By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ars Technica: Sony and the "ten-year" console: a look at the argument

A look at what Sony wants, and what it has

In a time when both Hollywood and the gaming industry are just about the only two economic bright spots out there, Sony—a company with a giant foot in both worlds—has turned in some of the worst numbers in its history. But when asked to explain its lagging game sales, Sony has one answer that it can always fall back on: the PS3, you see, isn't a system that is focusing on the now. There may be a trend towards the Wii for a little while, and the 360 may be leading in sales at the moment, but the PS3 is a ten-year system. In other words, the system is yet in its infancy... but what does Sony mean by that? 

Is this a decade of gaming?

Let's look at some past quotes to see this argument in action. "We didn't get into PS3 for the first six months of 2007—we're into this for the next 10 years and beyond," Jack Tretton told the LA Times in 2007. "A million units one way or another at this point isn't going to worry us.... The PS3 is ahead of the market, while the Xbox 360 and the Wii were designed for immediate market impact," he continued. The sales didn't need to come in 2007, Sony would pull ahead in 2008, and besides, the PS3 has ten years! Everything else will be dust in five or so, right? 

The real ten-year machine: the PS2

The PlayStation 2 was released in North America in 2000, meaning that we're a little over eight years into that console's life. By every metric, the PS2 has been a huge success, making headlines when its sales passed 50 million units over its lifetime in North America alone. This is what a ten-year product looks like: a massive early success, a growing value proposition as prices came down with age, and the whole enterprise buoyed by amazing first- and third-party support. 

The PlayStation 2 was also at the right place at the right time. Sony had hyped the system so well, and was coming off great success with the PSone, that it was able to crush Sega like a grape. In spite of its technical prowess and devoted fan base, the Dreamcast didn't last long against the full might of Sony.

And Nintendo, for its part, had a cartridge-based system that was expensive to release games for; indeed, those cartridges were just as expensive for consumers. The criticisms that Nintendo aimed for a younger audience and largely found success with its own games aren't new ones; the N64 made money for Nintendo, no doubt, but few were invited to the party. The GameCube, which followed the N64 and found niche success, was in the same mold. When it came to more adult, disc-based games, Sony had the ring all to itself.

Everyone at Sony seemed to know how good they had it, and they grew the installed base by leaps and bounds, creating wonderful games and peripherals for the system. Many of today's gamers can look back on as many warm memories and life-defining moments playing the PS2 as the previous gaming generation could with the SNES. But Sony grew arrogant during this time, and thought that it could out-hype the 360 the same way it did the Dreamcast. This was, to put it lightly, an insane miscalculation. Microsoft is not Sega, and it had the will and the bank account to stay in the red as long as it takes to get profitable. Sony had never gone against a well-entrenched and successful competitor with as great a fighting spirit as Microsoft showed, and they're still dealing with the new marketplace. 

The second challenge facing Sony was that the Nintendo Wii isn't the Nintendo 64, and it sure as hell isn't the GameCube. The addition of a waggle-based controller may have invited early jokes, but Nintendo is dominating the industry, and its wave has not broken yet. Sony can claim that it's not in the same market as the Wii until it's blue in the face, but no one can escape the fact that in this economy every dollar given to a competitor's consumer electronics product is a dollar that you're not getting. Just because Nintendo proved that a larger market doesn't care about high definition doesn't mean you can dismiss the effect those sales are having on your business.

While the Nintendo Wii may have a wider demographic than the other two systems, it is still competing with its more powerful friends on retail shelves. Take my friends Scott and Courtney, who are usually my case study when it comes to casual gaming. They're in their late twenties, they have a baby, and they just bought their first HDTV. They have a Wii hooked up to it, and Scott wants to get a 360 or a PS3 so he can enjoy some console online play and perhaps watch a Blu-ray or two. For Christmas, he bought his wife a Nintendo DS, which she plays in the evenings. She likes New Super Mario Bros. Now, while neither Microsoft or Sony will ever say that their home consoles are competing with the Nintendo DS, like every family, Scott and Courtney keep a budget for their entertainment expenses, and that DS means no 360 or PS3 in the near future. It's a competition, and everyone is fighting each other. The Nintendo Wii is hurting the PS3, no matter how much the talking heads want you to forget it. 

So while the PS2 is still going strong on a ten-year timeframe, that success is the result of a very favorable set of conditions for Sony, and those conditions don't obtain for the PS3. The Wii and the 360 are formidable opponents backed by deep pockets, and Sony didn't have a fight this hard with either the PSone or PS2. 

Old but not alone

Being old doesn't mean you're alone when you're a console. Far from it

So the PS2 is a true ten-year system, but for the end of those years it will be living with its older brother. And that's the bothersome thing that Sony doesn't really talk about: being in the market for ten years doesn't mean that the company won't release a new console when the Xbox 720 or whatever is released; it simply means that the PS3 will be on store shelves in ten years. Kaz Hirai had some strong words with the Official PlayStation Magazine recently."And with the Xbox—again, I can't come up with one word to fit. You need a word that describes something that lacks longevity," he said. "Last time I checked, they've never had a console that's been on the market for more than four or five years and we've committed to a ten year life cycle, so you do the math..."

Keep in mind it was also said that backwards compatibility was important to the PlayStation line of products, and that rumble was a last-generation feature. If it's in Sony's best interests to dump the PS3, the company will do so without a moment's hesitation, and to hell with whatever they've said in the past.

Sony has done plenty of innovating, but it didn't need the expensive Blu-ray drive or Cell to do it 

What we do know is that at least in the US market, the Xbox 360 sales don't show many signs of slowing, even in the face of the PR disaster that the Red Ring of Death brought Microsoft. The prices are coming down much quicker than Sony can afford to follow, meaning that Microsoft is already leveraging its software support and aging technology into a low-cost system to try to maintain long-term appeal. Sony simply doesn't have the sales yet to do that, and so far there has been little evidence that those sales are coming. So the talking point of the ten year system is just that, a talking point.

So what of Sony's two claimed advantages over the 360: a more advanced processor design, and Blu-ray support? Regarding the first, Sony has only recently begun to offer parity in terms of graphics to the 360, and it seems unlikely that the increases in graphics we've seen with the PS3 will continue on the same curve. Of course, anything is possible in theory, and enterprising developers managed work new wonders with the Playstation 2 hardware even as the PS3 was preparing for launch. The real question, though, is whether the "graphics gap" that Sony is banking on at some point in the future will be able to make up for damage to sales and title support that the price gap is doing to the platform right now.

As for Blu-ray, color us unconvinced that in a world of broadband and networked consoles, Microsoft's DVD game format will prove to be its undoing. Still, Sony has kept pushing the idea Blu-ray is a necessity for games. Sony's Phil Harrison talked up Blu-ray for gaming in 2006, saying that early titles were already filling up the discs. "It's not just about graphics," he said. "It's about 7.1 audio, it's about speech, it's about having up to 1080p movies built into the game; it's high-res textures, it's animation, it's everything that goes into making a very rich and varied next-gen experience. Partly it's visual, partly it's sound, and partially it'll be down to gameplay benefits as well - more levels, more detail, richer experiences."

Some devs do indeed moan about squeezing their games onto the Xbox 360's smaller media format, but this issue is less apparent to everyday gamers. I can name you plenty of PS3 games with a ton of levels and good experiences, but I can do the same thing on the 360. Blu-ray doesn't enter into it for most gamers.

Everyone has a ten year plan, and we shouldn't forget it

We realize that talking about consoles in a story such as this is a precarious thing; no matter what you do, you're apt to attract mobs of readers with pitchforks and torches. But it's important to look at the heart of the ten year argument and realize that it's mostly smoke and mirrors. Every company that creates a consumer electronics product as expensive as a gaming console has at least a ten year plan, and Microsoft knows that the majority of their sales are going to happen once the system gets to the sub-$150 price point; they're also in the best position to get there quickly. 

As for the Nintendo Wii... well, it's nearly impossible to speculate on that. Nintendo has been re-writing the rules of when and how you create a gaming console almost as long as they've been in the business, and the Wii is clearly setting the pace. It's impossible to guess if consumers will still be interested in the Wii when its successor is realized, and if anyone is willing to guess about what that successor is going to look like, they have a better crystal ball than I do.

We also can't discount the possibility that Sony gets out of the gaming business altogether. This possibility is unlikely, but if Sony can move the Cell processor into more devices and Blu-ray becomes as popular as DVD, the company could at least make its R&D money back. As for the ten-year plan? They had better start selling more systems, and find a way to drop that price if they hope to tap into the casual and lower-cost market that the PS2 has served so well in the twilight of its life.

Source

***********************************************************************************************

I think it's a good article to put everything in perspective especially the example used to show that even a DS purchase would impact the console sales.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network

Good article. I love the "everyone has a 10 year plan" statement.

Shows that the "10 year plan" statement from Sony was just their way of trying to get consumers to invest in the system and hopefully with enough investements they can make it last for 10 years.

Like a pyramid scheme... :)

Short version:

Being "ahead of its time" isn't really a good thing at all. It usually means that something else very similar comes along later—at the right time—and actually succeeds. Success doesn't flow from making the right product at the wrong time, but from making the right product at the right time.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The "10-year plan" was never a plan per se. It was two other things:

1- A "10-year hope", as in SCE's employees "hope" that the PS3 will last 10 years.
2- A marketing buzz term (to try and convince customers to invest on the PS3 as it's a future proof investment).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I was going to post something on the Atari 2600, figuring that it would of had at least a 10 year shelf-life, and found out it didn't really do that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_2600

Look like it went from 1977-1984. It was supplanted by the NES post-bust actually. And you still can buy systems that play NES and SNES games. Some independent 3rd parties make consoles that play them. Does that mean the NES and SNES are still around.

Anyhow, if a console is expected to last 10 years, doesn't that mean it is the lead console for a company, the way the 2600 ended up being for Atari? The 2600 actually outlasted the 5200, its successor.

The PS2 is said to be around 10 years, for example. But can one say that it actually has been Sony's main offering for 10 years? Isn't Sony pushing the PS3 now? When I hear Sony discuss 10 year plan, it sounds like they are now saying the PS3 will end up being their main offering for 10 years.

Has any company ever been able to have a system be their main offering for 10 years? Is Sony going to keep doing a tech refresh, and put more RAM in the PS3, to handle more games in the future?

EDIT: Updated information on the Atari 2600 in a post below (Atari 2600 went beyond 10 years).

Around the Network

richardhutnik said:

Has any company ever been able to have a system be their main offering for 10 years? Is Sony going to keep doing a tech refresh, and put more RAM in the PS3, to handle more games in the future?

I don't think the system has to be "the main offering". Just that it has games coming out and is profitable.

Sega Genesis was close 1988 - 1996

PS2 IS very close and will most likey make it 2000-2008

But winner is the original Gameboy. 1989 - 2000

The PS3 is bleeding edge. Most people are hesitant to be cutting edge.

That's the problem of being out too far in front. Usually you (the business) falls off.

That might be what Sony is experiencing -- too much + too soon --> too bad.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I want to chime in with another article on the Atari 2600:
http://www.atariage.com/2600/index.html?SystemID=2600

1977-1989
Then, in October 1977, Atari released the Atari VCS (Video Computer System) with an initial offering of nine games. This system, later renamed the Atari 2600, would come to dominate the industry for many years.

Atari continued to manufacture these games until 1989. However, it was apparent that the 2600, a decade after its introduction, was finally at the end of its run. Although it was still produced and marketed outside of the US, the Atari 2600 finished its run in America. No other console has had such a long history or sold as many systems in the U.S.

So, looking at a 12 year run. I had thought it went that long, but wasn't sure. Atari 2600 was the only system survive the videogame crash of the 1980s.

A well written article. Which unfortunately kicks the last leg out from under the table, and thus will be ignored at best. Attacked at worst. This has been explained numerous times, but there is a sizable number of posters who steadfastly refuse to entertain this most simple logic. I guess it is true people cling tightest to last shred of hope.

I really wish the ten year plan which is entirely bullshit would vacate these forums. It is not a feature, and it has never been a real facet of the debate. It is what some posters fall back on. Which is kind or ironic, because most of these posters do not play one eight or nine year old consoles. When the next generation consoles come they are first in line.

Silly Atari people.

The NES' lifespan was 1983 - 2007. 10 year plans are for wimps.