By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo banned Square from their offices for 10 years after FFVII went to PlayStation. EDIT: japanese business model is akin to Yakuza

Tagged games:

What do you think

Nintendo is God they never make a mistake 7 26.92%

Square the ones who to be blame 8 30.77%

I dont why i just hate Sony 2 7.69%

I 9 34.62%

Total:26

I just found a tweet of old article, probably the article itself  had been shared or discuss a lot back then. But because we finally able to play Final Fantasy 7 again it's worth to mention again.

Not to spark a fanboy war or debate. It's worth on mentioning that Final 7 supposed to come to Nintendo hardware but because Nintendo was such a dick back then even after that for 10 years they still don't want to admit  . They were deserved to blame 

But I am glad Nintendo has changed (albeit their is still something that still need to be addressed ) . Overall we can learn from history how arrogance can impact a business and the success of a product .

I am not saying i hate Nintendo nor i defend Playstation , i do realize that Sony also have this kind history with PS3 and Microsoft with Xbox One (Don Matrix ). I just want to share again the story how Final Fantasy 7 was made and then  how close Square to Nintendo was back then (like a second party developer).

This article is old back from 2017 and probably has been foretold a lot times even far before that in the 90's. But it's very good to read, especially for young gamer who never experience 90's era. 

The article is really detail , they made an interview with a lot of the senior staff and old staf who made FF7 including Hironobu Sakaguchi it self so the source is reliable even it has Nintendo ex employe and other employee that back up the source. I provided the link https://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

You can read and enjoy the story and then return here to discuss 

EDIT: Japanese style of business are really  like Yakuza probably it's still the same nowadays, the same thing happened with Konami. 

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 11 April 2020

Around the Network

Hiroshi Yamauchi was a petty old man who hated video games and thought Gamecube had zero competition. He ruined people's personal lives with his BS. Tried to make Nintendo a monopoly. Bullied other companies and developers.

I'm glad he's dead.*joker laugh*

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

This is very very very old. Yamauchi told Square that if they went to PlayStation to never come back. How'd that turn out? Yamauchi vs Kuratagi: who was the biggest maniac?

NightlyPoe said:
Heh. The good old days of Hiroshi Yamauchi running Nintendo any way he felt.

Yes an old curmudgeon who knew how to hold a grudge and while not a gamer himself he knew the worth of creative expertise, but also knew that it needed to be tempered within  good business structure.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Xxain said:
This is very very very old. Yamauchi told Square that if they went to PlayStation to never come back. How'd that turn out? Yamauchi vs Kuratagi: who was the biggest maniac?

Yamauchi did extend an olive branch to Square in the mid 00s by investing money in a Square shell corporation, Game Designer Studio, which got FF Crystal Chronicles released on the Gamecube, published by Nintendo. Pretty sure the Square Enix merger helped too. Nintendo always had a better relationship with Enix than Square. Even now, Nintendo tends to favor Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy. 

Square, meanwhile, built the PS1 and then collapsed under its own weight in a few short years, especially after their disastrous foray into movie-making. :(

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
Xxain said:

Yamauchi did extend an olive branch to Square in the mid 00s by investing money in a Square shell corporation, Game Designer Studio, which got FF Crystal Chronicles released on the Gamecube, published by Nintendo. Pretty sure the Square Enix merger helped too. Nintendo always had a better relationship with Enix than Square. Even now, Nintendo tends to favor Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy. 

Square, meanwhile, built the PS1 and then collapsed under its own weight in a few short years, especially after their disastrous foray into movie-making. :(

Which they never gave up on. Advent Children and Kingsglaive. Sakaguchi was gone soon after and FF has not reached those heights again in quality. Tho I liked 12. 13 sucked. XV is blah. Kinda funny Tak and Guchi leave Square and IMO since made better RPGs than any FF game since that time. Lost Odyssey. The Last Story. Xenoblade. Then again Taks vision of Final Fantasy VII eventually got spun into its own IP. Xenogears which is easily one of the best RPGs on PS1.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
SanAndreasX said:

Which they never gave up on. Advent Children and Kingsglaive. Sakaguchi was gone soon after and FF has not reached those heights again in quality. Tho I liked 12. 13 sucked. XV is blah. Kinda funny Tak and Guchi leave Square and IMO since made better RPGs than any FF game since that time. Lost Odyssey. The Last Story. Xenoblade. Then again Taks vision of Final Fantasy VII eventually got spun into its own IP. Xenogears which is easily one of the best RPGs on PS1.

I loved 12, it's second only to 7 for me. Sakaguchi said he never played much beyond the intro, due to Matsuno leaving midway through production, which I always felt was sad because Kawazu and Hiroyuki Ito turned out a great product in the end. Matsuno was another loss for Square. I'd have been quite comfortable with him as the full-time Final Fantasy boss. I've always considered FF Tactics to be a full fledged FF game alongside the numbered entries.

Unfortunately, Sakaguchi hasn't been hugely successful since he left Square, either. His last console game was almost ten years ago, and I don't really hear much about him even in the mobile space. 

And in the end you could say, Nintendo won. Check my sig.

OTBWY said:
And in the end you could say, Nintendo won. Check my sig.

I wish N64 were using Switch cartridge. So it can even hold 20 FF VII games

Who taught them making Super Mario RPG with pre-rendered 3D backgrounds and characters like Donkey Kong Country?

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 12 April 2020