By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass Effect 2 Tech Analysis (Digital Foundry)

As we had a thread last week on Mass Effect 2's graphics I thought this might be of interest to some. Sorry if this is already posted:

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-mass-effect-2-article

Summary:

• Cut scenes can drop to 20fps to maintain the high level of detail in characters during cut-scenes
  • Frame-rate and tearing issues from first game greatly improved
  • The 2XAA from 1 has been completely turned off; depth of field and bloom are used to compensate (Obviously on PC you can turn this on via hardware)
  • Whilst models from 1st game are still present on characters, apparent sub-surface scattering introduce improved shader effects on faces
  • Higher quality shadow maps in sequel
  • Main advantages of PC version are performance related (better frame-rates) and 16XAnistropic filtering. Otherwise, PC version a bit dissappointing to those with powerful machines

Improvements for 3 (imo): I'd quite like to have seens some more variety and details in environments. The majority of the game is set in urban environments (relatively simple I believe) with a few jungle areas. If I'm going to be visiting other planets I want some weirder stuff! Also, I'd like those environments to be less static (wind blowing leaves and branches instead of static trees).

Around the Network

So it isn't the best graphics on consoles ever then?

Carl2291 said:

I wouldn't know, im playing it on PC because edge detect AA makes me horny.

Tease.

I feel dumb when I read these. I don't understand what they are talking about. Lol.

Squilliam said:
Carl2291 said:

Best graphics on PC ever?

Around the Network

Best graphics on Xbox 360 at least?

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Carl2291 said:
Squilliam said:
Carl2291 said:

Best graphics on PC ever?

Hmm... Close! An HD 5870 even on a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo doesn't deviate from 60FPS much at all. Its exceedingly well optimised for PC.

Tease.

I think Mass Effect 2 is the best loking game graphically on the Xbox 360 as of right now, i expect to see that bar raised with Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Halo: Reach.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

Scoobes said:

As we had a thread last week on Mass Effect 2's graphics I thought this might be of interest to some. Sorry if this is already posted:

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-mass-effect-2-article

Summary:

• Cut scenes can drop to 20fps to maintain the high level of detail in characters during cut-scenes
  • Frame-rate and tearing issues from first game greatly improved
  • The 2XAA from 1 has been completely turned off; depth of field and bloom are used to compensate (Obviously on PC you can turn this on via hardware)
  • Whilst models from 1st game are still present on characters, apparent sub-surface scattering introduce improved shader effects on faces
  • Higher quality shadow maps in sequel
  • Main advantages of PC version are performance related (better frame-rates) and 16XAnistropic filtering. Otherwise, PC version a bit dissappointing to those with powerful machines

Improvements for 3 (imo): I'd quite like to have seens some more variety and details in environments. The majority of the game is set in urban environments (relatively simple I believe) with a few jungle areas. If I'm going to be visiting other planets I want some weirder stuff! Also, I'd like those environments to be less static (wind blowing leaves and branches instead of static trees).

I noticed that in the occassional cut scene, but that makes it sound like it happens all the time like in Mass Effect when it really doesn't.

CGI-Quality said:
Carl2291 said:

It's definitely one of the best looking though, the character models are very detailed. I'd argue, still, that's it's currently the best looking title on the 360, while being in direct battle with Gears 2.

It's definately got very good character models which I think is a strong focus for Bioware (the character models were the graphical highlight of Dragon Age also). I think there is something lacking in the environments though. Most are fairly simple although artistically well done, but they lack some detail and they tend to feel a bit static. There really isn't much in the physics department.