By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Cyberpunk 2077 Had 8 Million Pre-orders

Cyberpunk 2077 Had 8 Million Pre-orders - Sales

by William D'Angelo , posted on 10 December 2020 / 1,944 Views

CD Projekt Red announced Cyberpunk 2077, which is out now, had eight million pre-orders.

Of the total pre-orders, 74 percent were digital, while the remaining 26 percent were physical copies. 59 percent of the pre-orders were on PC, while the remaining 41 percent were on consoles. 

The game two weeks before release had already exceeded $50 million in revenue on Steam and is now collecting 80 percent of royalties on the digital platform. 

Cyberpunk 2077 is available now for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. It is also playable on the Xbox Series X and S, and PlayStation 5 via backward compatibility. A full next-gen version will be released as a free upgrade at a later date. 


A life-long and avid gamer, William D'Angelo was first introduced to VGChartz in 2007. After years of supporting the site, he was brought on in 2010 as a junior analyst, working his way up to lead analyst in 2012. He has expanded his involvement in the gaming community by producing content on his own YouTube channel and Twitch channel dedicated to gaming Let's Plays and tutorials. You can contact the author at wdangelo@vgchartz.com or on Twitter @TrunksWD.


More Articles

9 Comments
UnderwaterFunktown (on 10 December 2020)

59 % of 8 million = 4.72 million PC sales on day 1 (at least), so it looks like Shadowland's record didn't last long.

  • +7
NextGen_Gamer UnderwaterFunktown (on 10 December 2020)

Just thinking the same thing, and like you pointed that, this is only pre-orders so not even counting actual day-1 sales. GTA V sold 12 million on day one...

  • 0
NobleTeam360 (on 10 December 2020)

Pretty impressive, maybe I was abit conservative with my prediction in the forum thread.

  • +1
Vendrom NobleTeam360 (on 10 December 2020)

Me too. It could actually reach 10 million the first week wow

  • 0
EnricoPallazzo (on 10 December 2020)

I guess I will wait at least one month to play it on XSX, it seems the game will be better after a few updates.
Im really curious to see how it is running on xbox one and ps4.

  • +1
shikamaru317 EnricoPallazzo (on 10 December 2020)

Not well from what I've heard. Supposedly both can drop as low 15 fps at times, with PS4 somewhere between 720p and 900p and XB1 around 720p I think. You definitely should play it on at least XB1 X or PS4 Pro, with PS5 or Xbox Series S | X being preferable. XSX and PS5 both have a 60 fps, lower resolution option, though XSX is the only platform with a 4K 30 fps quality mode on launch.

  • +3
NextGen_Gamer EnricoPallazzo (on 10 December 2020)

The game has been remarkably smooth and glitch-free for me so far on my PS5 (installed to internal native SSD).

  • +1
Zkuq (on 10 December 2020)

The pre-order split is actually very surprising, especially considering how demanding the game is on PC.

  • 0
AFattyGamer (on 10 December 2020)

Well deserved CDPR. The game lived to the hype, just astonishing.

  • 0