By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How we learn to play games and why we keep playing them - What is a game?

Has anyone sat down and watched a group of ~five-year old kids play/interact? What do they do? My niece when she was five wouldn't play Wii Sports except boxing (which she demolished everyone at) and could not play Mario Kart at any competitive level (but she still liked playing Mario Kart, how odd). I asked her why she liked to play Mario Kart and she said "it's fun". Same thing with boxing, she liked it because it was fun.

Without trying out Wii Music I do personally really wonder what kind of experience I'm going to get from it. I'm also wondering what my now six-year old niece will get from it. If kids like it, the 5-9 year old group, this will be fantastic. It will make babysitting so much easier. I can already see them making their own game with their own rules within the toy. I think they may use the toy to play a game. What a novelty.

I've seen girls, aged 9-12, play Animal Crossing and make games within the game. Stuff like collecting fruit or fishing, collecting fossils, etc. Or they'll design pattern swatches (for hours) and compare them, put them on different clothes, dress up their avatar... and design more pattern swatches. I don't think anyone is going to be able to read this far without falling asleep and I doubt there will be even one response the first day this is posted, but here's the fact; There's no winning or losing, it's pure play and creativity. And for some reason they seem to enjoy it. I don't know, I don't get it.

Around the Network

Nobody responded to your "use a toy to play a game" comment?

I thought that would've pissed somebody off.

October 20th, and Koji Kondo is overseeing the project? Count me in. The man is a genius. Did you see his interview at the GDC last year when he talked about Super Mario Bros., Ocarina of Time, and New Super Mario Bros.?