By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do Wii exclusives sell more than PS3 & 360 exclusives?

Tagged games:

Why?

Mario sold out! 9 14.52%

The Wii has a larger inst... 6 9.68%

Anyone could sell that ma... 6 9.68%

Nintendo did a better job... 17 27.42%

Nintendo fans will buy an... 10 16.13%

Micro/Sony relies more on... 14 22.58%

Total:62

There have been a few threads like this floating around, so I decided to settle the matter once and for all. No overly narrow superlatives here; just exclusives. Games that were only released on ONE console.

Since they appeal too much to casuals and therefore "aren't fair" or something, I omitted ALL games that have "Wii" or "Kinect" in the title. I also would have omitted games with "Move" in the title, if any had threatened to appear on this list.

Wii Exclusives PS3 Exclusives X360 Exclusives
Super Smash Bros. Brawl -- 11.16m Gran Turismo 5 -- 7.81m Halo 3 -- 11.57m
Super Mario Galaxy -- 10.25m Uncharted 2 -- 5.69m Halo: Reach -- 9.12m
Just Dance 2 -- 9.26m Metal Gear Solid 4 -- 5.67m Gears of War 2 -- 6.52m
Mario Party 8 -- 7.86m LittleBigPlanet -- 4.96m Halo ODST -- 6.07m
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games -- 7.85m Uncharted 3 -- 4.53m Gears of War -- 5.96m
Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- 6.81m God of War 3 -- 4.44m Gears of War 3 -- 5.51m
Just Dance -- 6.79m Uncharted -- 4.26m Forza Motorsport 3 -- 5.09m
Zelda: Twilight Princess -- 6.57m Gran Turismo 5: Prologue -- 4.10m Fable 3 -- 4.83m
Donkey Kong Country Returns -- 5.59m Resistance -- 4.07m Fable 2 -- 4.07m
Link's Crossbow Training -- 4.95m MotorStorm -- 3.74m Forza Motorsport 2 -- 3.98m

Interesting Facts:

• The Wii's top 10 exclusives combine for 77.09m sales; the PS3's combine for 49.27m sales; the 360's, 62.72m.
• "Mario" appears in the titles of 4 of the Wii's top 10 exclusives.
• "Uncharted" appears in the titles of 3 of the PS3's top 10 exclusives.
• "Halo" and "Gears of War" each appear in the titles of 3 of the 360's top 10 exclusives.
• The Wii's top 10 contains 7 different franchises, 6 or 5 if you count Mario Party and/or Mario & Sonic as "Mario" games.
• The PS3's top 10 contains 7 different franchises.
• The 360's top 10 contains 4 different franchises.
• The Wii's top 10 contains 1 fighting game, 2 dance games, 3 platformers, 2 mini-game collections, 1 action/adventure game, and 1 shooter. The PS3's top 10 contains 3 racing games, 4 third-person shooters, 1 FPS, 1 puzzle platformer, and 1 action/adventure game; the 360's top 10 contains 3 FPS, 3 third-person shooters, 2 racing games, and 2 action RPGs.
• The best-selling non-"casual" game of the gen is actually Halo 3, narrowly beating Super Smash Bros Brawl.
• The Wii's 10th-best-selling exclusive, a rather short shooter bundled with a piece of plastic, outsold 6 of the PS3's top 10, including two of the three Uncharted games, and 3 of the 360's top 10, including both Fable games.
• Sony fanboys will still complain that Mario games are too casual too or popular or something, and that it isn't fair to include them. If the best-selling first-party franchises are removed for all three consoles (Mario, Uncharted, Halo), the Wii still dominates everyone. Its domination would probably be even more pronounced.
• Rol will tell me to save time by simply naming the thread "Nintendo > Sony, Microsoft."

Around the Network

Almost right, but still wrong :P. Still, interesting list. Mario vs Shooters this gen.

What.... I don't even... Why have their been so many response threads lately?!

RolStoppable said:

The Halo series features self-regenerating health, thus it belongs into the "casual games" category, just like any other shooting game that includes such a feature.

Sure, but Micro/Sony fanboys would complain about omitting those. In order to make things truly unbiased, and by unbiased I mean grossly unbalanced in favor of the HD twins, I chose to define "casual" games ONLY as games with offending casual words in the titles.

Xbox is not that far behind

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Around the Network

Because third parties hate the Wii

BasilZero said:
NintendoPie said:
What.... I don't even... Why have their been so many response threads lately?!

Its the only way to liven up a sales discussion site?

That's what replying to a thread is for though...

New rule:

you have to exclude games with "super" on the title.

Because everybody knows that when you see Super Something, that's subliminal shit that marketing ninjas are selling you.

Do as I say please, or I'll spam this thread like you've never seen.

It's called mario. end of thread.

pezus said:
I think a better comparison would be to exclude all sequels. So, no Uncharted 2 or 3. No Halo 3 or Reach. No Super Smash Bros Brawl etc. We'd really see PS3's domination that way (if the current weekly numbers aren't enough).

I could also only compare the sales of games beginning with the letter 'U', but let's stop trying to make this about something it's not. This is about sales of exclusives. If you want to compare sales of new IP, feel free to make yet another thread.

After all, if you want to play dirty, I'll be happy to bring Wii Sports back into the mix. Maybe I consider Wii Fit, Play, and Party separate IP. We could also ignore the "exclusive" aspect and bring games like Zumba Fitness into the mix. That'll be fun.