By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Home (information, comparison to Pokemon Bank, discussion)

Tagged games:

I didn't see another thread discussing Pokémon Home, so I start this now. If there is an existing thread already, please link me to that.

We finally got more information about the new service Pokémon Home, which will release in February 2020. For anyone not in the know: Pokémon Home is a cloud service for storing your Pokémon and transferring them between games. Pokémon Home will a very restricted free version too. Pokémon Bank is a similar service for the 3DS games.

The official informations for Home: https://home.pokemon.com/en-us/

features Pokémon Home Basic Pokémon Home Premium Pokémon Bank
price free! $/€ 2.99 (30 days/1 month) $/€ 4.99 (90 days/3 months)
$/€ 15.99 (365 days/12 months)
$/€ 4.99 (365 days/12 months)
apps available for Nintendo Switch
mobile platforms
Nintendo Switch
mobile platforms
Nintendo 3DS
storage space for 30 Pokémon 6000 Pokémon 3000 Pokémon
transfer (both directions) with Pokémon Sword/Shield Pokémon Sword/Shield Pokémon X/Y
Pokémon Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire
Pokémon Sun/Moon
Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
import (one direction) from Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Pokémon Bank
Pokémon Black/White
Pokémon Black 2/White 2
Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow (VC)
Pokémon Gold/Silver (VC)
trade options
Wonderbox (3 Pokémon)
GTS (1 Pokémon)
participate in room trades
friend trade
Wonderbox (10 Pokémon)
GTS (3 Pokémon)
participate and host room trades
friend trade
-
Judge function
- available -
transfer points to games
available available available
national Pokédex
available available -
customization
your room your room -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBnJ6jEVXHo

Last edited by Mnementh - on 29 January 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Not so bad, but a lot of things are absurd. Pokebank should be free forever and not for only a month for example

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

Way too expensive for a rather simple service. Im gonna wait a while to see if theres any change on functions/price or simple give up the bunch of mon I have stored in the bank.

Pokemon Home should be free. The fact they are taking a feature that's been in the games since the gen 4, bringing old mons to the new games, and have monetized it in such a way it's egregious. PokeBank was already bad enough as it was. Just because it's an online/cloud service doesn't mean it's worth paying.

Also, what happens with your pokemons if you stop paying the service? How long does it take to get deleted? This is just voluntary pokemon ransomware.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

shikamaru317 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Not a fan of how much more expensive it is than Pokemon Bank. Up from $5 a year to $16 a year.

I'm also not a fan of the fact you need the mobile version for trading. Dumb that you can't trade pokemon from the switch version. 

Yeah, another thing that is really absurd. On the Switch version you can only trade from Let's Go and do little else

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

Around the Network

Well, I think I added all main information into the thread. Now I can make my take on all this.

I must say I am disappointed. I already was disappointed, then GF announced a new service instead of continuing Pokebank onto the Switch. Moving the Pokes it again and this way make them unavailable for the 3DS-games. But the pricepoint is a real shock. It's not like this service is super costly. At one point I hoped they would integrate Pokebank into Switch Online. But no, an additional fee and thrice the price of Pokebank.

Yes, there are some nice to have new features. Trade options are comfy, but also exist in the games. Personally I like the national Dex to view infos for all Pokemons. Customization is surely a nice feature for some. But overall it is not much for this steep a price. I think I stick with Pokebank for the time being and test the basic version. Maybe GF includes more features or moves on the price. We'll see.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think Pokemon popularity has jumped from this website, despite the heavy Nintendo fanbase. I've tried unsuccessfully to create a VGchartz Pokemon League in both Let's go (years ago) and Sword/Shield and hardly anyone is interested. Seems like the most exciting thing to do in Pokemon, each of us battling it out going up and down rankings, designating player gym leaders, etc. but I guess only to me lol.

Never really understood Pokemon's appeal.

Is this a sub for smartphones and/or Switch?

What does it allow players to do?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Dulfite said:
I think Pokemon popularity has jumped from this website, despite the heavy Nintendo fanbase. I've tried unsuccessfully to create a VGchartz Pokemon League in both Let's go (years ago) and Sword/Shield and hardly anyone is interested. Seems like the most exciting thing to do in Pokemon, each of us battling it out going up and down rankings, designating player gym leaders, etc. but I guess only to me lol.

To be fair, GF has been annoying/angering the more core fanbase with all of the excessive monetization and content removing. At least in my case I haven't bought a Pokemon game since Sun/Moon, and I'm actively boycotting Sw/Sh.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.