By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 6: Real enough to confuse my body

Tagged games:

Gran Turismo 6 looks stunning.

It’s impossible to tell from one car completing a single track how it ups the ante as the PlayStation 3 comes to a close, but purely from an aesthetics standpoint, I thought it looked better than the PlayStation 4’s DriveClub.

It mightn’t have been quite as smooth around the edges as the more arcady next-gen racer, but the detail was vivd and the car was amazing.

Behind the wheel of a surprisingly complicated racing seat, I also learnt that it’s much harder to play a racing sim using a proper steering wheel immitating a flappy paddle gearbox.

Holy moly, oh how I did crash. A great many flamboyant skids evolved into uncontrollable spins that inevitably left me in an awkward starring contest with a wall. I decided to switch to an automatic transmission, and I couldn’t figure out how to get the ruddy thing into reverse. Opening the throttle and unleashing full power into the indestructible obstacle in hope of pushing myself to success worked the first four times, but eventually even it failed me and I had to restart.

I became a little self-conscious during the taunting loading screen, as this was all happening in Sony’s European E3 media room. But there were no snide German remarks bickering behind me as, frankly, the chap next to me was even worse, and Beyond: Two Souls in the adjacent display was much more interesting.

Despite my laughable incompetence, I had no time to focus on my flailing driving skills. I was astounded by how my body was reacting by sitting in the racing seat.

"During one of my many spectacular crashes, I had a sudden sinking feeling in my chest, as if my body was preparing for the sudden halt that never came." 

Umm, we were never actually moving me, but good work being on the ball for when this inevitably happens for real.

As I veered around a step corner, I felt the subtlest of movements in my torso as if I was expecting to be vigorously ragdolled by inertia.

I don’t know how else to explain it. Gran Turismo 6, coupled with a complete racing seat, confused my body enough to have it convinced that we were actually moving and I was on the brink of certain death.

http://ps3.mmgn.com/Articles/gran-turismo-6-real-enough-to-confuse-my

Around the Network

Yeah ive been in a seat like this, and its a real shock to the system (D-box). It's amazingly scary and satisfying at the same time.

Looking forward to seeing what GT6 is like... demo is out next week.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

ethomaz's bonus: new gameplay video.

GT6 is pretty for this gen's pattern, but it is nothing compared to what I saw in Forza 5 so far.

Birimbau said:
GT6 is pretty for this gen's pattern, but it is nothing compared to what I saw in Forza 5 so far.

For now GT6 have better features and it is a better game... first impressions from E3.

Around the Network
Birimbau said:

Well if Forza 5 couldnt beat 7 year old tech i would be worried ;) so yeah I would expect it to be better.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Demo is out next week?
Awesome. Totally gonna check it out. Trying to stay away from game info so I can be surprised, though.

Madword said:

Well if Forza 5 couldnt beat 7 year old tech i would be worried ;) so yeah I would expect it to be better.

It is not the place to discuss Forza but the 15 years old tech still have more simulation features... and Forza 5 will miss all of them.

Xen said:
Demo is out next week?
Awesome. Totally gonna check it out. Trying to stay away from game info so I can be surprised, though.

July 2nd... I can't wait.

So what it is saying is: your body is not ready

(insert reggie face)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.