Forums - Sony Discussion - Why I'm Not Excited for Gran Turismo 7

Tagged games:

Are You Excited for GT 7?

Yes, I will get it on PS5. 29 37.18%

Yes, I will get it on PS4. 1 1.28%

Not really, but I enjoyed... 21 26.92%

No, but I am not intereted in GT at all. 27 34.62%

Total:78

So Gran Turismo 7 finally had its release date revealed yesterday. It is coming out on March 4, 2022. Compared to the PSP, PS3, and PS4 lifecycles this is a relatively early debut for GT on the new generation. I am a big fan of GT. GT Sport is my most played PS4 game at more than 80 hours of playtime. Yet for some reason I just can't get hyped for GT7 and there are a few reasons why.

1) There is nothing new or exciting about it. Even going through the press release I struggle to find any new features or gameplay modes to look forward to. They seem to be stressing the return of the GT campaign mode after singleplayer took a backseat to online play in GT Sport. But GT Sport had a ton of offline single player race events to play through. I'm sure GT7's will be better organized and more comprehensive, but it really is not that big of a change. Also why so much emphasis on the Photo mode? I enjoyed it in GT Sport but it's not the most thrilling gameplay experience.

2) The graphics don't impress me. I know we are doomed by diminishing returns but I honestly don't see much of a step up in terms of visual presentation. Even though all of the footage shown so far has been of the PS5 version, they show a lot of replays and pre-rendered visuals rather than direct gameplay. Even the gameplay footage is not that impressive. Maybe its time to change up the visual aesthetic because it all looks so plain, sterile, and artificial.

3) It's cross gen with PS4. Yeah, I can't get hyped knowing they had to make sure this game ran on PS4 hardware as well. It honestly makes the GT6 on PS3 debacle even more confusing, if anything that game should have been cross gen because the PS4 was not backwards compatible and therefore incapable of playing GT 6. Will online feature cross gen play? How much will the loading times differ? Does the pixel count for cars differ between both versions? So maybe GT8 at the end of the gen will be fully PS5 exclusive, maybe it will feature PSVR 2 support as well.

I'm sure the game will be fine and I will get it on PS5 eventually, but this isn't shaping up to be the triumphant return to glory that I was hoping it would be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Cross gen doesn't hold back racing games especially driving simulators lol. It's not an action/fps game, the level design and mechanics are literally the same as any driving simulator across any gen. All they need to do is to improve graphical fidelity such as resolution, fps, assets and textures, dynamic weather, and more which gives you a next gen Gran Turismo for PS5.

I think it’s time for a Gran Turismo Kart. All of the upgradability of a Gran Turismo title with the color, fun, and mischief of Mario Kart. Let’s take this sim genre to a new place.

I enjoyed Gran Turismo immensely when I was a kid primarily GT1 and GT2, a lesser extent GT3. GT4 was when I lost interest in simulation racing games. I could also never really get into the Forza Motorsport games much either. Need For Speed, Midnight Club, Forza Horizon and Burnout were far more interesting (and still are for the most part) than simulation racing games.

ratolmc said:

Cross gen doesn't hold back racing games especially driving simulators lol. It's not an action/fps game, the level design and mechanics are literally the same as any driving simulator across any gen. All they need to do is to improve graphical fidelity such as resolution, fps, assets and textures, dynamic weather, and more which gives you a next gen Gran Turismo for PS5.

Except cross-gen rules out dynamic weather for online races. Unless PD splits the races.

Actually PD hasn't said anything about dynamic time and weather, maybe this will be the 2nd gen in a row where that's missing. They are adding more weather presets (obsessing over aerosol particles) but what fun is that in endurance races.

The other problem is the penalty system, will we get a serious effort this time or will it continue to promote bad driving behavior. That can be done on the server side so cross gen won't be holding that back, only PD's incompetence in enforcing racing rules.

GT Sport was designed for PS4 and PS5, the detail is already there. PS5 will simply render at higher resolution and lod. However the intention was to get rid of the baked lighting and weather for GT7 and do it real time to get dynamic races. This preview seems to just add more baked in presets. Which makes sense as the ps4 won't be able to handle real time changes.

That's two strikes for me against GT7, but PD can still get me excited if the full game will be playable in PSVR 2.0. It should be possible, it already works on ps4 with 2 cars on track. The ps5 should be enough of a step up to render the rest and up the resolution.

Around the Network

That's cool man, I've been waiting for a proper GT game for years.

super_etecoon said:

I think it’s time for a Gran Turismo Kart. All of the upgradability of a Gran Turismo title with the color, fun, and mischief of Mario Kart. Let’s take this sim genre to a new place.

Well there is kart race on Gran Turismo, at least on GT 6 I played it a lot =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
gooch_destroyer said:

That's cool man, I've been waiting for a proper GT game for years.

GT is so freaking damn good it actually made me click the like button on a Googh post.

Missed you too, you-you SOB. lol

DonFerrari said:
super_etecoon said:

Well there is kart race on Gran Turismo, at least on GT 6 I played it a lot =p

Karts made there appearance in GT Sport as well, great fun online

I was more impressed that the crowds were actual 3d and not paper like. That too me was a big improvement lol. Even trees look like trees