By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Best Art Direction of 2020

Best Racing Game of 2020

Best VR Game of 2020

Best Action Game of 2020

Best Action Game of 2020 - Article

by Paul Broussard , posted 5 days ago / 2,587 Views

Welcome to the first in our series of Game of the Year articles for 2020! The winner was determined by a combination of community and staff voting. Before you proceed, note that the banner image for all of our articles does not indicate the winner; it will be an image or artwork from one of the shortlisted titles but not necessarily the winning one. Enjoy!

After a deluge of high profile AAA titles in 2019, 2020 was something of a quiet year for the action genre. Nevertheless, several games still stood, especially in the indie sphere. So who benefitted the most from the relative lack of competition?

The Shortlist:

Hades

Streets of Rage 4

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

The Winner:

Hades

Runner-up: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

While producing excellent story-driven isometric titles is nothing new for Supergiant Games, jumping into a primarily action-focused game is a step outside the developer's usual comfort zone. In trying something new, however, it delivered one of the most engaging games of 2020; creating a title that blended action, roguelike, and RPG elements into a seamless harmony while still providing an engaging narrative and set of characters.

Mnementh (5 days ago)

My applause to Hades, a deserving winner. Supergiant Games show that even without crunch and massive budget you can create an outstanding game.

OTBWY (5 days ago)

Hades is definitely the winner for me as well. Such a good game.

Darwinianevolution (5 days ago)

I'm really confused as to how Fall Guys couts as an action title.

It's hard to categorise - it's part racing, part platformer, part action, all battle-royale (but we don't have a genre award for that). Each game can only be listed for one genre award though.

Didn't we have a party game category?

Nope. Don't think we've ever had a Party Game award.

Are there enough notable party games released in a year for that to be a proper reward?

This year we had a couple. Among Us, Fall Guys, Momotaru Dentetsu, Clubhouse Games 51, Just Dance... It's a small list, but there were still enough to make a list.

The_Liquid_Laser (4 days ago)

I need to try out Hades sometime just to see what all of the fuss is about.

TruckOSaurus (4 days ago)

Great pick! My personal GOTY.

Fuchigole (4 days ago)

I voted Age of Calamity, but I haven't played Hades. I'm going to try it out. I've heard only good things about it.

Comment was deleted...