By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are core gamers buying wiis even 360 and ps3 have price cut

Ok, sorry about that. Even with shovelware coming out on the Wii, why does it keep selling? 2 million software is sold a week, I know that even Wii Sports can't be produced 2 million times in a week. With that attach rate, the gamers who make up such a large sum of weekly sales are the core gamers. Like what everyone says here, only the casual gamer buys 1 or 2 games in an entire year. So why the 2 million?

I fixed it already sorry if no one understands it first

---Edit by Montana: I fixed it again. Now it should be much more legible.  

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

/*scratches his head while reading this*/

alrighty then

try to write a bit more correctly and I may try to answer to you

Time to Work !

Ok, sorry about that. Even with shovelwares come out in the Wii why it keeps selling? 2 million per week in softwares, I know even Wii Sports cant produced 2 million softwares in a week. With that attach rate the gamers who buy that weekly sales are the core gamers. Like what everyone says here, only the casual gamer buys 1 or 2 games in its entirely year. So why the 2 million?

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Well, it's because the Wii is obviously going to win this generation due solely to momentum, even if its competitors have the opportunity to catch up. This means more of the major games will be hitting the Wii once the devlopers catch up, and the system is going to end up with a fantastic line-up. Many people are going to end up with 2 systems anyway, and if you have one one of the HD systems already (or plan to get one when they are affordable) you probably won't see too much to draw you to the other unless you like more of the same.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

Do u mean the core gamers are betting on buying a console that think will win even theres no games for that system yet? And thats the reason even with shovelwares core gamers still buys it? Sorry but 2 million sales of softwares was insane. Even Super Smash Bros. cant match that...

E3 2010- Tape runs out

well why not buy a wii?

In past generations (with mostly core gamers if all casuals are wii driven), the attach rate for games was between 5-9.
why wouldn't
_SMG (platform)
_MP3 (fps)
_Zelda (action adventure)
_Brawl (fighting)
_fire emblem (SRPG)
_MKWii (racing)
_Paper Mario (RPG)
be enough for your core gamers? that is 7 games you are sure to like if you already know nintendo.
Also considering the bad GC sales, you can double that number of available great first party games for core gamers that did not have the GC.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Because its a good platform with a few gems of 'core' (though very few of the 'new hardcore' racing and FPS) games. It has platformers, adventures, fighters, RPGs - all of the old core gamer categories.

Anyway, I've seen the hardware charts and I cant believe these games are still selling:

Pro evolution soccer 318, 665
House of the dead 2 and 3 return 202, 724
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 4, 891, 403
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles 1,158, 447
Resident Evil 4 1, 743, 008
Sonic and the Secret Rings 1, 268, 463
Mysims 1, 015, 692
Bully 154, 862--------> Week 7 nice legs
Metroid Pime 3 corruption 1, 319, 074
Mario Strikers charged 1,583, 616
Madden 08 636, 196----> Still selling still
Endless Ocean 476, 613
The Simpsons game 647, 860
FIFA 08 544, 864
Smackdown VS Raw 641, 534
Sonic Riders Zero Gravity 412, 156
Dragon Quest Swords 626, 371
No More Heroes 267, 635-------> OMG! Suda51 was jumping for joy right now. It still selling you know
Tenkaichi 3 158, 461--------> Not bad considering theres a PS2 version
Naruto 364, 249
Zack and Wiki 338, 448--------> HOLY SMOKES! Who said this title was bombed? Still selling
Need for Speed pro street 458, 885

Thats all and still selling. YEP still selling. I dunno the ability of Wii selling softwares till now! Its a software magnet! O_o

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Right now Wii ticks a couple of boxes very nicely.

1) Fun and innovative and def choice for family/casual

2) loyal fanbase around core franchises (Mario, etc)

3) Zeigtgeist - its got it and you can't plan for it

4) price point and designed for current TVs

On the other hand I definately see a big difference this generation and I feel that going forward we're not going to see Wii totally take over and 360/PS3 simply fail. The reason - the hardcore and HD gamers.

Wii clearly isn't going to become the home of multi-million selling FPS / MP games anytime soon. There is a sizeable market that is going to go with 360 / PS3 right through this generation and its also a very lucrative market too.

Also, the whole games market itself is growing massively.

I know many homes with a teenager with a 360 or PS3 and a Wii for the younger kids and family fun.

I know many Nintendo fans with only a Wii.

I know many HD gamers with either 360 or PS3 or both.

The differences between Wii and 360/PS3 prevent direct crossover. If you want games like MGS or Gears of War they aren't coming to a Wii no matter how big its marketshare gets.

On the other hand neither 360 nor PS3 will ever have the core Mario games nor is it likely they will capture the Zeitgeist the way the Wii has. I feel the PS1/PS2 torch as the ubiqutous console has currently been passed to the Wii - but the Wii's specs mean that those who want GT in HD will still be getting a PS3, and those who want GoW2 will be getting a 360.

So all three are going to sell well enough and get enough games support for the foreseeable future.

The only real region that truly seems to have settled on one console is Japan, but recent evidence with PSP suggests that if they decide to start getting into HD based gaming (i.e. HD grahics) then the PS3 will likely pick up there later in this cycle (FF and MGS may of course accelerate this) IMO (360 I think just has no chance to be the HD console of choice in Japan should that opportunity ever arise).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...