By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who are your favourite sidekicks?

Tagged games:

sidekick

(ˈsaɪdˌkɪk)

noun
1. a close friend or follower who accompanies another on adventures, etc.
There's been a huge amount of memorable protagonists in gaming, all with their own virtues and flaws, which makes them extremely likeable to the public and the gamers themselves. However, there's moments on which our dear protagonists have to rely on their sidekick, which more often than not get less credit than they deserve.
Without them, at times, our heroes might have been unable to achieve their goals. They would have probably failed, get killed or gone through a worse destiny. Sidekicks are people who chose to aid our fellow main character because of their bond, frienship, loyalty or other reasons. At times, no reason is even needed.

Here I'm asking you guys which ones are your favourite sidekicks throughout all the games you've played. Those are my picks, though I'll probably add more later (these are the ones I can think of right now)
Garrus Vakarian. (Mass effect)

A sexy alien capable of doing the best of calibrations, and also assisting the main character without thinking it twice.
His conversations are also hilarious, and he shows deep respect for whatever MC does.  What's not to love?
Luigi Mario (Almost every single Mario game in existence)
Forever the second character, but who cares about that when Luigi truly shows how to be a caring and likeable brother? He might not be the bravest warrior out there, but without him Mario would be nothing. Oh yeah, he would be a picture in King Boo's mansion, forever trapped. What a hero, huh.
Hal "Otacon" Emmerich. (Metal Gear Solid)

Whiny, annoying at times, and a recipe for disasters. Who would have thought someone like this would end up being close friend to the legendary soldier Solid Snake? But even better, who would have thought Snake would end up depending so much on him? Otacon might not know how to fight, but after Shadow Moses incident his knowledge and support has been an invaluable ally during Snake's adventures. He'll save your data, develop new ways to take out the enemies, deliver weaponry to you, ask you to swap Disc 1 for Disc 2, give insight about your surroundings, hints about how to defeat certain enemies and stick to you (Snake) to the very, very end.
Without Otacon, Snake would have never been able to tackle down the challenges ahead in MGS, MGS2 and MGS4.
Honorable mention: Samsagaz Gamyi aka Samwise Gamgee (Lord of the Rings) 

While not a gaming character per se, he has been featured in several Lord of The Rings-related games.
The reason I'm puting him here is because he's probably a candidate for best sidekick ever, in any media or format.
Heck, he's the sole reason the good guys triumph over evil.

Around the Network

Donald and Goofy in Kingdom Hearts. They can handle themselves, without the Keyblade.

Hmm, pie.

Chewbacca!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

HK-47 (Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic)
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100923063106/starwars/images/7/78/Hk47portrait.jpg

I'll also go with Garrus (Wright, I'm sure you were disappointed for not being able to bang him) and also this two

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Tails! :D How can you beat a side kick who never dies, always comes back, and can fly you anywhere????

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Daxter

Ezero

Fi

Player 2.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

No one can a beat a Luigi!

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

I agree on Luigi, he's cool. One of the few sidekicks that can stand on their own. I also agree on Samwise Gamgee, without him... poor Frodo (and by extent, poor the world).

Besides those, I'd like to add;

Bastila Shan from Knights of the Old Republic

Not only does she have an integral part in the game's story and is probably the character with most depth and is most the 'mouldable', she is also the most useful party-member, able to get you, the player out of a tight spot in more than one occasion in the early game.

Midna from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Stuck to the player unwillingly, she grows fond of him towards the end. While gameplay-wise she has little-use, I think her backstory in the game, which is revealed slowly but surely throughout the game in some of gaming's most epic cutscenes ever, makes Midna a very intruiging sidekick.