By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
PS5 was the Best-Selling Console in India in 2021

PS5 was the Best-Selling Console in India in 2021 - Sales

by William D'Angelo , posted on 02 February 2022 / 11,150 Views

Sony's latest console, the PlayStation 5, has been sold out worldwide since launch as any stock that becomes available sells out quickly. Despite the shortages, the PS5 was the best-selling console in India in 2021, according to sources in the supply chain who spoke with 0451 Games.

PS5 sales in India have been well ahead of the Xbox Series X|S with a ration of 10 to one. Over 90 percent of the PS5s sold were the disc version, while the remaining 10 percent were the digital version. 

PS5 was the Best-Selling Console in India in 2021

Bethesda's Deathloop launched exclusively on the PS5 and it had the biggest launch in India for any Bethesda game ever. It had a bigger launch than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Doom.

Resident Evil Village sold more on the PlayStation 4 at launch, however, over the year it ended up selling more on PS5 than any other platform. 

The article estimates the PS5 has sold around 60,000 units in India, while the Xbox Series X|S has sold 6,000 units. Sales for the PS5 in its first year are similar to what the PS4 sold in two years.


A life-long and avid gamer, William D'Angelo was first introduced to VGChartz in 2007. After years of supporting the site, he was brought on in 2010 as a junior analyst, working his way up to lead analyst in 2012. He has expanded his involvement in the gaming community by producing content on his own YouTube channel and Twitch channel dedicated to gaming Let's Plays and tutorials. You can contact the author at wdangelo@vgchartz.com or on Twitter @TrunksWD.


More Articles

15 Comments
jvmkdg (on 04 January 2022)

ps5 will hit 20 million before the release of forbiden west

  • +8
aTokenYeti (on 04 January 2022)

If there are more than 100,000 total PlayStations and Xboxes combined in India I would be shocked, and nearly all of them are probably owned by wealthy city dwellers and/or expats.

  • +5
Pinkie_pie (on 04 January 2022)

I don't understand Sony. Why didn't they have stock in Japan instead? But India? Come on

  • +5
jason1637 Pinkie_pie (on 04 January 2022)

India is only like a few thousand units.

  • +6
Pinkie_pie jason1637 (on 04 January 2022)

Oh I was thinking in the hundreds of thousands because I thought switch would be around that mark in India. Switch haven't launched in India?

  • 0
Kakadu18 Pinkie_pie (on 04 January 2022)

The linked article gives numbers. 60k PS5s in 2021.

  • +6
aTokenYeti Kakadu18 (on 04 January 2022)

There are probably a large number of individual cities in the US, Canada, and Europe that have sold more PS5s in 2021 than that

  • 0
Rafie Pinkie_pie (on 05 January 2022)

It's not like Japan is really buying up Playstations these days. It's pretty much all about the Switch.

  • +2
DonFerrari Pinkie_pie (on 05 January 2022)

PS5 is sold out at every single market, so there really cant be a complain of why some of that wasnt shifted to another market... Series S in Brazil have been available for several months now, so if there was any market starving for it them it could had been made change on plans to divert some shipments to other places though.

  • 0
Kakadu18 (on 04 January 2022)

So in that linked article they estimate that the PS5 sold 60k units in 2021 in India and they expect the Switch tonreach 130k total in March 2022.

  • +1
BuckStud (on 05 January 2022)

Yay?!? The Switch was the best selling console on Planet Earth in 2021.

  • 0
DonFerrari BuckStud (on 06 January 2022)

We know that, still when there is information about individual markets they are divulged in VGC. Why are you upset?

  • 0
DonFerrari (on 05 January 2022)

Strange, there was a thread promissing Series S would severely outdo PS5 because India is poor and would jump at Gamepass proposition.

  • 0
kazuyamishima DonFerrari (on 06 January 2022)

I remember an article saying that Xbox Series sales were higher than PS5 at the first months of 2021 due to Sony barely sending any stock to India.

  • +3
DonFerrari kazuyamishima (on 06 January 2022)

But it isn`t any outselling that have been promised. It is outsells that could make the deficit in USA, Europe and Japan selling on India, China and Brazil.

  • 0