By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the NES can be considered as the best gaming console ever!

Here is some reasons why the NES can bear the title of Best console of video game history :

1- The NES revitalized the dying video-game industry after the crash of 1983-84.

2- The NES put on the map most of the major 3rd party publishers of the present day. Among them are Capcom, Konami, Hudson Soft, Koei, Tecmo, Rare, Bandai (now known as Namco-Bandai), THQ and Square, Enix and Taito (now known as Square-Enix).

3- The NES is also the console who introduced or popularized the most of the major franchises of today. Among them are Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, Excitebike, Kirby, Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear, Tetris, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Castlevania. And I'm sure there is so many others that I missed.

4- Technically, the NES is the console who improved its graphics the most during its lifetime. Its earliest games looked like 2nd gen games :

and its latest games looked near 4th gen games :

5- Finally, the NES sold 62 millions units. With the expansion of the market of the last two decades, a gaming console like the NES could easily reach the 200 millions mark by today's standarts.

What do you guys think of that? Could it be possible for another console to claim that title?

Around the Network

True, but ps1 is also a great console!

My favorite all-time console will forever be the PS2, in part because it is also the PS1. No denying that the NES was a groundbreaking machine, though.

NES is a wonderful machine, a very important one in the history of gaming. Personally though I rate the DS as the best console ever.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Your gonna have to thank companies like Nintendo and Sunsoft for games like thoes with great graphics.

Around the Network

PS3 60gig b/c for me is the best ever.

Don't forget the PS1 (N64 is also an exception)

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!

I can accept that..See sometimes the "Best" is different than "Favorite." My favorite console is probably the SNES, but the NES is so pivotal and set so many standards that pretty much every home console after it has just been emulating it. Hard to say if it will be surpassed..Its importance to our industry as we know it? Hell no, no other system can claim to have saved a crashing and damn near extinct industry.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

MGS didn't start on the NES though... It was made for the MSX first!

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

c03n3nj0 said:
MGS didn't start on the NES though... It was made for the MSX first!

That's why I said ''popularized''. BTW MSX was Japan only.