By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Give me an arcade racer!

Tagged games:

What arcade racer would you like Sony to bring back and how would you make it work?

Riiiiiiiiidge Raaaacerrrrrrr! 4 36.36%

Motorstorm shall bring th... 3 27.27%

VGC needs it's own DriveClub 1 9.09%

Gran Turismo Horizons 0 0%

Something new 2 18.18%

Arcade racers are dead. 1 9.09%

Total:11

Motorstorm, DriveClub, Ridge Racer, Split Second... dammit Sony give me a nice arcade racer!

I think the biggest issue is how little these games probably sell now a days. I grew up playing them at the arcades and then these coin up translated to home console disc sales and as time went on, these games started to see a decline.

I still want one. What I would do to have another DriveClub and add Svennoj again to unlock everything through his dedication and his perfect driving skills. Unfortunately that studio is fine and Sony seems to have all but forgotten about it.

The issue I think it's these games can work, but the way to deliver them has changed. Like GTS, I believe the idea is to release it I've a gen and then keep updating it as supposed to releasing one no annually or anything.

I would love to see another MotorStorm or DriveClub where we have clubs and work together to build our rep. Imagine a VGChartz club?

Why can't Sony upgrade DriveClub to run 4K at 60FPS, and add some new tracks. Have a yearly season pass at £15-20 that has a transparent model like DC did where you know how many cars you're getting along with how many tracks. It don't need to have GT number of vehicles.

Why not add that Motorstorm dynamic where with heavy rain the lap night change due to flooding port high winds see debris cover parts of the track. Maybe a lightning bolt strikes sooner trees and causes a fire? It don't need the scale of destruction MT Apocalypse had, but something is better than nothing. 

Those rainy races would have a whole new dynamic.

Add in those Microtransactions for cosmetics so you can pump out your club and create your own celebrations for when you win. Fireworks, balloons, plants flying by, how many supporters show up at the start and finish line wearing your clubs branding. Some custom spoilers, neons, exhausts and body kits that you can pay for it unlock.

God dammit Sony, just give us our Aracade racer. Be adventurous again, be creative again, dream big again.

Around the Network

Not really in the same vain as what you asked for, and not by Sony, but Horizon Chase Turbo is a retro style arcade racer that’s incredibly good if you enjoyed the likes of Top Gear and similar racing games back in the days.

Its soundtrack is also pure retro greatness with a remix of one of the best racing theme ever:

And yeah, Svennoj is a freaking ace at the racing games he adopts.

Last edited by Hynad - on 25 March 2021

I would be happy if Sony just make a modern ripoff of burnout takedown and revenge.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Hotshot Racing

Fast RMX

GRIP

Horizon Chase Turbo

Modern consoles.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Hynad said:

Not really in the same vain as what you asked for, and not by Sony, but Horizon Chase Turbo is a retro style arcade racer that’s incredibly good if you enjoyed the likes of Top Gear and similar racing games back in the days.

Its soundtrack is also pure retro greatness with a remix of one of the best racing theme ever:

And yeah, Svennoj is a freaking ace at the racing games he adopts.

Horizon Chase is a great game and it really felt like a game I would've played 20 years ago, although it has some modernizations that make things better. I can recommend that too.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
mjk45 said:

I would be happy if Sony just make a modern ripoff of burnout takedown and revenge.

I loved Burnout until they went open world. Burnout should be a track racer where you master the track and then go ballsout against traffic.

Bristow9091 said:

I'd actually LOVE a new Motorstorm... at least remaster and port them to PS4/5 or something! :(

It would be nice to either get Pacific Rift or Apocalypse.

Indeed, bring back the track arcade racer, not retro, full ps5 glory with PSVR 2 mode! Driveclub Patagonia, Burnout Japan, Motorstorm Papua New Guinea, Wipeout Andromeda, Driver Seoul.

Open world killed the arcade racer, tbh I don't like Forza Horizon all that much. Driving on the map is fine but all the races are forgettable. Burnout Paradise at least had stunts but there the races also took a backseat and crash mode was a joke.

I'm not really into racers but I love playing the Ridge Racer games. So sad Namco have given up on the franchise..

Hotshot Racing is an excellent arcade racer in the vein of 90s genre classics that you can get on PS4 (And therefore I assume PS5?)