Bungie's Destiny Headed to PS360 and 'Future Gen Tech', but Not PC - NewsCraig Snow, posted on 17 February 2013 / 3,338 Views
News about Bungie's upcoming title Destiny is coming in thick and fast now that IGN have opened the floodgates. As well as concept art surfacing, and Bungie releasing the first ViDoc for the game (see below), a tranche of previews have been published by a number of big gaming sites.
The most headline-grabbing statements revolve around the prospective release list. It's been confirmed that Destiny is heading to both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. It's also headed to “future generation technology” according to VG24/7 (i.e. the much-rumoured new consoles that are in the pipeline from Sony and Microsoft. Whether Destiny is set to release on both or just one of them is still unclear).
What is clear, however, is that Destiny will not be coming to the PC because "We made the game (Halo) run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to," said Bungie’s Jason Jones. Owch. That quote is not going to go down well.
Some game-related details have also been revealed, but no gameplay has yet been shown. Here's a brief run-down of what we know (or at least what Bungie and co are promising):
- At its core it's a science fiction shooter, but it supposedly offers "unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre".
- It has MMO features and requires an always-on internet connection (the game world is a 'living world'), though it will not have a subscription fee and it is not an MMO.
- Destiny features persistent online hubs and sandbox elements.
- There are at least three classes - Titan, Hunter and Warlock.
- Character and gear customisation is a key priority.
- There will be no cross-platform play between PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- The story covers various solar system locations, including Mars and the moon. It's a dark story but 'there is hope'.
- Takes place after humanity's mysterious downfall. You play as a 'defender of the city', the last safe haven for humankind, which is under siege by deadly alien foes.
There are no comments to display.