By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity UPDATE: 3.5M in the first quarter

Tagged games:

Extremely solid start.
As long as it doesn't turn out that they overshipped, it should pass 5 mil by the quarterly report.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Koei must have jumped with joy at the prospect of being given the position of the main holiday title for a platform like Switch and in one of it's most dominant years as well, for DW4 any idea what FW was for it?

Wonder what the sell-through will look like, I'm thinking they will ship 5 million EOY if the sell-through is good

Currently for November its:
#5 on Amazon.com behind Just Dance;
#2 on Amazon.fr behind New Horizon;
#12 on Amazon.de behind Ring Fit, New Horizon, AC:V, MK8D & FIFA
#n/a on Amazon.co.uk but we know it sold around 30K in the UK during it's launch week

Marth said:
Wyrdness said:

Koei must have jumped with joy at the prospect of being given the position of the main holiday title for a platform like Switch and in one of it's most dominant years as well, for DW4 any idea what FW was for it?

723k on PS2 FW in Japan

3k on Xbox FW in Japan

We dont have numbers for the west afaik but it also released one month later in NA and a few months later in PAL.

The sheer fact that AOC may actually hit 5m for the series really brings to light the momentum given to the game as the flagship holiday title for Switch using the BOTW lore especially with the fact that we've had Warrior titles based on other popular IPs like DQ and FE as well in recent years. The stars really aligned for Koei with this one.

You might even say it's unprecedented for a Musou game

Around the Network
Marth said:
Wyrdness said:

723k on PS2 FW in Japan

3k on Xbox FW in Japan

We dont have numbers for the west afaik but it also released one month later in NA and a few months later in PAL.

Did some searching for NPD.

From Zhugeex (A warriors fan :D ) ~2016

It took 4 months for Hyrule Warriors to get to 370k (Wii U)
It took 4 months for Dynasty Warriors 3 to get to 207k (PS2)
It took 4 months for Dynasty Warriors 4 to get to 275k (PS2)
It took 4 months for Samurai Warriors to get to 113k (PS2)
It took 4 months for Dynasty Warriors 5 to get to 149k (PS2)

It took 25 months for Dynasty Warriors 3 to exceed 390k+ (on PS2) (over 450k+ LTD)
It took 13 months for Dynasty Warriors 4 to exceed 390k+ (on PS2) (over 550k+ LTD)
No other Musou game has exceeded 370k.

That is excellent news. A big release for the Warriors series.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Great numbers

Machina said:
Marth said:

723k on PS2 FW in Japan

3k on Xbox FW in Japan

When I was researching official lifetime sales figures for the DW series entry, this was what I found:

• DW3 - 1.77 million (PS2 only)
  • DW4 - 2.25 million (PS2 only)
  • DW5 - 1.7 million (PS2 only)
  • DW7 - 660K
  • DW8 - 400K (Japan only)
  • DW9 - 730K

So it's already shipped more than any DW game managed to ship lifetime - that we officially know of anyway. DW4 probably came close to 3 million with the PC and Xbox versions added in.

Xbox sales are tracked by VGC with 160K, so this doesn't add much. Maybe 200K shipped. If it released also on PC, that might have more impact, as most copies probably were sold in Japan, where Xbox is anemic. I see PC-version came two years late, so probably also not a very big impact. I think it is safe to assume, that DW4 between all version shipped less than 3M. And as far as I see, every other Warriors game falls behind that. So however you slice it, Age of Calamity will be the best-selling entry in the series by far.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

If AOC were to hit 5-6m would that make it Koei's best selling game in general?