The strange part about that wouldn't be Sony putting a first party title on the switch.

It would be the switch running it at all.

AngryLittleAlchemist (3 days ago)

*BA DUM TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

rodea_sky_soldier (3 days ago)

God of War for Playstation Swap next year

Ryng_Tolu (3 days ago)

Kratos for Smash 5!

IkePoR (3 days ago)

@Bandorr - the console with the least "walky-talky feels games" is the true winner in my book. Funny how Nintendo gets flak for "kiddy" games and motion controls but Sony has more games trying to be movies than anyone.

Ljink96 (3 days ago)

And just a few months ago they were like "we don't see Switch as a competitor". lol.

The_BlackHeart__ (3 days ago)

PS Now for Nintendo Switch? I don't think Nintendo will allow that unless the income is shared 50-50 and Sony will not allow that. So probably nothing will happen I'm afraid.

Johnw1104 (3 days ago)

Shareholders be like "Hey, that's making money. That should be our money. Figure out how to get that money too!"

KLAMarine (3 days ago)

Sony, put the Gravity Rush games on the Switch. I'll bite.

EricHiggin (3 days ago)

AKA, expect PS4 to always be cheaper than Switch going forward. Also, don't be surprised if you see a PS Switch competitor possibly.

Liquid_faction (3 days ago)

Sony making a "Switch" like device would be the dumbest thing they can do. It would heavily cannibalize the PS4.

EricHiggin (3 days ago)

Possibly meaning if it was worth it. If the Switch over time starts crushing PS4 sales, then PS might as well be taking a piece of that pie by having their own version of Switch. For the time being it's not a worry, but it's something that PS can't just sit back and hope for the best later on.

PAOerfulone (3 days ago)

PlayStation 5 to be PlayStation Switch confirmed! :P

Paperboy_J (3 days ago)

Uh oh Sony's shook!

couchmonkey (3 days ago)

Excellent, things are about to get more interesting.

OTBWY (3 days ago)

Damn right. Coming for that "world brand" Sony ass :D

OTBWY (3 days ago)

You made a silly comment in the other article and simply joked back. No need to get emotional about it. But if we are going to compare brands, show people in any part of the world a picture of Mario and any character from any Sony IP. I think you can guess which one they're gonna recognize first.

StreaK (2 days ago)

That's not brand really, though...just because Nintendo has ONE character that is easily recognized doesn't mean NIntendo is a global brand. AT least not any more....Sony is on top pretty much. PlayStation is the new Nintendo, I'd say!

OTBWY (2 days ago)

It really, really isn't.

StreaK (2 days ago)

Well for me at least, when I think video games I don't automatically associate them with Nintendo anymore. I think "PlayStation." It has been like this for me since 1994.
Also, I've never been loyal to a brand until PlayStation. I started with NES when I was like 8 years old and moved to Genesis right after. Never owned the SNES. But with Sony, things were different. I always just stood by the PS brand because it just really matched my tastes and style.

StreaK (2 days ago)

PS4 vs Switch = BIGGER than the SNES vs Genesis days!!! I think Sony still has Europe but it looks like Japan is Switch territory. The US is like Xbox territory but Sony has took a lot of ground there from them.

StreaK (2 days ago)

Hmm, I'm just wondering where are all these Switch sales coming from? Where were all these people when the WiiU came out??? You'd think the Switch should have been out in place of the WiiU all along and the WiiU should have never existed because most people probably just thought the WiiU was an upgrade to the original Wii (like the 32X was to the Genesis back in the day). Nintendo NEVER made sequels to their consoles. They always had a brand new "name." While SOny always just sticks with the "PlayStation" name. I kinda wish Sega took the Sony approach with the Genesis. Genesis II, Genesis III, etc.