By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu's Bias Reviews towards games?

Tagged games:

While Famitsu has a decent reputation, that reputation needs to be questionable..

There latest review was Death Stranding, giving the game a perfect 10/10 all while Hirokazo Hamamura there ex-editor-in-chief making a guest appearance in the game. Fans are confused and are now questioning Famitsu as a brand and after reading the articles, I honestly cannot blame them. Just for readers to know, Hamamura has been involved in games before and also giving them perfect scores at the same time.

https://screenrant.com/death-stranding-famitsu-review-score-perfect-japan-conflict-interest/

Quotes from article

--Hamamura, the former editor-in-chief of the magazine and now president of Enterbrain, its publisher, makes a guest appearance as a prepper. In fact, Hamamura's cameo comes complete with a pretty damning "joke," telling Death Stranding protagonist Sam bridges that he will "get in the Hall of Fame." The Hall of Fame is where Famitsu puts high-scoring reviews.--

--Hamamura has been involved with games before, appearing in 428: Shibuya Scramble - which also got a perfect score - and in an ad campaign for Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, which, as fans might be beginning to expect, also got a perfect score in Famitsu. While Hamamura is no longer directly involved with Famitsu, he's still listed as the Famitsu Group rep.--

This is quite alarming when having review staff or reviewers associated with a company and game give a final verdict. It just doesn't sound right and everyone is entitled to there own opinion but this is a little far fetched. It just sounds really dodgy.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 14 November 2019

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Famitsu has a decent reputation? Since when? I've always known them as being a bit of a joke when it comes to review scores and handing out perfect scores to plenty of undeserving games.

Well glad someone agrees. I don't follow Famitsu however they are held high in some countries. I just think this is a little disturbing having review staff work on a game than have them rate it. Its almost like saying for you to review your own work. Of course you would credit your own work.

Azzanation said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Famitsu has a decent reputation? Since when? I've always known them as being a bit of a joke when it comes to review scores and handing out perfect scores to plenty of undeserving games.

Well glad someone agrees. I don't follow Famitsu however they are held high in some countries. I just think this is a little disturbing having review staff work on a game than have them rate it. Its almost like saying for you to review your own work. Of course you would credit your own work.

That's mostly a fanboy/girl thing, they always reviewed based on hype but their will be always new people who join forums and people who tend to forget, last gen the FFXIII 39/40 was a thing.

Famitsu is a hype magazine, the kind of teenagers read to get excited about upcoming games back in the day, a bit like Youtube fandom channels today. The "you can review your own game in Famitsu" has been known for ages.

Wow, for real?..

Death Stranding's cameo schtick already felt off-putting before. Now this.

Expect Keighley to hand awards to DS come the game awards.

Around the Network

It's not like Famitsu's scores have been questioned before... :P

John2290 said:

It is very suspect that four people would give any game a perfect score but I guess they are a closed loop of opinions. Even thoughbit is suspicious after playing the game for 60 odd hours I can see why they rated it all 10s. It's a 10 and then some. Such a massively underrated game.

And remember folks, when you see people bombing it, that only 50% of people have played it 1/10th of thr way and less than 10% have seen it through to 1/4 of the way. This is gonna need a hell of a lot of time for people to catch up and let it all settle.

Eh... I mean there are at least 15 other outlets that gave it a perfect score, so it doesn't seem completely out of the question.  Unlikely, yes, but not quite enough to draw any conclusion imo.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
KLAMarine said:
Wow, for real?..

He is not the One that choses who wins ...

...Or is he!?

John2290 said:
KLAMarine said:
Wow, for real?..

I'm beginning to think you are jealous of Sony first party titles. 

No, most of Sony's first party offerings do not appeal to me...

KLAMarine said: 
John2290 said:

I'm beginning to think you are jealous of Sony first party titles. 

No, most of Sony's first party offerings do not appeal to me...

People will see what they want to see.