By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Where are you from?

Hi there when i started reading the forums, i thought that almost all of you are living in north america, but the more i read, the more i see people coming from europe aswell. because of that, i think we could make a thread here where everyone who is interested tells where he is from and maybe something about the situation in the videogame-industry iin his region. i am living in switzerland, near basel. in my homecountry, videogaming isn't that popular i think. people around twenty sure all at least know somebody who ones a console, but i guess it's around 1 of 5 of the adolescents who ownes a console himself. an important thing is that pc-gaming is quite popular here, that means that especially the hardcore-gamers are playing on the pc and don't own a console. because of that, casual games are much more important an ps2 sold well because of games like singstar. anyways, most people who want to say console are saying playstation in switzerland, because ps is so popular. but now wii is getting a good reputation too, mainly because it attracts casual gamers i think. the xbox isn't really popular here, i think this is because the people who wants to play fps's are doing that on the pc and microsoft's reputation is extremely low. now some stuff about the upcoming ps3 launch. of course the price is a reason for buying or not buying a console, but it not really plays an important role now. As i remember, the launch price of the ps2 was quite high here as well. people who are interested in games are complaining about this, but they were doing that at the x360 launch aswell, so i say that hardcore gamers who like sony are going to buy a ps3. the problem is a different one: ps2 sold well after a little time, when it had its first price drops and when the first casual games were released. now we have a console that attracts casual gamers a lot more and there's quite a hype about wii, and because of that i think there is a gap opening now and sony will have severe problems to close that gap in the next months or years, but this is not because of their price politic, but because of nintendos new strategy. it would almost be the same if ps3 would cost only 700 chf (it costs 900, though) so you see what i mean with this thread. if you think this is interesting enough, i'd like you to post something about your country.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

I'm a Chicago man, and there's plenty of gamers around here, Wii gamers, 360 gamers, definitely PC gamers...and probably some PS3 gamers, though I don't know many.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I live in the bahamas and we don't have video game retailers eg. walmart toy'r'us ebgame gametop ect. A ps3 cost 1100 for the core and 1300 for the 60gb version. and 1 bahamian dollar = 1 u.s dollar

It's in my profile, but Tucson, AZ. Lived here nearly all of my life. I have been to a few states, and Australia. Never been to Mexico even though I am less than two hours away driving. That's kinda sad.

ShinKazenoKizzu said: I live in the bahamas and we don't have video game retailers eg. walmart toy'r'us ebgame gametop ect. A ps3 cost 1100 for the core and 1300 for the 60gb version. and 1 bahamian dollar = 1 u.s dollar
Holy crap you get ripped off. Can't you buy from ebay and get shipped there for less?

Around the Network

I live in Belgium (Antwerp).. Oh and Belgium is in Europe.

A place to stand, and a place to grow We call this land Ontario! IT's a place to stand and a place to grow Ontariariario!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

ShinKazenoKizzu said: I live in the bahamas and we don't have video game retailers eg. walmart toy'r'us ebgame gametop ect. A ps3 cost 1100 for the core and 1300 for the 60gb version. and 1 bahamian dollar = 1 u.s dollar
Wow, that is horrible. i am from Miami, Florida, where the weather is hot but the women are even hotter.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

I live near Philadelphia in New Jersey...but I'm at college in the boondocks in PA. The entire town has 5000 people, the combined areas within 20 miles in any direction total maybe 30,000. At launch, Wii and PS3 both had lines at the Walmart. As far I can tell, there were 20 Wii's for the 30,000 people on launch weekend, while there were a grand total of 8 PS3's. I was number 24 in line...so I drove to Philly where there were thosands of Wii's to accomodate the metropolitan area of 5 million people...but it still took me a week to find one, looking almost non stop. I really should have pre-ordered it. That said, my friend had the same trouble finding a PS3. He pre-ordered at an F.Y.E. The F.Y.E. got 2 PS3s by the end of 2006...but had taken 30 preorders...it was pretty funny. Locally, PS3's stopped selling out quickly after Christmas. Back in New Jersey, which is the richest state in the entire USA, the PS3 was sold out in most places through about January 20, 2007 when big shipments came in. Wii is still selling out in my hometown, as it is here (my girlfriend works at Walmart). 360 actually is selling out in NJ as well. Although that is not surprising, since a number of hardcore gamers come from my town (thats what happens when the "bad" side of town has an average household income of $85,000 or so). The guy who runs IGN DS (Craig) is actually from my town. A bunch of other game journalists hail from Jersey as well. I can all but guarentee that when good games come out in NJ, everything sells out..its like Japan

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

I live in my computer chair. I bought it at a best buy in Knoxville TN. I live about 50 miles south of that.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!