By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendos holiday 2020

Tagged games:

Well, a long time this year it seemed like Nintendo is forgetting the holidays. But the past weeks they revealed stuff, so now the calendar fills up.

Instead of a single big holiday title like Pokemon or Smash, this year a lot of smaller titles combine their power to drive holiday sales:

• Bravely Default II
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Mario 3D Allstars
  • Mario Kart Live Tour
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising

Each title alone wouldn't be able to hold up the holiday period. But as they each cater to different demographics, they combined bring a lot of power to the holidays. Additionally we have the evergreens, including Animal Crossing which doesn't seem to lose any steam.

What do you think, is this a good holiday lineup?

EDIT: I added Immortals Fenyx rising, as this looks like another important holiday title. I know multiplat, but people will still buy and play it.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 11 September 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

I think its pretty good. Its been a tough year, so Im happy with what we get.

Not really a good holiday lineup.  Just comparing it to Nintendo's 2018 lineup it is lacking. And 2018 was a fairly weak year for Switch.

Holidays 2018

Smash Bros Ultimate
Torna The Golden Country
Super Mario Party
Poke'mon Let's Go
Valkyria Chronicles 4 Nintendo shouldn't be given credit for 3rd party games.

Holidays 2020

Bravely Default II Nintendo shouldn't be given credit for 3rd party games.
Pikmin 3
3D All Stars
Age of Calamity

Notice, I'm being overly generous to both years here. Rereleases of old games really shouldn't count for much. After all 2018 had Bayo 2, Tropical Freeze, and Treasure Tracker ported to Switch. The facts that we are focusing on the Holidays launch period, and 2018's ports all came outside the holidays puts an unfair hand on the scale. We're accidentally committing the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy by focusing so much on the holidays, where Nintendo's ports all happen have a holidays release date in 2020, and didn't happen to have a holidays release date in 2018. I listed Valkyria 4 and Bravely Default with strikethrough text just to remind people that 2018 had a 3rd party Strategy RPG in the holidays release window. So having a 3rd party JRPG in the 2020 holidays release window shouldn't be impressive. Oh, and since OP included a game which releases in September, I'm including September 2018 games in this comparison too.

Finally, it goes without saying that Mario Kart Home Circuit shouldn't count at all. This should be obvious, but I know a ton of people aren't going to get the context of the conversation. It's an AR Mario Kart game that costs $100 per remote controlled car. There are a ton of other reasons why it shouldn't impress anyone, but I'd be talking to a crowd so dense and clueless that they make Sheldon from Big Bang Theory look socially aware.

The only game with a Nintendo IP, that I'm looking forward to for Holidays 2020 is Age of Calamity. And even that a mild type of looking forward to. If it didn't have the BotW engine, and Zelda BotW Lore, I'd be skipping it. On the flip side, I was salivating at the mouth for Smash Ultimate, and Torna in Holidays 2018.

In holidays 2018 I bought Valkyria 4, Smash, Torna, and Poke'mon Let's Go. In Holidays 2020 I'm going to buy Age of Calamity, Pikmin 3 (for collection purposes. I already own it on Wii U), and Bravely Default II. Personally it's Smash, Torna, and Let's Go VS Age of Calamity.

This does have a small chance of changing in favor of 2020 though. Nintendo could shadow drop more Holidays 2020 games like Poke'mon Snap 2 (with 3x the length of the original), or a new F-Zero game, or a 2D Metroid with AAA quality development.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 09 September 2020

There is absolutely going to be something big that they haven't announced yet for December. Otherwise, why would they increase their production to 30 million units this year. I think games announced so far, like the mario 3d collection and pikmin 3 deluxe have been ready to release for sometime. My theory right now is that pokemon snap is the likely holiday game, but it really could be anything.

Nope, this is a very very weak line up, and Braverly Default is not even confirmed yet

Switch will sell well regardless, but on software sales they will need to rely on their back catalog

I still believing on the rumours about Monster Hunter Switch, this is a truly system seller and will skyrocket Switch sales, let's see

Around the Network

I think Mario kart 9 could be the big Christmas game. It could help boost popularity for the live circuit toy as well.

The holiday line up is starting to look pretty good, but it's clearly not as good as previous years. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one more first party title gets announced for this year. Some sort of announcement is still coming at the end of September. Is that just more Hyrule Warriors info or will it have more?

From a software sales perspective its solid. Mario Kart and All Stars will be revenue drivers, Kart may also shift systsems. Objectively its 2 resolution focused remasters, A Mario Kart Gimmick which won't work in most people's houses and A warriors game. Not impressive from Nintendo's side of course but I guess corona is partially to blame.

From a personal perspective its good enough for me, Bravely Default and Pikmin 3 are 2 games Im looking forward to playing. I still need to pick other titles like Luigi's mansion, Splatoon 2 and Links Awakening so I'm not desperate for new games or anything.

Hardware wise they didn't need to release anything to help out this holiday, there's a big enough backlog of demand to carry them through the holiday selling whatever hardware they ship

Cerebralbore101 said:

Not really a good holiday lineup.  Just comparing it to Nintendo's 2018 lineup it is lacking. And 2018 was a fairly weak year for Switch.

Holidays 2018

Smash Bros Ultimate
Torna The Golden Country
Super Mario Party
Poke'mon Let's Go
Valkyria Chronicles 4 Nintendo shouldn't be given credit for 3rd party games.

Holidays 2020

Bravely Default II Nintendo shouldn't be given credit for 3rd party games.
Pikmin 3
3D All Stars
Age of Calamity

Notice, I'm being overly generous to both years here. Rereleases of old games really shouldn't count for much. After all 2018 had Bayo 2, Tropical Freeze, and Treasure Tracker ported to Switch. The facts that we are focusing on the Holidays launch period, and 2018's ports all came outside the holidays puts an unfair hand on the scale. We're accidentally committing the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy by focusing so much on the holidays, where Nintendo's ports all happen have a holidays release date in 2020, and didn't happen to have a holidays release date in 2018. I listed Valkyria 4 and Bravely Default with strikethrough text just to remind people that 2018 had a 3rd party Strategy RPG in the holidays release window. So having a 3rd party JRPG in the 2020 holidays release window shouldn't be impressive. Oh, and since OP included a game which releases in September, I'm including September 2018 games in this comparison too.

Finally, it goes without saying that Mario Kart Home Circuit shouldn't count at all. This should be obvious, but I know a ton of people aren't going to get the context of the conversation. It's an AR Mario Kart game that costs $100 per remote controlled car. There are a ton of other reasons why it shouldn't impress anyone, but I'd be talking to a crowd so dense and clueless that they make Sheldon from Big Bang Theory look socially aware.

The only game with a Nintendo IP, that I'm looking forward to for Holidays 2020 is Age of Calamity. And even that a mild type of looking forward to. If it didn't have the BotW engine, and Zelda BotW Lore, I'd be skipping it. On the flip side, I was salivating at the mouth for Smash Ultimate, and Torna in Holidays 2018.

In holidays 2018 I bought Valkyria 4, Smash, Torna, and Poke'mon Let's Go. In Holidays 2020 I'm going to buy Age of Calamity, Pikmin 3 (for collection purposes. I already own it on Wii U), and Bravely Default II. Personally it's Smash, Torna, and Let's Go VS Age of Calamity.

This does have a small chance of changing in favor of 2020 though. Nintendo could shadow drop more Holidays 2020 games like Poke'mon Snap 2 (with 3x the length of the original), or a new F-Zero game, or a 2D Metroid with AAA quality development.

I think it is generally a bad idea to subjectively decide which games should and shouldn't count. Basically all that matters is: does it sell?

I also think, that excluding 3rd-party is an argument designed to make Nintendo look good. Because if we exclude 3rd-parties, Playstation and Xbox usually look bad. But people have no problem counting Cyberpunk as a big title for them, so we shouldn't make such reservations.

Obviously I cannot tell yet, how well these titles will sell. But I can give my opinion, that the five I mentioned will play a role in shaping the sales over the holidays.

Last: I never said this lineup is better than 2018. I said, it is a worthwile lineup. I clearly even stated, that it misses the big punch title like Pokemon or Smash. But I think the holidays can be filled with a bunch of these smaller titles. And that range and diversity isn't looking too shabby. I think Switch owners will find a game to buy from their holiday money.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think its better than 2019?

Pocky Lover Boy!