By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: The Future Will Not About Hardware Platform (PC/COnsole/handled/Mobile ) but Ecosystem (service/software)

Tagged games:

What do you think

I am still not onboard with this future 13 50.00%

Am I dreaming 2 7.69%

Are we ended up on weird reality 0 0%

I don't know how to accept this reality 3 11.54%

I don't want to change, i... 2 7.69%

I will quit gaming 6 23.08%

Total:26

This from December 2019 , where Matt Piscatella NPD analyst predict the future of games industries 

After Sony deciding  to bring Horizon Zero Dawn to PC. I Finally  believe there will be no more platform agnostic no more platform hardware fanboy in the future.  Every games will be available on every platform through the Cloud on every , PC, console, handled. Digital games also sold slightly more than physical media. This also translate how many people already change their mind and perspective to digitize their library. 

Service like GamePass, PSNow, Steam, Epic Store will be the foundation of the future. 

The future is not about your box sitting in front your TV or your tiny handled or your super big desktop tower. It's about service. Service is the evolution of industries and manufacturing industries. We are living in era of  Industries Revolution 4 . 

Around the Network

Once a time I tried to imagine gaming in 2 or 3 decades.
Cheap devices are so advanced that they had computational power to run any realistic game. We wont need cloud computational capabilities.
The consoles are no more, Playstation, xbox and Nintendo (and other, with more competition) are just apps for phones or TVs. Enter and access your library and play any game on your TV or phone. They run natively on the TV or phone (over a virtual machine of the plataform, probably).
They will still sell hardware, but only controllers and/or handhelds.

If I'm being honest, I'd loved to buy and play games on one device. If I could, right now, play Marvel's Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Halo Infinite, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, god of war, and whatever Obsidian Studios works on next on one device, I'd be extremely happy lol.

As a collector then I will stop playing modern games. Already pushing me that way with modern DLC practices and MTX everywhere.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I don't really see an end to the fanboy wars. I mean, those wars have been going on since before some of you here were even born and some of those folk are well into their 40's now and they still war on.

I do however see an evolution in games being spread across as many platforms and devices as possible, and that's honestly a good thing, because it means more markets to tap into, more revenue to make and generally more attempts at gaining mind-share/market-share.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
I don't really see an end to the fanboy wars. I mean, those wars have been going on since before some of you here were even born and some of those folk are well into their 40's now and they still war on.

I do however see an evolution in games being spread across as many platforms and devices as possible, and that's honestly a good thing, because it means more markets to tap into, more revenue to make and generally more attempts at gaining mind-share/market-share.

There will be no more hardware platform wars. Their will be only  ecosystem war . Steam VS Epic or Gamepass VS PSNow VS Stadia etc. I never said fanboy will be nomore . I said hardware platform fanboy will be no more. 

Leynos said:
As a collector then I will stop playing modern games. Already pushing me that way with modern DLC practices and MTX everywhere.

Or you can still play modern games without collecting the physical media. It's cheaper and the games will still belonging to you. Modern infrastructure will make you able to sell your digital games, share your games and lend your games.  I bet physical will still exist but it will be expensives. 

HollyGamer said:

There will be no more hardware platform wars. Their will be only  ecosystem war . Steam VS Epic or Gamepass VS PSNow VS Stadia etc. I never said fanboy will be nomore . I said hardware platform fanboy will be no more. 

Yeah, and that's what I meant by fanboy wars never reaching an end, because now we're seeing the Steam vs Epic war since late 2018, and really, that's no good either and it was entirely brought on by ratboy sweeney, not Gabe, nor anyone else, because before they showed up things were fine with GoG, Steam and everyone else (even if Origin and Uplay were doing trash clientside).

Either way, hardware fanboy wars being over?, big deal, nothing changes because *fanboy wars* in general still rage on. You should put the bigger focus on the bigger picture here, like the console wars are but a spec of dust in the wind compared to every other fanboy war in general, that has raged on since before you were even born.

What would be better is for general fanboy wars to come to a complete end, rather than one that never really mattered in the grand scheme of things. HW wars were always slated to end at a given moment in time, but fanboy warring in general?m, practically timeless. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

HollyGamer said:
Leynos said:

Or you can still play modern games without collecting the physical media. It's cheaper and the games will still belonging to you. Modern infrastructure will make you able to sell your digital games, share your games and lend your games.  I bet physical will still exist but it will be expensives. 

Not ownership. Digital is a rental.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
HollyGamer said:

Not ownership. Digital is a rental.

That's in the past. In the future digital will be yours. The same thing like your money using ATM / Digital money etc.