By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiconnect24 overheating and damaging Wii GPU

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=wii_tech&message.id=85784

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xdWnsw3Yckc (not mine, I have green artifacts)

As titled, so turn off your Wiiconnect24 before it's too late.

Why do I mention this? Because I too have noticed green artifcats after buying Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, I am in the process of calling and gettinig it repaired, I'll update as repair progress.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network

Here we have 3 Wiis on 24/7 and no problems at all so far.

Nice to see Nintendo doing their bit for global warming!

I left it on only one night, and noticed that it got hot. I was not going to take chances, especially since I see no reason to have it on 24/7, so I disabled it, so it would go on stanby rather than Wiiconnect24

No problems here yet, I've had mine on 24/7 since day launch.

Currently playing:
Wii: MySims | Xbox360: Halo3 / Pac-Man C.E | DS: Scurge | PSP: Ghost in the Shell

"Lesbians, Better then eMail."
~Lanky Man - My Big Fat Independent Movie

oops double post.

Currently playing:
Wii: MySims | Xbox360: Halo3 / Pac-Man C.E | DS: Scurge | PSP: Ghost in the Shell

"Lesbians, Better then eMail."
~Lanky Man - My Big Fat Independent Movie

Around the Network

once artifacts show up it only gets worse - I killed one of my graphicscards like that (by overclocking .. well it already was 2 years old at that time so I wasn't overly sad about it dieing)

Yeah, the artifacts are especially noticeable during fog scenes, and a part of the begining intro. The support/phone line is pretty busy so I just sent an e-mail instead. Hope they get some firmware update soon to prevent this problem.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

When you say on 24/7 do you mean grean light or yellow light?
Because, I have on standby all the time, and had no problem. But is it better to have Wii24Connect in off mode?
Because I don't use my wii for mails, and internet updates are not send very often.

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

Its probably a limited problem, just keep your Wii in a ventialted, cool area and it shouldn't be an issue

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Just turn off your standby mode, Wiiconnect24 can be on with green light, yellow light have the same status as green light except the cooling fan isn't running, which "seems" to be where the problem is.

BTW, the damage is permanent after overheating, so you need to get your Wii repaired or replaced if you notice it.