By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Consumers rank Sony above Apple,MS & Nintendo in innovation survey

Consumers rank Sony above Apple in innovation survey

by Alex Brownsell Marketing 16-Jun-08, 09:18

LONDON - Technology brands such as Sony, Apple and Microsoft have topped a new survey of brands, which consumers consider to be innovative.

The survey, by branding consultancy Incite, also suggests that more traditional brands like Barclays, HSBC, Royal Mail and British Airways are 'more likely to be seen as boring and dull'.

The study questioned nearly 500 consumers between the ages of 18 and 65 years old, as well as carrying out three focus groups with pre-family, family and post family demographic groups.

Incite asked participants to name brands they consider to be the most and least innovative, and to explain their reasons.

The survey, to be repeated on an annual basis, revealed that 74% of consumers respect brands that are 'constantly moving forward'. In addition, 85% said they want new products to make their life easier, although 60% are against the idea of creating something new for the sake of it.

The top 20 innovative brands are:

• 1.  Sony
  • 2.  Apple
  • 3.  Microsoft
  • 4.  Virgin
  • 5.  Nokia
  • 6.  Dyson
  • 7.  Nintendo
  • 8.  Tesco
  • 9.  Sky
  • 10. Panasonic
  • 11. Honda
  • 12. Samsung
  • 13. Google
  • 14. Phillips
  • 15. Dell
  • 16. Toyota
  • 17. eBay
  • 18. Amazon
  • 19. BT
  • 20. Toshiba

http://www.brandrepublic.com/BrandRepublicNews/News/816989/Consumers-rank-Sony-above-Apple-innovation-survey/?DCMP=EMC-Daily%20News%20Bulletin

Interesting, how valid do you think this survey is?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

oh now that is just sad, nintendo work so hard on motion sensing for people to be like meh, we still like analogue sticks lol

Yeah, Obieslut, like Sony is only gaming ;)

But it does surprise me. But it doesn't matter anymore, the consumers clearly liked Nintendo's innovation enough to make the Wii sell more than the PS3.

^^^ yea, but for the average consumer, what has Sony come out with that is innovative? I can't think of anything myself.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Everyone probably thinking the ps2 lol, but that was more like evolution.

"at the person with the complicated name and SMG avatar, when most pepole think of sony they think of the playstation brand staright away, i am sure sony would not be on that list if they never made the sony playstation

Around the Network

Sony's core strength is in minituarizing and in that aspect aswell as electronics in general they are the leading company. I do suspected Phillips to be higher though.

As for validity: They tested a full corporation with a lot of branches (Sony) to company's who only work from a core-perspective (nintendo.) We don't know how the survey was administred (online? Email? Mail? on the street?) and how the family's where selected.

So I'd say not really a valid study.

I do wonder if sony will use this in their next NPD spin.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

wow...wouldnt suspect microsoft to be so high, especially from a foriegn country

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

I guess Nintendo will climb on this list during this generation of consoles.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.