By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So is Microsoft Studios going to announce a new Halo game for WP8's launch?

Tagged games:

Windows Phone 8 is done.  They had a launch party and everything.  BUT Microsoft has, on several occasions, made it clear that they have not revealed everything that the OS can do.  So I had been thinking about what could they possibly reveal that 1) would put them in a class of their own in the smartphone race and 2) really hasn't seen much if any coverage.  

My conclusion?  Games.

They haven't said anything about any particular games coming this fall except for the ports of Words with Friends and Draw Something.  Considering that Windows Phone 8 will support Direct X, is this really the best that they are bringing?  And while gaming on iOS is by far the most appealing of the current smartphone platforms, Apple is not in a position to attract console and portable gamers in the same fashion that Microsoft is.  They can make it their BUSINESS to put first party titles that could set the tone for gaming on WP8, and that could push 3rd parties to do the same.

Whether a Halo spinoff that's part of the new trilogy would be any good using touchscreen controls is another discussion, but what do you think about this idea?

Around the Network

what?

wtf?

mmm....dafaq?

So what's the deal with all of the PS fans replying? Do you guys have any idea what's even going on with Microsoft and Windows Phone 8?

Since it was a gaming question, I thought I'd bring it up here but it seems like not many here are as well versed in what's going on with WP8. Maybe I should take this to neoGAF or maybe just stick with WP communities such as wpcentral. :(

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
So what's the deal with all of the PS fans replying? Do you guys have any idea what's even going on with Microsoft and Windows Phone 8?

Since it was a gaming question, I thought I'd bring it up here but it seems like not many here are as well versed in what's going on with WP8. Maybe I should take this to neoGAF or maybe just stick with WP communities such as wpcentral. :(

that would probably be your best bet if you want an acual discussion. No point in talking about MS at vgchartz. Every thread is filled with people who dont really care except to bash them.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
thranx said:
Darth Tigris said:

that would probably be your best bet if you want an acual discussion. No point in talking about MS at vgchartz. Every thread is filled with people who dont really care except to bash them.

and do the rest even own an xbox or care for ms?

OT: I think games on win 8 will just be a natural thing that MS doesn't have to push. just like with any other windows the games will be there, but now games will also be on tablets and phone and hopefully they will be on a simialar level

thranx said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
thranx said:
Darth Tigris said:

and do the rest even own an xbox or care for ms?

OT: I think games on win 8 will just be a natural thing that MS doesn't have to push. just like with any other windows the games will be there, but now games will also be on tablets and phone and hopefully they will be on a simialar level

Yet MS is the ONLY smartphone OS provider that is also a game publisher with it's own development teams, but they have not established themselves as THE gaming platform for smartphones with said development teams.  They have a vested interest in making such moves, as they are desperately trying to grow their single percent smartphone marketshare.  What better way than to leverage the millions upon millions of gamers that have invested in the 360 and XBL?  They've talked the talk, but not walked the walk.

Many of us NOW know that the reasons for this may have had more to do with the Windows CE backbone of WP7.  And now with WP8 using the same kernal as W8 many of those restrictions have been lifted.  What better way to make that clear than launching an impressive version of your cash cow franchise (Halo, for anyone not following along) that shows off all of the new features of the new, more robust functionality of WP8?

I love halo but I do not want to see it on a mobile device. I like windows phones though so it does need something to attract more people to buy it so it would be smart. Maybe a halo wars type game. Definitely not a FPS though as that wouldnt work

Darth Tigris said:

mmm..ok

I think hardcore gaming (HALO) is not a priority for smartphones, nor tablets.  I think Halo is a franchise to complex to be developed for a cellphone without being compromised negatively while doing so.   Considering that, I think that the directX support will be for more graphical apps, like "3D Bing MAPS" for example; like the ones of apple.

I dont think M$ will ever develop a Halo game for smarphones. maybe an app for the smartglass thing, but not a full Halo game.  If they want to create games, they need games made having in mind the userbase; and those people dont like to spend more than $5 for a game.  Those users want casual and cheap games.  You can not have a true gaming experience on a phone nor tablet, due to how people interact with the device and which are the user´s interests.  If they want Halo they would have bought a 360.