By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What Entry Level RWD Sports car should I get?

Tagged games:

Which one?

Subaru BRZ Cabrio 3 9.68%

Subaru BRZ STI 6 19.35%

Subaru BRZ STI Cabrio 3 9.68%

BMW 335i (or 335is) 5 16.13%

BMW 235i 0 0%

Porsche Boxer 5 16.13%

Other 6 19.35%

See Results 3 9.68%

Total:31

I'm not getting a car for 3-4 more years, and most of the cars I'm interested in now are just in the prototype stage, but this could be my last chance to own a nice fun RWD manual transmission car. What should I get?

a) Subaru BRZ Cabrio - The Subaru BRZ Open Concept is rumored to be added to the model lineup in spring 2014. Since a BRZ costs about $33-$35k brand new after taxes, a Cabrio will likely cost $39-42k or so. Meaning a used 3 year old model (if I buy a car in 2017) will likely cost around 25k. Not a bad daily driver, not particularly fast, but I drove and pushed one of these recently (hard top) and they are really fun to drive. I live in a big city, so I won't have many opportunities to use the full power anyway.

b) Subaru BRZ STI - Also rumored to be added to the lineup in 2014 spirng. Still a naturally aspirated 2.0L Boxer engine with 200hp, but even lighter then its 2,800lb curb weight. Should be about as fast as a BMW 135i or a Nissan 370Z (about 0-100km/h in 5.4s)

c) Subaru BRZ STI Cabrio - If they make an STI and a Cabrio, they probably will make an STI Cabrio, but maybe not until 2015, which means a used one will be very very difficult to find, and probably expensive too. My car is doing well, if it lasts more then 4 more years, then maybe I can hold out for this.

d) BMW 335i - I wouldn't get a Cabrio because it's a hard top, and it's just a bit too heavy to be a good convertible, but a Coupe is a good idea. Already a used one with moderatly low milage runs for about 30k. Plus the interior is so nice. Only drawback is, they are replacing the 3 series coupe with a 4 series, so my car will look old and be out dated, fast.

e) BMW 235i Cabrio - They are replacing the 1 series with a 2, which will be slightly larger, but just as fast and fuel efficient. Two problems, electrically assisted power steering, and auto only in North America (Lucky Europeaners!). If they do decide to make a manual version of this car, it will instantly be on my list, since the current 1 is too small, and the current 3 is too big for me. I dunno, the 3 looks prettier, I wish it came with a cloth top.

f) Porsche Boxer S - A Real chick magnet, 2007's sell for <30k now, so in 3-4 years a 2010/2011 should be about the same. 2012 is the last hydraulic steering boxer, and I love the tail light design on 2009-2011 models. The only real drawback with this car is that it would be expensive to maintain, is not practical (remember I am driving this in the winter, and we do get snow ocassionally in Toronto, Canada), and is largely seen as a girls car. It's the prettiest, and fastest car of the bunch though (0-100km/h in 5.3s)

----

I'm not interested in Mustangs, or Camaro's. I want something reliable, so Chevy and Dodge are out, and the Mustang looks ugly, and drives like a truck. I want something that handles a bit nicely. I thought about Infinity's too, but I drove one, and they are not as good as BMW. As for the Hyndai Genesis, it's slow, heavy, and cramped in the back. Nissan 370's aren't bad, but they are heavy and while fun to drive, I liked the BRZ and BMW 3 a lot more. As for the BMW Z4, I drove one too, and it's very similar to the BMW 1, I'd rather get a boxer or a 1 for practicality.

If I'm missing anything else (relatively new, don't suggest a 2005 Acura NSX as a daily driver, or a 1997 Nissan 300 ZX), let me know.

EDIT: I might have kids when I'm in my 30's (24 now), so a 2 seater boxer might be out on that accord. This is why I really like the BRZ, it's a cheap mans 4 seater boxer.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

I'm looking into picking up a fun ride as well, possibly next year. I really can't make up my mind, deciding between something new and cheaper or something used that was once expensive. I like convertibles, but non-convertibles are cheaper and have more options, and I too am Canadian so the summer season is a bit limited.

You listed some good options there. I find it funny that you dismiss Dodge and Chevy for quality reasons when BMW's have average quality at best and have very high repair costs. Domestics are really on par or better with Toyota/Subaru with most modern cars. Did you dismiss the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro because you don't like the muscle care image?

Also, how do you find the back seats of the BRZ? You mentioned cramped rears are an issue, and that car looks really small to me. I haven't driven one though.

Around the Network

Edit: My answer is Subaru BRZ STI Cabrio.

What's your budget? And what part of Canada are you in? A RWD sports car may not be the best idea depending on where you live.

Arcturus said:
What's your budget? And what part of Canada are you in? A RWD sports car may not be the best idea depending on where you live.

I live in Toronto, which is lower in elevation then Seatle, and pretty similar with weather as New York. My sister used to own a BMW coupe, and my parents currently have a Lexus GS. I currently own an Acura TL, and I'm sick of front wheel drive. I really loved my sisters BMW coupe, and my dad used to have a RWD Benz coupe, which was a blast in my teenage years.

I've driven all 3 powertrains (FWD, RWD, AWD), and I love RWD, especially in the winter. In Toronto there is a lot of traffic, and owning a RWD car in the winter just makes it so easy to slide into traffic. I also love how RWD cars have such really amazing turn radii, it's crutial for Toronto traffic, and I love how you can accelerate while turning, and not loose grip.

I test drove the scion, pushed it a wee bit to see how it handles. Did 100km/h on a butterfly onramp with ease, one which I can't do above 70km/h in my TL.

I also really love small cars, and I like how it's pretty fuel efficient in comparision to my car. My sisters old BMW 318i was a dream car.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Subaru, by all means.

Michael-5 said:
Arcturus said:

I live in Toronto, which is lower in elevation then Seatle, and pretty similar with weather as New York. My sister used to own a BMW coupe, and my parents currently have a Lexus GS. I currently own an Acura TL, and I'm sick of front wheel drive. I really loved my sisters BMW coupe, and my dad used to have a RWD Benz coupe, which was a blast in my teenage years.

I've driven all 3 powertrains (FWD, RWD, AWD), and I love RWD, especially in the winter. In Toronto there is a lot of traffic, and owning a RWD car in the winter just makes it so easy to slide into traffic. I also love how RWD cars have such really amazing turn radii, it's crutial for Toronto traffic, and I love how you can accelerate while turning, and not loose grip.

I test drove the scion, pushed it a wee bit to see how it handles. Did 100km/h on a butterfly onramp with ease, one which I can't do above 70km/h in my TL.

I also really love small cars, and I like how it's pretty fuel efficient in comparision to my car. My sisters old BMW 318i was a dream car.

This part didn't make much sense to me. The one bad thing about RWD cars is that they handle really bad in snow. Sure we didn't get much snow other than this winter but still.

Anyways Scion FRS and Subaru BRZ are great little cars if you don't need the back seat. Otherwise something with four doors like 3 series should do fine. Also you can look into diesel 3 series if you don't mind giving up some horsepower in exchange of torque and fuel economy. Am not really a fan of convertibles but you can opt for those if you are into them. 

You surely are planning ahead as you don't need to buy one for next 4 years. I mean lot of things will change in that time. There is also Infiniti Q50 for consideration.