By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Indies Will Tip The Scale In PS4's Favor

Tagged games:

Do you love Indie games?

Yes cause they are games no matter what 24 72.73%

No cause they are on Sony 9 27.27%

Total:33

Will having all these indies really tip the scale in terms of general consumers? I'm not sure how big the core is, prob pretty big, but makes up only a fraction of consoles.. Wouldn't it be the huge AAA titles that really push the systems.

Around the Network

It's a great thing, some of them indie games looked amazing

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Those are some terrible options.

How about:

No, cause they are Indie games and I hate the little Guy.

or

No cause they are not Sony.

or

No, Im a Communist?

BloodyRain said:

Will having all these indies really tip the scale in terms of general consumers? I'm not sure how big the core is, prob pretty big, but makes up only a fraction of consoles.. Wouldn't it be the huge AAA titles that really push the systems.

Of course Sony will have its first party AAA exclusives, too, but those take time to make and in the meanwhile they simply can't afford to fight Microsoft when it comes to buying up Titanfalls all over the place.

So they make a number of smaller bets, none of which will kill them if they lose and one or a few of which might actually hit it big. The more of these bets they make the better the chance that they may even stumble on the next "it" game, the next Minecraft or League of Legends or Puzzle & Dragons or what have you (though that is admittedly pretty doubtful because those games tend to get so big because they're on platforms that are already ubiquitous). Plus with just generally being an open and inviting platform, they will get a lot of games without having to spend one thin dime.

Whereas Microsoft is going to be talking up Titanfall every time it opens its collective piehole for the next year or so because they have $50 million riding on it, and a lot of people will be sick of hearing about it before it even releases. Hell, it's already kind of a joke ("Have you seen Titanfall?").

BasilZero said:
BloodyRain said:

No idea.

Yes.

I'm getting all of the indie games on PC though lol.

Unless they are published by sony lol

Around the Network

Rime ain't indie, you dummy. Why would you post the image of Rime ¬¬

The average indie game on PSN sold about 1/3rd that of XBLA.

It won't tip the scales if there is far, far, more money on the other side. Unless Sony fixes that, it won't be the kind of sweeping win you'd imagine. Even then, Microsoft absolutely butchered Sony on indie/downloadable exclusives last gen. It'd take an exact reversal of fortunes to change that.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Well I refuse to vote in that poll so....... I don't think indies are system sellers.

Indies will make little difference. I think the competition has just as strong of an Indie offering as of late. The only way Indies will make a difference is if they have a marketing budget, and the only ones that will have that, are the ones funded by Sony/Microsoft, which will be those few rare Indie games, not the majority.

mrstickball said:
The average indie game on PSN sold about 1/3rd that of XBLA.

It won't tip the scales if there is far, far, more money on the other side. Unless Sony fixes that, it won't be the kind of sweeping win you'd imagine. Even then, Microsoft absolutely butchered Sony on indie/downloadable exclusives last gen. It'd take an exact reversal of fortunes to change that.

That's the benefit of being there first with XBLA, but now such a reversal is not implausible. It's a lot easier for Sony to change that dynamic with the generational change over than it was for them to change it mid-generation. And with Sony betting so heavily on indies it stands to reason that people who like indie games would gravitate to their platforms.