By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My sound system is finally complete. (pics)

So last fall I started to assemble and do research on what I wanted for a home theater setup. Something mid-range in quality and not overly expensive.

I started out with a PS3 and a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver around mid November. The RX-V663 supports 7.2 surround with 2 extra speakers for either Zone 2 (what I'm using them for), Zone B, or presense speakers. Overall what I think is a quality system with more than enough features for a reasonable price. It supports HDMI 1.3 even though my TV doesn't. I bought my TV years ago as a cheap starter HDTV from Vizio and it has served me well so far.

So two weeks ago I finally bought the speakers for my system. I had been using old speakers borrowed from my parents which were high quality, just not a complete setup and they had been damaged due to my parents house flooding. So I bought a complete NHT Classic series 7.1 setup. Classic 3's for the Main and Center speakers, 4 Absolute Zero's for surround, and their Classic 12 for the Sub. The sub is overpowered for the apartment I'm in now, but I figured once I buy a house it'll be perfect.

In the pic above you can see the wires going up the wall to the back speakers, but since I'm in an apartment and I didn't want to spend money on those tracks, it was the best I could do. Once I get a house I'm going to run all the wires through the walls. The speakers on the ground are the ones I borrowed from my parents. Also, it looks like I need to adjust my center speaker as it is slightly off center. You can sort of see I had the Iron Man movie in the player, but my room is dimly lit so taking a good picture was near impossible.

Here is a close up of the speaker. I happen to like how they look with or without the grill. I need to clean them off, as the piano gloss finish shows my fingerprints from placing them.

Here are the rear speakers. Sadly they have to be mounted really close to my sitting position, but they still sound good after I properly balanced them. Looks like I knocked the picture frame too so I guess I need to go balance that. The map shows all the shipwrecks around PEI, so PEICanada7 if you're reading this, you should go treasure hunting. Maybe you should post your first forum post in here too

The Harmony 890 is the best controller I've ever bought in my life. The thing works like a charm and was a piece of cake to set up. Took a few hours, but mostly to figure out what I wanted rather than trying to make the controller actually work. I can control my system from any room up to 100 ft away. Which is good because rather than use all 7 speakers I'm only running 5.1 and the last two Absolute Zero's are in the kitchen and hall for Zone 2 control.

The Zone 2 is really useful as my wife loves to listen to music in the shower and while cooking and generally in the kitchen, and with the Harmony 890 she can control everything from over there. I'm considering building a true multimedia machine that doesn't suck power like the PS3 so I can store music and such. Also, I'd like my wife to be able to listen to music while I use the PS3 in the family room, so I can't use it for both at the same time. I also got these nifty wall mounts from omnimount.com that let me point the speakers in pretty much any direction. So right now the speaker is pointing toward the back room and bathroom, but if I want to point it into the kitchen I can do that really easily too. Oh, and if you're wondering about the cable running around my door it is A/V from my PC so I can watch internet TV on my TV.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

Nice. I see you still have that massive bean bag. Looked better with Mrs. Nordlead in it :p

Haha, you'll never believe this, but while I was reading this thread and looking at the pictures the fuse in my surround sound control center just blew.

AE86 said:
Haha, you'll never believe this, but while I was reading this thread and looking at the pictures the fuse in my surround sound control center just blew.

maybe it's jealous of my setup

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

nordlead said:
AE86 said:

maybe it's jealous of my setup

Probably, it is pretty sweet!

Around the Network

I feel bad for your baby already.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

I feel bad for your baby already.

why? don't you know that listening to classical music helps the baby? They even sell special straps that you can strap on your body so you get optimal audio quality to it. I one upped that. You cank the music really loud and the baby will be completely sourrounded with music and deep powerful bass.

(note, I really don't believe any of that crap )

Very nice.

/am jealous

It beats mine... by a couple of K$ probably :(

Great work, I wish I had something similar :P Have fun using them :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

nice. All I have is my TV's speakers...

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it