It is Up to Rare on Doing More With Classic Characters Like Banjo-Kazooie and Conker, Says Spencer - News

Fans have been asking for a new Banjo-Kazooie or a remake of the original Nintendo 64 titles ever since the success of Activision's Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer in an interview with Kotaku said it is up to developer Rare if they ever want to go back to classic characters like Banjo-Kazooie and Conker.

"I leave it up to the studios in terms of the things that they want to go work on," he said. "I have a lot of respect for Rare and the work that they do. They do like building new things, and they’ve seen success with Sea of Thieves. I think they’re really excited about Everwild.

Up to Rare on Doing More With Classic Characters Like Banjo-Kazooie and Conker

"But also the response to Battletoads was nice. And I think [partner studio] Dlala did a good job with the game. And so I think it’s just always a balance. My inbox is full of: ‘Let every studio do new [intellectual property].' And also: 'Why have you brought back Crimson Skies and Blinx?'"

The Xbox Series X and Series S will launch worldwide on November 10.

rapsuperstar31 (4 days ago)

I was content playing Banjo/Tooie on Rare replay both games looked fantastic. Would love a true sequel though.

Vendrom (4 days ago)

I think Rare is the equivalent of Sony Japan, since both studios constantly prove their creativity with new IPs. And since Banjo came up as a Smash character, I'm sure they still think of doing something with the IP

KLXVER (4 days ago)

Is it up to Rare? I mean the new Battletoads and Killer Instinct wasnt made by them, so...

shikamaru317 (4 days ago)

They were made as collaborations actually. Or at least Battletoads was, collab between Rare and Dlala. Not sure how much Rare was involved with KI.

Mr Puggsly (4 days ago)

They used Ken Lobb to push the KI reboot because he was one of the original creators.

LivingMetal (4 days ago)

Rare is Rare in name only. It doesn't seem the current crew gives much of a damn.

Mr Puggsly (4 days ago)

I mostly agree. At best maybe their content maintains some of the spirit, but that doesn't mean they want to make stuff like old Rare. The same can be said about many long running studios.

2zosteven (2 days ago)

sure would like to see BK3!

Azzanation (2 days ago)

This was known many years ago when Xbox claimed Rare had the freedom to do whatever they want.

CaptainExplosion (3 days ago)

I really wish Rare would co-operate with other studios to bring back these older franchises. It worked with Battletoads, so it will very likely work again.

Mr Puggsly (4 days ago)

As it has been suggested many times before, they should get the developers of Yooka Laylee to work on a Banjo game. Maybe even buy them and get them working on platformers exclusively. Its a hole MS should attempt to fill.

CaptainExplosion (2 days ago)

Playtonic said they're not making a new Banjo-Kazooie, and NO MICROSOFT SHOULD NOT BUY THEM.