By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Skyward Sword HD worth $60?

Tagged games:

Has Skyward Sword HD been worth $60?

Yes 23 38.33%

No 33 55.00%

I'm not going to bother to find out 4 6.67%

Total:60

There's been a lot of arguments about whether or not the changes to Skyward Sword HD were enough to warrant a $60 price tag or it was just Nintendo doing a lazy port of the game, but I honestly think it's been worth the price of admission.

I never played the original game because by that point, I was done with the Wii's motion controls and when I saw this game was ONLY motion controls, I decided to skip it. But when I saw this remaster was going to have a button only control option, I decided it was time to finally play it. 

Considering that the original game sold only 3.67 million copies with a near 100 million Wii install base at that time, not many have played this game. When it comes to home console Zelda games, SS is one of the worst selling, barely ahead of only Majora's Mask I believe (maybe Four Swords Adventures) but that was only on a 30 million N64 install base. I imagine the low sales of SS were primarily for the motion controls, but considering Zelda is at it's all time popularity high now, it was a good time to re-show the original game in the Zelda time line. Especially with Breath of the Wild 2 returning to the skies!

I'm happy to see that this is actually a REALLY good game!! I'm already 20 hours into it and yet I've only completed 3 dungeons, although I am doing every side quest I find. Last I played, I had just entered the Ancient Cistern dungeon, which from what I've heard is the best dungeon in the game! Just taking into account the length of the game, it's worth $60 because it's insane how long this game is! There is some filler for sure, but by no means has it ruined my experience or felt it was too much. The story is really intriguing seeing the beginnings of the Master Sword and the Kingdom of Hyrule, and seeing the pieces slowly being put together. The pacing isn't the best, but it's tolerable for sure. But the music though.......AMAZING!!!! This was the first Zelda game to have a full orchestra for the score, and my god I can't get enough of the music! It's so epic to listen to and I highly recommend listening to the music if you decide to not play the game. 

All in all, there's so much to this game! With BotW having sold over 23 million copies, there are so many more new Zelda fans than there ever has been, and there are a lot of people that'll enjoy a more traditional Zelda game. The combat is what I'm most critical about where a full on remake would've been the only solution for this, but it's certainly passable once you get used to the button controls. But with the runtime of the game being around 40-50 hours I'm thinking, running at 1080p 60fps, QoL changes that would've unbearable if they brought from the Wii version, insanely fun dungeons (bosses so far being kinda easy), and the story/music, I would say I had no problems paying the $60. 

Around the Network

You can get it for $49.94 on Amazon in the U.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

For those who don't have it already on Wii, yes, definitely worth it.

I don't think they should be charging $60 for it, but if you have $60 worth of fun with it then why not.

Depends how much enjoyment you get out of it and how much $60 is worth to you.

No its not. Its a great title but price is very questionable.

Around the Network

Yes. One of the finest zelda games with best in series dungeons. Being able to play without motion is a joy. And I think many forgot how bad SD looks.

No. 

aonuma Style, go away!

Play BoTW and wait Aonuma crazyness don´t ruined BoTw2

I would say anyone that hasn't played it should consider it. I did play the Wii version and haven't played the Switch version and don't plan on it myself. I would rate SS the worst console Zelda game, but even the worst Zelda game is quite bit better than a lot of games out there. The first few hours are a bit annoying, but once you get passed that its a Zelda game and is fun.

$40 at best. The textures looks like upscaled dolphin and there's some QoL changes. The game itself might be fun enough but the port is certainly not worth the asking price. They did a pretty lazy job imo.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Having just completed the Switch version (and previously owning the original), I'd have to say yes. 

Skyward Sword had always been my least favourite of the 3D Zeldas - thats not to say I did not enjoy the game, I just felt it fell short in some ways (not the story, that excelled in my opinion). However, BotW left me wishing for a return to linear Zelda and Skyward Sword has reminded me how much it works, especially with some of the improvements introduced in this version. I played the entire game without motion and felt it worked well, much like the original I think the sword mechanic adds an interesting twist to run of the mill enemy encounters. 

Slightly off topic (and I know I'm in a minority) but I've got my fingers crossed for at least some linearity in BotW2 too.