By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Horizon: Forbidden West Had the 2nd Biggest PS5 Launch in the UK to Date

Horizon: Forbidden West Had the 2nd Biggest PS5 Launch in the UK to Date - Sales

by William D'Angelo , posted on 20 February 2022 / 5,419 Views

Horizon: Forbidden West debuted in first place on the UK retail charts, according to GfK for the week ending February 19, 2022.

The game had the second biggest launch for the PS5 in UK to date, behind the launch title Spider-Man: Miles Morales. 68 percent of retail sales were on the PS5, with the other 32 percent on the PS4.

Pokémon Legends: Arceus drops down to second place as sales fell 52 percent. It remains the fastest-selling game of 2022.

There were more PS5 consoles available due to the launch of Horizon: Forbidden West. This helped Spider-Man: Miles Morales climb up 15 spots to 12th place as sales jumped 90 percent. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart re-entered the charts in 20th.

Due the release of the next-generation update, Cyberpunk 2077 sales increased 271 percent and re-entered the charts in 23rd place.

Here are the top 10 best-selling titles for the week:

    1. Horizon: Forbidden West - NEW
    2. Pokémon Legends: Arceus
    3. Dying Light 2
    4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    5. FIFA 22
    6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    7. Call of Duty: Vanguard 
    8. Minecraft (NS)
    9. Mario Party Superstars
    10. Just Dance 2022

Thanks, GamesIndustry.


A life-long and avid gamer, William D'Angelo was first introduced to VGChartz in 2007. After years of supporting the site, he was brought on in 2010 as a junior analyst, working his way up to lead analyst in 2012. He has expanded his involvement in the gaming community by producing content on his own YouTube channel and Twitch channel dedicated to gaming Let's Plays and tutorials. You can contact the author at wdangelo@vgchartz.com or on Twitter @TrunksWD.


More Articles

7 Comments
Blood_Tears (on 25 February 2022)

Horizon 2's digital sales came in at ~50% which puts it overall down by only 7% from HZD's first week in the UK. However, it should be noted that HZD had a Tuesday launch compared to a Friday launch for FW. (5 day first week compared to 2 day first week) So likely the difference would have met and exceeded HZD on a 1:1 basis that way. Also to note that this game will likely have the Miles Morales type of sell through that will rise and fall along with PS5 stock for its legs. All in all, the franchise is in great shape.

  • 0
Dante9 (on 23 February 2022)

If I could only get a damn PS5 to play this on.

  • 0
brute (on 20 February 2022)

Disappointed at those Horizon FW sales.
Couldnt beat a launch title and is down quite a bit compared to Horizon ZD.
Digital likely wont make up the difference.

  • -5
xl-klaudkil brute (on 21 February 2022)

It likely did.
Better prepare to eat crow.

  • +5
Otter brute (on 21 February 2022)

I'd pay attention to its legs.
-Digital probably does bring it very close if not equal to Zero Dawn with PS5 having a tiny userbase compared to PS4 in 2017 (1/3rd)
-Storm Eunice in the UK would have a dent on any retail purchases.
-PS5 sales were probs diluted because it was cheaper to upgrade from PS4 (Re: Miles Morales)
-Its right inbetween 2 massive single player releases (Pokemon and Elden Ring)

We saw that Ratchet's week 2 numbers were bigger than its week 1 numbers in the UK, and although I'm not expecting the same thing here because of Elden Ring, I think we'll see it remain relatively steady in the weeks to come

  • 0
Kakadu18 Otter (on 22 February 2022)

Ratchet's second week was only bigger because of bundles. Is HFW bundled as heavily?

  • -4
Kakadu18 brute (on 22 February 2022)

It should have good legs throughout the gen.

  • 0