Shovel Knight Tops 2 Million Units Sold - NewsWilliam D'Angelo , posted on 12 April 2018 / 1,791 Views
Developer Yacht Club Games announced sales for Shovel Knight have surpassed two million units.
To celebrate the milestone, the game will be 20 percent off for all versions: the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, PlayStation 3, and Windows PC via Steam, GOG, and Humble Store.
Breaking down the sales by platform the Windows PC version is the best-seller with 24.4 percent of the units sold. The 3DS accounts for 23.9 percent, the Switch version accounts for 17.6 percent, the Wii U with 14.3 percent, and the PlayStation 4 9.1 percent. The other versions account for the other 10 percent.
67.6 percent of the sales have been in North America, followed by Europe with 22.5 percent.
Here is a breakdown of more of the figures:
- We sold over 125k more units in 2017 than 2016! But 60% of those units were sold on Switch. Outside of Nintendo platforms, our sales dipped by about 30% in 2017. However in total, 2017 was our second best year in unit sales.
- Although sales are strong due to Switch, February was our worst sales month since October 2014. Oh no! Hopefully that just means people were busy buying other cool games.
- Perhaps the best indicator of how our sales are progressing from year to year – our rough Windows units sold each year:
170k (2014)->140k (2015) -> 100k (2016) -> 75k (2017)
- We passed 1 million units sold on Nintendo platforms alone in September 2017!
- We sold about 500 copies on PS3 in April 2016 just in the US. That seems very high given where the PS3 was at in its life cycle! But we only sold about 30 units in October 2017 on PS3. So, at least for us, that marks PS3’s mighty reign as coming to a close. A similar story could be told for the Vita where we sold 1.8k units in April 2016 in the US. Now we’re down to ~170 units in October 2017.
- PS4 sales have stayed remarkably steady. In October 2016 we sold about 2000. Guess how much we sold in October 2017? About 2000 units! The same consistency in monthly units applies to Xbox One as well.
- We sold over 2000 units on Wii U October 2016, but only over 300 in October 2017. Switch has definitely taken the Wii U’s glory!
- We sold about 2000 units on 3DS in October 2017 compared to about 4500 in October 2016. This leads us to believe that 3DS is still fairly strong (it isn’t too far from the game’s natural decline).
A life-long and avid gamer, William D'Angelo was first introduced to VGChartz in 2007. After years of supporting the site, he was brought on in 2010 as a junior analyst, working his way up to lead analyst in 2012. He has expanded his involvement in the gaming community by producing content on his own YouTube channel and Twitch channel dedicated to gaming Let's Plays and tutorials. You can contact the author at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @TrunksWD.