Triangle Strategy and Gran Turismo 7 Debut on the Japanese Charts - SalesWilliam D'Angelo , posted on 10 March 2022 / 3,229 Views
Triangle Strategy (NS) has debuted in first place on the retail charts in Japan with sales of 86,298 units, according to Famitsu for the week ending March 6, 2022.
Gran Turismo 7 (PS5) debuted in second place with sales of 73,399 units. The PS4 version debuted in third place with sales of 64,565 units.
Elden Ring (PS4) dropped from first to fourth place with sales of 55,310 units. The PS5 version fell from second to sixth place with sales of 14,746 units.
There are six Nintendo Switch games in the top 10, two PlayStation 5 games, and two PlayStation 4 gams.
The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling platform with 96,952 units sold. The PlayStation 5 sold 25,679 units, the Xbox Series X|S sold 1,321 units, the 3DS sold 511 units, and the PlayStation 4 sold 11 units.
Here is the complete top 10:
- [NSW] Triangle Strategy (Square Enix, 03/04/22) – 86,298 (New)
- [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 (SIE, 03/04/22) – 73,399 (New)
- [PS4] Gran Turismo 7 (SIE, 03/04/22) – 64,565 (New)
- [PS4] Elden Ring (FromSoftware, 02/25/22) – 55,310 (243,800)
- [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus (The Pokemon Company, 01/28/22) – 50,481 (2,120,030)
- [PS5] Elden Ring (FromSoftware, 02/25/22) – 14,746 (104,763)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 14,339 (4,470,426)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 11,399 (4,794,715)
- [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 9,957 (895,966)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 9,474 (2,542,200)
Here is the hardware breakdown:
- Switch OLED Model – 55,385 (1,333,707)
- Switch – 26,126 (18,067,043)
- PlayStation 5 – 22,550 (1,210,651)
- Switch Lite – 15,441 (4,608,818)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,129 (218,138)
- Xbox Series X – 748 (85,675)
- Xbox Series S – 573 (72,709)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 511 (1,183,316)
- PlayStation 4 – 11 (7,819,353)
A life-long and avid gamer, William D'Angelo was first introduced to VGChartz in 2007. After years of supporting the site, he was brought on in 2010 as a junior analyst, working his way up to lead analyst in 2012. He has expanded his involvement in the gaming community by producing content on his own YouTube channel and Twitch channel dedicated to gaming Let's Plays and tutorials. You can contact the author at email@example.com or on Twitter @TrunksWD.
Nearly 200k physical copies sold of Gran Turismo 7 in it's first week. Wish we knew what the digital sales were. Between GT7 and Triangle Strategy this was a big week for Japan.
I feel like all Sony needs to do is make their PS5 a fully portable handheld for the Japanese community in order to find appeal. Am I wrong? I just get the vibe that they don’t sit at home playing video games but always on the go.
Yeah PS5 software sales are really dead in Japan. If even smaller games on the Switch which will probably have proper legs, beat GT7 by quite a big margin it's not a good indication. Especially since this game is actually made in Japan by a Japanese.
A little bit of an unfair comparison though due to the huge gap in install size.
The Switch has sold much more hardware in Japan, plus GT7 did nearly double what Triangle Strategy did. However, it is still a great week for both of them.
Closer to like 60% more for both platforms combined. But yeah. Good opening weeks for both games in Japan.