By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo now fully owns the Astral Chain IP

Tagged games:

Article

The Astral Chain IP was previously held by both Nintendo and developer PlatinumGames. Now, however, that’s no longer the case.

PlatinumGames boss Atsushi Inaba confirmed to VGC that Astral Chain fully belongs to Nintendo. There were questions regarding its ownership after the official website changed its copyright, and PlatinumGames was no longer included.

Regarding what’s now shown on the site, Inaba said “it’s as it looks.” He also noted:

“It’s as it is written on the website: Astral Chain is their IP and as such there are limitations on how much we feel we should talk about.”

Source

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

They should just buy Platinum Games

Waiting for Astral Chain x Fire Emblem game.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Nice. I don't think Nintendo should buy PG but I think they should buy a stake in them to keep them financially sound but still able to do what they want.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think a sequel at this point is imminent. I think either for the Switch's end of livespan or early in the next Nintendo console. They already said that the game was intended to be a trilogy, it sold well and that move shows that Nintendo have interest in the franchise.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network

Astral Chain 2 confirmed 

I mean they already said years ago they were thinking to make this a trilogy. Why buy the IP fully?

It's not like Platinum would say "no" as co-owner of the IP to Nintendo making spinoff games, and I doubt Nintendo would want anyone other than Platinum to make Astral Chains 2 after how well the first game sold. So if they just want to add characters to Smash and make a spinoff(s) game(s) I don't get why they would spend the money to buy the IP. Unless they plan to use the IP so much, in so many ways, that they expect to recover the cost they spent on buying Platinum's stake in the IP in the future, but I kind of doubt Nintendo is going to make like 2-3 Astral Chain based spinoffs in the next 10 years.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Astral Chain 2 confirmed 

I wouldn't be too quick to say that. Could be another Eternal Darkness, but I do hope they continue to work with the property. Astral Chain isn't the most wonderful game, but 1) it looks cool and 2) the combat is great. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Cool. Astral Chain is easily one of the best games currently on the Switch, so I'd assume a sequel is imminent... As well as some of those weird crossovers Nintendo does with its franchises.

Jpcc86 said:

Cool. Astral Chain is easily one of the best games currently on the Switch, so I'd assume a sequel is imminent... As well as some of those weird crossovers Nintendo does with its franchises.

To begin with, the siblings are going to be in Smash someday. Maybe not in Ultimate but indeed in the next one. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.