By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware June 14 to 20 - The Last of Us Part II Boosts PS4 Sales

Tagged games:

I'm sorry but that's it? I was sure it would be above Switch this week.

Around the Network

That's pathetic...

I had the sales range estimation between 280k to 320k. It falls in the lower end of my expectation which is good instead of not being in my range at all.

Great sales for the PS4 in its 7th and last year being the current gen console.

trunkswd said:
Ka-pi96 said:
How does this compare to the Final Fantasy 7 PS4 boost?

Although I've gotta say I still find it crazy that a new game can boost sales this late in a console's life.

It is hard to compare the two games as when FF7R released it was still early on during the pandemic and game sales in April were crazy. VGChartz estimates have the PS4 selling 257,183 units the week before FF7R released and 551,388 units during the week it launched. The Last of Us Part II helped boost PS4 sales from 210,236 units to 280,102 units.

Just thinking about the two games, I'd expect FF7 R to boost hardware more even without the pandemic.  In fact, I think TLoU2 will sell more software units, but FF7 R is still the type of game to move more hardware.  There are a lot of old FF7 fans out there who may have otherwise skipped the PS4 except for FF7 Remake.  Twenty three years is plenty of time for someone to gradually drift away from gaming only to come back for a key game.  On the other hand, PS4 already has plenty of cinematic action games including a port of the first TLoU.  Obviously, having another big cinemetic action game still boosts sales, but the boost is diminished.

Supply constrained, plus it's sold 111 million units and the PS5 was unveiled 2 weeks ago.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Dahum said:

I had the sales range estimation between 280k to 320k. It falls in the lower end of my expectation which is good instead of not being in my range at all.

Great sales for the PS4 in its 7th and last year being the current gen console.

If it weren't for some of the supply issues, sales would have likely been a bit higher. 

I agree. Still impressive overall.

Ps4 Pro is still sold out in Australia nation wide, no store where I'm from has any model in stock.

PS4 had a great week with TLOU2 boost and looking to close out the quarter very strong.

Yay Switch with another 300k+!!!!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I expected a bigger boost, let`s wait for Sony commenting on the sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."