By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you want a Smash clone for "mature" characters?

Tagged games:

Well?

Yes please! 9 15.52%

No thanks. 44 75.86%

Results 5 8.62%

Total:58

Super Smash Bros. is a beloved and critically acclaimed series that pits some of gamings biggest mascots against oneanother. Playstation All-Stars, while not quite reaching the heights of Smash Bros., sold fairly well and, overall, was well received. Both these games, rightfully so, feature mostly "cartoony" characters.

Let's say all parties reach an agreement and a game is released across the core four platforms: PS4, PC, Wii U, and Xbox One. Would you welcome a slightly grittier take on the concept; featuring more "mature" characters?

Let's say the game's rated T/12 for blood and minor swearing. Some examples of characters considered "mature"...

Master Chief
Cortana
Solid Snake
Big Boss
Link
Ganon
Samus Aran
Lara Croft
Captain Falcon
Kratos
Gordon Freeman

Like with Smash Bros. and PS All-Stars creative liberties would have to be taken with some of the characters. I think it's obvious that a highly recognizable and diverse group of characters could be achieved. Just by rattling off 11 characters I've come up with multiple women and a racing character; so the game wouldn't be filled with the stereotypical "buff man with an assault rifle".

Good idea?

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network

Well, I'd like some 'mature' characters, but that's mature in a different context. ;)

Wasn't Playstation All Stars supossed to be a "Mature" clone?

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Squeezol said:
Well, I'd like some 'mature' characters, but that's mature in a different context. ;)

Lol. Too bad an AO label is the kiss of death. Just like films will scale back content to not get the dread NC-17.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

You wouldn't see first party characters like Master Chief, Samus Aran, or Kratos in the game unless they were platform exclusive. In fact, this game just can't happen period unless there was some strict IP restriction, not just from 3rd parties, but from first parties. You think Konami would just give up Solid Snake for some random new IP? This game can never happen.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
You wouldn't see first party characters like Master Chief, Samus Aran, or Kratos in the game unless they were platform exclusive. In fact, this game just can't happen period unless there was some strict IP restriction, not just from 3rd parties, but from first parties. You think Konami would just give up Solid Snake for some random new IP? This game can never happen.

I know it's not realistic. It's just a "what if" to see if gamers would like it or not.

Little kids can continue playing Mortal Kombat and pretending that makes them adults. Smash Bros is great just the way it is. Sapping it of all of its personality won't result in an equal game for a different market, it will result in a shitty game suitable for no market.

BraveNewWorld said:
spemanig said:

I know it's not realistic. It's just a "what if" to see if gamers would like it or not.

I mean, I'd like it as much as I'd love to play Sly Cooper on my Wii U or for video game companies to pay me to play their games lmao. 

As long as Bayonetta is in it then do whatever you want

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

I'm all for it but judging from All Stars sales, it's probably not profitable outside of Nintendo. Granted, All Stars was not perfect or better than the Smash bros franchise, but it was still a great game. A great game nobody bought.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian