Quantcast
Sony Announces PlayStation 5 Launches in Holiday 2020 - VGChartz
Sony Announces PlayStation 5 Launches in Holiday 2020

Sony Announces PlayStation 5 Launches in Holiday 2020 - News

Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan revealed via the PlayStation Blog the next generation PlayStation will unsurprisingly be called the PlayStation 5 and it will launch in Holiday 2020.

"One of our goals with the next generation is to deepen the feeling of immersion when you play games, and we had the opportunity with our new controller to reimagine how the sense of touch can add to that immersion," said Ryan.

"To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

"The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.

"While there’s much more to share about PlayStation 5 in the year ahead, we have plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’d like to thank all PlayStation fans for continuing the journey with us, as we embark on the future of games."

Stay tuned to VGChartz as more information on the PlayStation 5 drops over the coming months.

Machina (6 days ago)

Look forward to seeing the first game reveals.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

Probably won't see much in the way of games until E3 2020. But I could be wrong.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

PS5 and Xbox Scarlett are both launching Holiday 2020. Who else is excited for the next generation?

COKTOE (6 days ago)

Me me me! It'll be interesting seeing how the machines develope from now until launch.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

Next generation should be more interesting than what we've had recently. PS4 easily beat the Xbox One and Wii U. Switch has made things more interesting though. If all the studios Microsoft has acquired is any indication they are going to put more effort into the next generation and keep pushing Game Pass. Sony needs to keep doing what they've been doing and launch the PS5 at a price that makes sense and they once again have success.

WoodenPints (6 days ago)

The main thing I want from next gen is either Sony or Microsoft to really sell me on their new hardware show of great new features and games, I feel with this gen The Wii U been the Wii U, Microsoft's terrible 2013 E3 and Sony's big lack of line up for the start of the gen I choose my day one console based on it not been the worst offering rather been blown away and truly sold on a console because it was the best.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

Halo Infinite as a Xbox Scarlett launch title is a good start for Microsoft. Similar to Nintendo with Breath of the Wild with the Switch. I'm curious to see what Don't has for the PS5 launch.

DonFerrari (6 days ago)

No surprises. And once again they confirm Ghost of Tsushijima on PS4 but some still doubt it.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

Could be released on PS4 and be a PS5 launch title.

DonFerrari (5 days ago)

Could be, but since Sony already confirmed BC the upgrade pack for launch can be made for plenty of games if they decide to do it.

Dgc1808 (6 days ago)

Curious to experience those new triggers. HD rumble on Switch did nothing for me, I don't expect anything from haptic feedback on a traditional controller.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

It probably won't do much, but I'll take any improvements. They do all add up.

Radek (6 days ago)

Can't wait. It's going to be even better than PS4 and sell much better than Xbox, even more than this gen.

BraLoD (6 days ago)

Now early 2020 show the controller. Mid 2020 show the console and the price. 2013 all over again.

The Fury (6 days ago)

Should have been autumn of next year and really scare MS. :P

trunkswd (6 days ago)

Holiday 2020 likely means an early November 2020 release like with the PS4.

Zenos (6 days ago)

I'm in no hurry to buy a new console. I'll first see what the price is and what games they'll develop for it.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

Price and games are important. $499 IMO is the max the PS5 could cost at launch and still be a runaway success. $599 at launch seems a bit much for most consumers.

The Fury (6 days ago)

I bought PS4 a year after release because of a game. Unless certain games are announced for it, I doubt I will either but if it's Backward Compatable, that will help as you can just move on and continue buying and playing PS4 games.

method114 (6 days ago)

Since it's backwards compatible I'll get it first day. Probably would have either way but for sure I am now.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

It will have backwards compatibility. I'm guessing at the minimum it will provide PS4 games with the PS4 Pro upgrades. So could be an incentive for people who never bought a PS4 Pro to get a PS5 at launch even if it doesn't have a ton of new games.

Barkley (6 days ago)

Same, if it wasn't backwards compatible I'd probably wait a while, but as I know it'll replace my PS4 I might as well sell that and upgrade to a PS5 day one. Even if it has no benefits for PS4 games over the PS4 Pro it'll at least load faster.

S.Peelman (6 days ago)

Unexpected sudden announcement. Can we expect some more at the Game Awards or do we have to wait until E3? Probably the latter I guess...

Barkley (6 days ago)

Should have an event around February like they did with the PS4. Maybe March to keep it out of the way of TLOU2 launch. Can't imagine they'll wait till E3.

S.Peelman (5 days ago)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That could be it.

deskpro2k3 (6 days ago)

As long as the controller doesn't look like a boomerang.

Amnesia (6 days ago)

And SONY's share at Frankfurt drop by 2,23% after the annoucement. I just don't get this really.

Comments below voting threshold

OTBWY (on 08 October 2019)

So in those two parts they basically described HD rumble and slightly more sensitive triggers. Probably HD Triggers. That's it? Those are the new innovations in the controller? Nothing about battery life?

Barkley (on 08 October 2019)

Says in the full wired article that it has a "Larger capacity battery" than the Dualshock 4.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

Better battery life is always a good thing. I've got an OG Switch and the 3 hour battery life is not the greatest.

Barkley (6 days ago)

@WoodenPints you clearly never owned a WiiU.

DonFerrari (6 days ago)

Or game gear.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

I remember the Game Gear. It used 6 AA batteries and the battery life was only a few hours before it died.

DonFerrari (6 days ago)

I won't say the battery life of PS4 control is great, but I can play a full day on it and when playing during week it won't need recharge for the whole week. And having 2 controllers I can easily rotate between the 2 and also can charge on the close to me outlet so I don't bother with it and don't need to be wired to the PS4 at all.

trunkswd (6 days ago)

For a controller the batter life isn't amazing, however, it isn't as bad as some people say. Main thing is to turn it off or plug it in when watching Netflix, Prime, etc.

Vizigoth04 (6 days ago)

Read the article from wired embedded into the PS Blog article. They touch on more detail to include the battery.

DonFerrari (6 days ago)

Well my controller auto turn off about 15-20min without using it, and my TV controller can navigate streaming programs on PS4 so I use it.