By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
HappySqurriel said:

1.) Closing the studio that makes Wipeout and Formula One games (SCE Liverpool), the studio that makes Socom and Mag (Zipper Interactive), the studio that makes Twisted Metal and Warhawk (Incognito Entertainment), or the studio that made Pursuit Force and Little Deviants (BigBig Studios) may not be that significant on their own but as a group they're quite significant;

2.) and if matched by a similar number of closures of studios of similar size and quality it would be a dramatic blow to Sony's ability to produce quality games.

3.) Sony having as large of financial troubles as a company, the PS-Vita's poor hardware and software sales, along with the massive costs of ramping up to the next generation of systems almost guaranties Sony will be forced to make several studio closures over the next couple of years.

1.) Really? Let's take a look at each studio.

• Liverpool has made one game for the PS3; and it was a digital game.
  • Zipper has made two PS3 games. Only one of them has sold a million units. Both games recieved mixed reviews
  • Inognito has made two PS3 games. One of the games, I've never even heard of (Calling All Cars). The other was Wipeout, which barely sold a million units. Not too much Incognito spawned into two seperate studios (Eat,Sleep,Play and LightBox int.). So this example really doesn't support your point.
  • BigBig Studios has made ZERO PS3 games. So I don't see how their loss affects the whole PS3 vs PS4 point.

Of those studios, I only accept two as actually being making some sort of change (Zipper and Liverpool). But even then, the change is VERY tiny. One digital game, a game that sold a little over a million units, and a game that has sold ~700k. You think the absence of studios that made these three games is going to be a big loss for Sony? I don't think so.

In fact, I don't even think their closing was necessarily the result of Sony's financial trouble. These studios simply weren't producing. I'd be surprised if any publisher didn't shut them down, regardless of financial status. Sony's going to keep shutting down unproductive studios; how exactly is that a bad sign? Again, Liverpool spawned into two seperate studios. So if anything, that helped Sony. And BigBig never made PS3 games in the first place, so they're irrelavent.

2.) That's a pretty unjustified if imo. Sony is only going to close down unproductive studios. That doesn't suggest that Sony will be shutting down quality studios. As counter evidence, look at last year. Sony just purchased Sucker Punch. Sony is building it's collection of productive studios. They're just shutting down the ones that aren't worth owning; something both Microsoft and Nintendo would do. If anything, the fact that those studios were running for so long should be evidence that Sony's financials aren't hindering Sony's gaming deivision.

3.) If Sony does shut down another studio, it's going to be a studio that barely affected the PS3 to begin with...like some random developer that made one game that sold 250k. That's not a sign that Sony's financials are hindering their ability to grow (again look at the Sucker Punch example); that's a sign that Sony is making smart business decisions. If anything, that's a very good sign for Sony.

What you're essentially telling me is this: "Sony shuts down unproductive studios, they're in trouble." That makes absolutely no sense.