By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario and Sonic will sell 4 million - Sega

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172437

Sega believes that Mario and Sonic at the Olympics will sell 4 million units, equaling the feat of the original Sonic title released in 1991.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, which goes on sale for Nintendo Wii in November, will pit Nintendo and Sega's flagship characters against one another for the first time, and Sega believes it has a sure-fire hit on its hands.

Bloomberg reports that Masanao Maeda, a corporate director at Sega's gaming unit, forecast that the title will sell 4 million units, although he didn't specify a timeframe for achieving the milestone.

The target is equivalent to almost 20 percent of Sega's games sales during the last financial year ended March 31.

Sales of the title will no doubt be given a boost by next year's Beijing Olympics.

I expect the game to sell decently (Mario Strikers level of decent so about 1 million world wide).  I may be completely wrong but it seems Sega is being way too optimistic.  But then again anything is possible.  It might turn out to be a great game and a sort of successor to Wii Sports as the number 1 party game. 

Around the Network

I don't know about 4 million, but if done well (i really am not convinced just yet) it could do quite well

One major problem I find with it though is that the theme of 'Beijing Olympics' will be outdated by next year, but i guess that doesn't effect people buying games like Madden which are basically relevant for one year

If it's as much fun to play as Wii Sports, with Mario & Sonic. It'll do very well indeed. I'd expect a very high % of Wii owners to have this in there library.

Ultimately it'll depend on how well it's executed, and how well the controls work, but I think the potential for 4 million is there. Funny if this outsells FFXIII and MGSIV.

for me -and i think for a fair few other people as well- its sort of only a second tier game. i might pick it up second hand a little down the track (pun intended :P) but atm im not eager to get it like a lot of other wii games coming out this year.

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

well, a lot of reviews/people say MP8 sucked (although i find it quite enjoyable with my wife), but its sold over 2 million in US/JPN. Anything half decent with mario will definatly sell.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

Remember, there's a DS version too. I could see this game doing close to 3M on Wii and over 1M on DS.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

tabsina said:
I don't know about 4 million, but if done well (i really am not convinced just yet) it could do quite well

One major problem I find with it though is that the theme of 'Beijing Olympics' will be outdated by next year, but i guess that doesn't effect people buying games like Madden which are basically relevant for one year

You have got to be joking...??

The Olympics don't even start until LATE 2008!!

Olympics branded games in the past have sold *extremely* well - leading up to, through, and after the Olympics were completed. 

I think 4m for this is actually quite pessimistic. Consider that its hitting both the DS & Wii, will draw in both Sega & Nintendo fans - as well as the general public (thanks to the official Olympics license).

Nintendo are publishing this in Japan - and Sega in Europe/US (from memory).

I think (across both the DS & Wii), this will sell around 1m in Japan - by the end of '07. 1.2m in the US. And around 700k (maybe more?) in Europe.

That's 3m sales by the end of '07.

By the end of '08, I wouldn't be surprised to see total sales closer to 7m-8m. And its possible that it could do 10m (lifetime). Will wait and see...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

It's interesting that Bloomberg is the source of the news. I wonder how Sega stock is doing? In any event it will be interesting to see how this title does and compare it with the Sega forecast (and shams).

Depends on whether or not the game sucks.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

4 mil's a bit too high for me. 2 million worldwide, yeah I can see that. Especially with how well Mario Party does.

I'd say 3 million is closer.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.