By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Dark Knight "influence" from Metal Gear Solid is shameful

After having watched this overrated but mediocre movie it's hard not to be beaten over the head with all the apparent coincidential similarities to MGS.

Batmans raspy voice, which came out quite forced seemed like a nod to David Hayters Solid Snake as the two characters sounded essentially alike (besides the fact that SS sounds much more natural having done this voice for over a decade)

The thematics and pseudo philosophies of TDK also quite overtly borrowed from MGS. The themes of chaos, control, manipulation, heroes, anarchy, etc were simply too numerous to be considered merely nods to MGS. Much like The Matrix practically ripped off Ghost in the Shell (and did a poor job at that) TDK quite shamefully borrowed almost complete lines from Kojima's games. Some of the lines of being a hero (or not being one), of chaos and control were so similar to dialogue used in MGS that it felt almost distracting while watching the movie.

That TDK made such shallow use of Kojima's deep thematics was ever so aggrivating, not to mention the fact that I had not see the director or writer admit to MGS serving as an obvious influence is what makes this all the more shameful. 

Around the Network

You do know the film is based on one Frank Miller's graphic novels right? It was published in the 1980 IIRC.

Funny I thought you'd be a decent addition to the community at first, first impressions heh..

Edit: Actually I was wrong, the storyline was based on The Long Halloween apparantly. Published in '96. So if you're talking about Metal Gear Solid 4 you're way off, if the MGS series in general.. MGS was published in '98 I think.

Yeah...MGS is influenced by Batman if anything.

Speaking of David Hayter, he's writing the script for The Watchmen movie...I hope he does a good job.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

You honestly have an unhealthy obsession with MGS. Let me break it to you, the world doesn't actually revolve around Metal Gear Solid.

This thread is epic fail.

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:

Yeah...MGS is influenced by Batman if anything.

Speaking of David Hayter, he's writing the script for The Watchmen movie...I hope he does a good job.

I hope so, because the subjects on that movie can´t be easily translated on the big screen without loosing the mass market appeal...

On topic, now I know you are a joke account...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

wow. DTG you never cease to amaze me

You realize Dark Knight was finished end of last year??? Way before MGS4 was out or we knew much about the game? sigh

I could list a dozen other "influences" that mention heroes, anarchy, chaos, etc...doesn't really mean anything. The Dark Knight's story has been gradually written over the past two decades...I don't think you could call Metal Gear Solid anything more than a minor influence.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

The Tim Burton Batman played by Michael Keaton used a low raspy voice. That movie was relased 19 years ago. Wow, time sure flies!