By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dr.Grass reviews Metroid Prime (Dolphin)

Tagged games:

Metroid Prime is worth (in today's terms):

10/10 48 46.15%

9.5/10 28 26.92%

9/10 11 10.58%

8/10 2 1.92%

7/10 3 2.88%

6/10 5 4.81%

Never played it 7 6.73%

Total:104

It was with great excitement that I downloaded the Prime ROM and got it set up at home. I got the Metroid Prime Gamecube bundle back in the day and it was one of my favourite games of all time. Step ahead more than 10 years, and I'm playing the same game - albeit a little prettier. This is meant to be short and sweet.

It really is a thing to behold. Each area is a meticulously crafted thing of beauty. In terms of art direction then, Prime stands among the giants of gaming, and perhaps even above them.The particle effects and attention to minute details were unprecedented. Snow, fire, electricity, sparks, fog and much more. The HUD is still among the best ever. Running on dolphin, it becomes alive in splenderous HD, with only the odd clue that this offering isn't cutting edge.

The controls are still fine. You feel like your inside an incredibly advanced suit. There is a lot of platforming - some of it precarious, but never unfair. Combat is great. You zip around the level while locking on to helpless targets and taking them out with precision and grace.

The morph ball, four visors and four weapons offer a multitude of gameplay and puzzling opportunities, and each and every one of them is expertly exploited to the max by Retro. The puzzles border on genius, and are greatly satisfying to complete. Progression is even more satisfying. It genuinely feels like you are exploring a beautiful, alien world.

And what a world! I read every single piece of lore on my last playthrough. I hadn't realized in 2002 how mind blowing the back story is to the fall of the Chozo. It feels almost religious at some points. Likewise, the hostile, phazon affected creatures that still inhabit the land have had life breathed into them. It is all just so... Perfect.

I love this game. I really do. I finished it last week after about 12 hours play time. Stellar.

2002 Score:

10/10

Modern (dolphin) Score:

9.5/10

Why the deduction? Well, despite the game still being first class, gaming has moved on. And YOU WILL see me being very critical of a few other 'classics' that certainly have not stood up to the test of time. Ther is a single (rather big) problem with the game as it stands today. Backtracking. Fetch quest. Trying to figure out a route from A to B by scrutinizing the map. Frustration. A few hours down the drain. It looks pretty, but I quit my gaming session twice because I was "over it". If there were way points a-la Red Dead Redemption, then it would have been... Perfect. As it stands, it's almost there.

Around the Network

Still my favorite game of all time

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

For reference, I played this with a 360 controller @1080p with 4xMSAA and the widescreen hack enabled. Runs like a dream.

zorg1000 said:
Still my favorite game of all time

Stands alongside MGS1 in my books.

I'll be doing MGS, SSB and Twilight Princess soon. All on dolphin.

EDIT: Hope people enjoy it.

Around the Network

I've tried it on dolphin too. But imo, the Matroid Prime Trilogy version for Wii is even better, the IR pointer is a perfect fit for this game.

Dr.Grass said:

Dont u mean SMG

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Dr.Grass said:

Dont u mean SMG

I don't have a IR pointer at home at the moment. Once I have that I'll be playing SMG for sure. Any ideas what the best solution is?

Dr.Grass said:
zorg1000 said:
Dr.Grass said:

Dont u mean SMG

I don't have a IR pointer at home at the moment. Once I have that I'll be playing SMG for sure. Any ideas what the best solution is?

No clue lol ive never used Dolphin, I was just pointing out that u misplaced the letters

freebs2 said:

I've tried it on dolphin too. But imo, the Matroid Prime Trilogy version for Wii is even better, the IR pointer is a perfect fit for this game.

I have to agree, this is close to the best use of the Wii remote in a first person game.  It makes traversing the world even more enjoyable and seemless, particularly the increased usability of the morph ball with the morph ball jump no longer dependent on the use of bombs. (You just have to make sure you use the advanced mode)

I know it won't happen but a 1080p version of the Trilogy on the WiiU would be an instant purchase for me.