Quantcast
The Witcher Netflix Series Helped Boost Witcher 3 Sales 554% YoY in the US - VGChartz
The Witcher Netflix Series Helped Boost Witcher 3 Sales 554% YoY in the US

The Witcher Netflix Series Helped Boost Witcher 3 Sales 554% YoY in the US - Sales

The Witcher Netflix series has been hugely popular and has helped boost the popularity of the books and games. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt set a new record with a new peak of over 100,000 concurrent players on Steam. The game released for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC on May 19, 2015, and for the Nintendo Switch on October 15, 2019.

NPD Group revealed sales for the game were 554 percent higher in December 2019 than they were in December 2018. Even if you don't include the October 2019 release Nintendo Switch port, sales were still up 63 percent year-over-year.

Revenue for The Witcher books also saw a boost with physical book revenue increasing 562 percent during the first weeks after the premiere of the Netflix series, when compared to the same period in 2018.

Here is an overview of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a story-driven open world RPG set in a visually stunning fantasy universe full of meaningful choices and impactful consequences. In The Witcher, you play as professional monster hunter Geralt of Rivia tasked with finding a child of prophecy in a vast open world rich with merchant cities, pirate islands, dangerous mountain passes, and forgotten caverns to explore.

Key Features:

PLAY AS A HIGHLY TRAINED MONSTER SLAYER FOR HIRE
Trained from early childhood and mutated to gain superhuman skills, strength and reflexes, witchers are a counterbalance to the monster-infested world in which they live.

• Gruesomely destroy foes as a professional monster hunter armed with a range of upgradeable weapons, mutating potions and combat magic.
  • Hunt down a wide range of exotic monsters — from savage beasts prowling the mountain passes, to cunning supernatural predators lurking in the shadows of densely populated towns.
  • Invest your rewards to upgrade your weaponry and buy custom armour, or spend them away in horse races, card games, fist fighting, and other pleasures the night brings.

EXPLORE A MORALLY INDIFFERENT FANTASY OPEN WORLD
Built for endless adventure, the massive open world of The Witcher sets new standards in terms of size, depth and complexity.

• Traverse a fantastical open world: explore forgotten ruins, caves and shipwrecks, trade with merchants and dwarven smiths in cities, and hunt across the open plains, mountains and seas.
  • Deal with treasonous generals, devious witches and corrupt royalty to provide dark and dangerous services.
  • Make choices that go beyond good & evil, and face their far-reaching consequences.

CHASE DOWN THE CHILD OF PROPHECY
Take on the most important contract to track down the child of prophecy, a key to save or destroy this world.

• In times of war, chase down the child of prophecy, a living weapon foretold by ancient elven legends.
  • Struggle against ferocious rulers, spirits of the wilds and even a threat from beyond the veil – all hell-bent on controlling this world.
  • Define your destiny in a world that may not be worth saving.

FULLY REALIZED NEXT GENERATION

• Built exclusively for next generation hardware, the REDengine 3 renders the world of The Witcher visually nuanced and organic, a real true to life fantasy.
  • Dynamic weather systems and day/night cycles affect how the citizens of the towns and the monsters of the wilds behave.
  • Rich with storyline choices in both main and subplots, this grand open world is influenced by the player unlike ever before.

DonFerrari (5 days ago)

That was expected. Good game with more marketing got a new wind for sales.

Zenos (5 days ago)

Witcher 3 is a great game, but this demonstrates how many normies are in gaming.

ironmanDX (5 days ago)

They've potentially infiltrated this very site!!!

All accounts in the last year that have been created or haven't bothered to update their avatar should be culled... Wait...

Zenos (5 days ago)

@ironmanDX Was that some weak attempt to say that I'm a hypocrite since I don't have an avatar? If so, it's rather unsubstantiated. Also I love how you started with the account creation date, but then realised I didn't qualify and had to add the avatar one. Funny that.

pikashoe (5 days ago)

Are you non ironically using the term normies, go back to 4chan with that crap.

Zenos (5 days ago)

@pikashoe What exactly is your problem with the word? What word would your rather use instead? Casual players? Non-serious gamers? Do tell.

ironmanDX (5 days ago)

It was a joke. Calm yourself.

Zenos (5 days ago)

@ironmanDX I'm perfectly calm. I simply asked for a clarification. I did say your initial post was funny, I just didn't know if it was intentional or not.

pikashoe (4 days ago)

Your're just using the word normie to make yourself seem better than other people. That's literally the only reason people use it, because they have a desperate need to feel like they are something above normal, something special. When in reality they aren't special or better than others.
So I won't give you an alternative to what you said because the basis of what you stated was always to put others down in an attempt to make yourself seem higher. I'm sure you'll probably come back at me now with some defensive comment or thinly veiled insult, because you are just that predictable.

Zenos (4 days ago)

@pikashoe Oh, get off your high horse with that shallow armchair psychologist performance. I used it to describe gamers who are influenced by a series to buy a game rather than doing so for the merit of the product. I would consider myself a more informed gamer, but this doesn't make me special or above the people I was referring to. I simply pointed out how many of them there are, but do go on with your bad faith assertions.

"So I won't give you an alternative to what you said" - of course you won't. You just wanted to language police and innocuous statement and to rage about what you imagined are my motivations for making it.

"I'm sure you'll probably come back at me now with some defensive comment" - gee, other than using words you don't like, am I now not allowed to defend myself against your baseless accusations, Your Highness? Who knew.

pikashoe (4 days ago)

Predictable response,
Sure, you used a word only ever used as an insult, not as an insult. If you don't want to be perceived that way don't use a word with such negative connotations. When you call someone a normie you are saying that they boringly conventional and mainstream, the word is only ever used as an insult to put the subject down and raise the user up, so don't act all innocent and say you weren't trying to put yourself above people. You can say whatever you want but the word means what it means and there really isn't any other way to interpret what you said.

Sorry I should have said "overly defensive", which you are being.

pikashoe (4 days ago)

As an example if someone called you an idiot, and you called them out on it, then they say that they didn't mean it in a bad way. Would you believe them or call bullshit. Because this situation is no different.

Zenos (4 days ago)

"Sure, you used a word only ever used as an insult, not as an insult." - oh, really now? ONLY EVER as an insult. Let's see what the Cambridge dictionary thinks about that:

normie - a normal person, who behaves in the same way as most other people in society

Interesting, isn't it? I suppose you are the only authority of how words are used.

" so don't act all innocent and say you weren't trying to put yourself above people" - I didn't. It's rather presumptuous of you to dictate what was my intention was when using a word and it's the definition of a bad faith actor, which you have been from the start.

"You can say whatever you want but the word means what it means and there really isn't any other way to interpret what you said." - thanks for confirming you are close minded and nothing I say or show (including the evidence I provided above) will convince you away from your initial assumptions.

"Sorry I should have said "overly defensive", which you are being." - apology not accepted, considering how overly aggressive you are being.

"As an example if someone called you an idiot, and you called them out on it, then they say that they didn't mean it in a bad way. " - interesting. So when you told me to "go back to 4chan" in your initial post, how would you have me interpret this? You wanted to associate me with a group of nasty people from the get go, just because I used a word that you didn't like. How nice of you. Using your own standards this means that you are a massive hypocrite. Unless of course you tried to use 4chan in a neutral way rather than as an insult, but we both know that it is ONLY used as a pejorative, right?

pikashoe (4 days ago)

Are you serious? You are using normie online in 2020. It is literally only used as an insult online in this time period. Yet you expect people to believe that you are using it in a way completely different to how it is used in a modern context. Let me get some modern definitions for you, because you are using a very out dated definition.
Wiktionary
Urban dictionary
Know your meme
"In June 2012, "normies" appeared for the first time on 4chan's /r9k/ board (shown below).[3] In the following years, the use of the term became increasingly frequent on the site, particularly in the context of greentext stories."
Also searches for the word skyrocketed after 2012.

You are trying to say you are using the word how it was used in the 90s in the context of mental health discussion, a time when the word was not in widespread use by the public. Which i think most would call bs on. Either you are extremely out of loop and are unaware of how that word is used in the modern day, or you are just trying to bs people.

Its like if someone said okay boomer to you. The initial meaning of the word is not derogatory but in modern context is used as an insult. Many words official definitions were not initially insulting but in modern context are. Like ass means donkey, but if you call someone an ass, it is being used as an insult. The word faggot initially had nothing to do with being gay, but is now used as a slur against gay people. If you genuinely are unaware how normie is used in modern day than I apologise, but it seems extremely unlikely that you are unaware of how the word is used.

Zenos (4 days ago)

Since you ignored the definition I provided, from Cambridge dictionary nonetheless, (given that you admitted to not listening to what I was saying) let's look at the ones you provided then, shall we?

Wiktionary
(slang, usually derogatory) A normal person; one with commonly held beliefs, tastes or interests - what's wrong with this definition? Also did you happen to miss the word USUALLY in there? Quite the contrast to your assertions that it's ONLY used as a derogatory.

Urban dictionary
A person who keeps up with mainstream media, and does what popular culture tells them to do. Or in general is into trendy garbage. - same question as above. What's wrong with this definition? Netflix is part of popular culture and most of its productions are garbage.

"Through the latter half of the 2000s, more than a dozen additional entries for the term surfaced on the site, with the majority of definitions placing a common emphasis on the unremarkable nature of the individual or group it is addressed to" - oh, so there are at least a dozen meanings to the word according to Know Your Meme. Funny that.

"In June 2012, "normies" appeared for the first time on 4chan's /r9k/ board (shown below).[3] In the following years, the use of the term became increasingly frequent on the site" - well, were are not on 4chan, are we? The fact that a word appeared there at some point doesn't make it horrid or forbidden.

"I told you to go back to 4chan, because you are using a word most commonly used by people on 4chan. If you don't want to be associated with people on 4chan than don't use language commonly used on 4chan." - so you are free to insult and attack me based solely on your perception, but I'm not allowed to use a word you don't like. You are a hypocrite.

"If you genuinely are unaware how normie is used in modern day than I apologise, but it seems extremely unlikely that you are unaware of how the word is used." - I am well aware of how the world is used and I'm doubly aware of how I'M using it, but considering your continued personal attacks you can keep your hollow meaningless apologies.

In your posts you used the words idiot, f*ggot and *ss and since context and meaning doesn't matter, should you be going back to 4chan considering you used those mean words? Oh, no, I forgot there are special rules for you. You can attack people without repercussions, despite me not provoking you in any way. It's the star case of the pot calling the kettle black.

pikashoe (4 days ago)

"Whats wrong with this definition? Netflix is part of modern culture and most of its productions are garbage" this statement proves what I've been saying all along. You view people you call normies as beneath you. You think what people you consider normies like to be garbage. Does conversation is done, take L, you have officially shown your true intentions, there is no coming back now it's all over, you said it clear as day. I honestly can't wait for your response, I've gotten a good laugh out of the mental gymnastics your employing to try and seem correct in this argument.

Immersiveunreality (4 days ago)

Damn,how to be offended by nothing.
This list of messages should not have happened,i mean you being offended should have been ignored imo.

pikashoe (4 days ago)

I'm not offended, I just cringe whenever I see someone use the word without a drop of irony. I tend to call people with superiority complexes out.

Zenos (3 days ago)

@pikashoe "You view people you call normies as beneath you" - no, I don't, you disingenuous liar.

"You think what people you consider normies like to be garbage." - no, I don't. I said most of what Netfilx produces is garbage, which I think is true. Same goes for most of cable TV and most of pop music. Also just because I don't agree with somebody's taste, doesn't mean I think they are beneath me. Something like that should be obvious, but I apparently I need to pontificate it just for you.

"Does conversation is done, take L" - this level of English explains your lack of comprehension of regular words.

" I honestly can't wait for your response" - why would you? You didn't address anything I pointed out in my previous one. You are intellectually dishonest and a massive hypocrite, not to mention quite rude and filled with hate.

"I'm not offended" - oh, yeah. Totally believable. This is why you speech police even the most inoffensive words. Stay mad.

"I tend to call people with superiority complexes out." - maybe you should look in the mirror with your double standards.

pikashoe (3 days ago)

I don't have superiority a complex, I'm not better than anyone, I don't call people who like popular things normies. People are complex and have differing tastes in things, some people may have a casual interest in games but are hard core into some obscure sport. Does it make you a normie because you aren't a fan of that obscure thing.

Thinking stuff on Netflix is bad is fine, but you said there was nothing wrong with the statement that 'normies' like popular garbage. That kinda seems like you view them as inferior to you.

I didn't bother with points because they have just devolved into nonsense. It seems like you just skimmed my post, thew a lot of thoughts together and misinterpreted everything I said. Dude you can hardly call someone rude. I don't think I've said anything hypocritical. I haven't said one hate filled thing. You've insulted me over and over from the beginning.

Im not offended because your statement doesnt apply to me, i hated the witcher tv series and bought the game years ago. I honestly don't care what words you use. You made a statement using a word most commonly used on 4chan, I half jokingly said go back to 4chan. You asked what my issue with word was, You got angry and started ranting at me when I told you my issue with the word. You can say you meant it in a different way, which honestly doesnt make much sense, because you have also said that you are well aware of what the word means. If you wanted to say it differently why use a word most commonly used as an insult.

I will say again I don't have a superiority complex. I am neither above or below you or anyone else we are equals in this world. Despite what ypu may think of me i dont see you as lesser than me because we have had adisagreement. Any way have a good day, I won't be coming back to this article again so don't bother responding.

Zenos (3 days ago)

@pikashoe "I don't have superiority a complex, I'm not better than anyone, I don't call people who like popular things normies." - no, you just morally judge people who do use that word and tell them to "go back to 4chan". I would call that a prime example of superiority complex.

"People are complex and have differing tastes in things, some people may have a casual interest in games but are hard core into some obscure sport. Does it make you a normie because you aren't a fan of that obscure thing." - yes, I am a normie when it comes to sports and unlike you I don't find the term offensive.

"Thinking stuff on Netflix is bad is fine" - is it, now? What about your little fit in the previous post saying that thinking stuff on Netflix is bad also means that I put myself above people who like it?

" but you said there was nothing wrong with the statement that 'normies' like popular garbage." - you are yet to show what's wrong with that statement. Normies like fast food. Try showing how the definition that YOU provided doesn't fit that statement.

"That kinda seems like you view them as inferior to you." - absolute non sequitur.

"Lowering yourself to correcting grammar, sorry that one word in one sentence was auto corrected, I'll try not to let it happen again." - oh, I'm just demonstrating your level of English since you are all so pedantic about the meaning of words. Also nothing is low enough for you considering the pettiness of policing an innocuous word like normie.

"I didn't bother with points because they have just devolved into nonsense." - oh, how convenient. "Everything I find hard to address including my own hypocrisy I'll simply label as nonsense!" Genius!

"you just skimmed my post" - no, I quoted what you said and responded to everything.

"misinterpreted everything I said." - oh, you mean how YOU misinterpreted my initial post, huh?

"I don't think I've said anything hypocritical." - you are wrong. You used personal against me telling me to "go back to 4chan", you used insults and slurs in your post much more offensive than anything I said and you accused me of thinking I'm superior to people based on difference in taste.

"You've insulted me over and over from the beginning." - oh really now? Citation please. How did I insult you in my first comment about the data in the article? How did I insult you with my second comment asking you which word you'd rather use? You on the other hand came out swinging telling me to "go back to 4chan" and assuming bad faith from the get go while refusing to answer what you'd use while assuming my way of thinking.

"Im not offended because your statement doesnt apply to me" - yeah, you got offended on behalf of other people, which is even worse.

" i hated the witcher tv series and bought the game years ago" - considering your staunch defence of Netflix I find this hard to believe.

" I honestly don't care what words you use." - after all your messages crying about it, this is a hilarious backpedal.

" I half jokingly said go back to 4chan" - when everything else fails claim that you were joking to avoid responsibility for your words. Brilliant.

"You asked what my issue with word was, You got angry and started ranting at me when I told you my issue with the word." - no, I asked you what word would you rather use and you refused to answer, assumed bad faith and accused me that I think I'm superior to normies, that's after trying to associate me with 4chan - a site I never visit. Considering your behaviour and your personal attacks over a word I used, I would say that my response was rather measured.

" If you wanted to say it differently why use a word most commonly used as an insult." - because I don't consider normies to be bad people, contrary to your assertions, thus I don't consider it an insult. I asked you for alternatives and you straight up refused to answer what is acceptable in your narrow-minded views.

"I will say again I don't have a superiority complex." - I don't believe you, considering your censorious tendencies and aggressive manner.

"Despite what ypu may think of me i dont see you as lesser than me because we have had adisagreement." - what happened to your promise of no more spelling errors? Oh, I guess it was another lie you thought. You don't see me as lesser, but wanted to police my speech and personally attacked me? Right. Excuse me, if I don't quite buy this.

"Any way have a good day, I won't be coming back to this article again so don't bother responding." - sorry, sweetie, but I will respond since you are not dictating what I will do nor what words I won't use. In fact I will make it a point to use the word normie as frequently as the situation demands it, since it upsets rude individuals, such as yourself.