Horizon: Zero Dawn Tops an Estimated 5 Million Units Sold Worldwide at Retail

Horizon: Zero Dawn Tops an Estimated 5 Million Units Sold Worldwide at Retail - Sales

The open world action RPG from Sony Interactive Entertainment and Guerrilla Games - Horizon: Zero Dawn - has reached a new sales milestone, according to our estimates. The game has surpassed five million units sold at retail. The figure can be viewed on the VGChartz Global Weekly Chart for the week ending June 23.

Horizon: Zero Dawn sold 20,251 units for the week to bring lifetime sales to 5,012,112 units. It took the game 69 weeks to reach the milestone.

Breaking down the sales by region, the game had sold best in Europe with 2.22 million units sold (44%), compared to 1.76 million units sold in North America (35%) and 0.26 million units in Japan (5%). Looking more closely at Europe, the game had sold an estimated 0.39 million units in the UK, 0.45 million units in Germany, and 0.29 million units in France.

Guerrilla Games announced in March the game had sold more than 7.6 million units worldwide. VGChartz estimated retail sales of 4.74 million units at that time, which at the time would put digital sales around 2.86 million units.

Horizon: Zero Dawn released for the PlayStation 4 in North America in February 2017 and in Europe and Japan in March 2017.

DialgaMarine (6 days ago)

Best selling Guerilla title by a huge margin. I imagine that in total, its gotta be closer to 8.5 million. Well deserved for an excellent game.

ResilientFighter (6 days ago)

i like that you didn't say their best game by a huge margin since i love KZ2 a lot!

DialgaMarine (5 days ago)

It's definitely top 3 for sure, but it's hard to compare it to Guerila's other games because it's so different, but I'd say it's at least my #2, #1 being KZ2 and #3 being KZ3.

gemini_d@rk (6 days ago)

Its huge for a new IP.

DialgaMarine (6 days ago)

That's especially true coming off the PS3 gen where most Sony published titles were lucky to sell more than a million. Sony's studios are doing great this gen.

V-r0cK (6 days ago)

That's fantastic!

DaveTheMinion13 (6 days ago)

Game is insanely undertracked here......it was at 7.6 million total in February.

DialgaMarine (5 days ago)

I definitely believe it's sold more than this at retail, but VGC doesn't track digital; the 7.6 million was both retail and digital. If I had to guess, I'd say it's around 5.5 million physical, 8.5 million total.

TheBlackNaruto (6 days ago)

Very well deserved!

ResilientFighter (6 days ago)

i do not believe it is only 5 million... I believe its closer to 9

Masked_Muchaco (5 days ago)

That's 5 million at retail, not including digital sales.

SuperNintend0rk (6 days ago)

I remember a lot of people predicting this would outsell BotW. According to Nintendo, the Switch version has sold 9.32 million as of June 30 so it's ahead by a million copies or so.

Spike0503 (6 days ago)

I would've never predicted that considering the Zelda brand and the way Nintendo exclusives sell well. Still, I think Horizon did a great job considering it's a brand new IP.

Errorist76 (6 days ago)

I can't imagine anyone would ever be ignorant enough to predict such a thing, so I call BS.

SuperNintend0rk (6 days ago)

I think it was mainly based on the massive lead of the PS4 userbase, not the strength of each IP. I'm not surprised that BotW came out on top but either way, Horizon's sales are very impressive for a new IP.

DaveTheMinion13 (6 days ago)

The fact it's so close to BOtW is impressive.

ResilientFighter (6 days ago)

New IP vs an ancient one with fan bases from the 80s. like comparing guardians of the galaxy 1 box office ticket sales with star wars episode 7

SuperNintend0rk (6 days ago)

@ResilientFighter True but keep in mind that the PS4 had sold over 60 million units when this was released whereas the Switch was just launching and the WiiU didn't even hit 15 million. A lot of people predicted that the Switch would be another flop for Nintendo and you can't sell games if people don't own the consoles to play them

psychicscubadiver (5 days ago)

@Errorist76 Behold...
The thread was started by a Sony fan and got a lot of discussion.

SuperNintend0rk (5 days ago)

@psychicscubadiver Thanks for finding that! I knew I wasn't making it up!

Comments below voting threshold

Random_Matt (6 days ago)

Why do I feel that is highly disappointing?

TheBlackNaruto (6 days ago)

No clue

FentonCrackshell (6 days ago)

No clue really. These are “retail” numbers. Probably 3M+ more when you add digital. I both the game both on digital and retail.

Errorist76 (6 days ago)

It sold more than the last Gears game, so I don't know. Probably because you want it to.

Random_Matt (6 days ago)

? It was my favourite game of this gen.

ResilientFighter (6 days ago)

a female lead and its close to 10 million including digital... what were you hoping for GTA numbers?

DialgaMarine (5 days ago)

The answer depends; dissapointing compared to what? A brand new IP, from a relatively small developer that has never worked on anything like this, and released the same time as the biggest entry for one of gaming's most significant IP's. Knowing all that, and it's more than likely going to break 10 million total LT, I'd say it's done pretty damn good.

DialgaMarine (5 days ago)

Oh, and I can't neglect to mention it's done this well with extremely limited bundling.