By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Signalstar Finally Bought a Nintendo Switch!

Tagged games:

Hey, so I have wanted a Switch from even before it was announced. I figured a long time ago that Nintendo would eventually combine their handheld and console hardware into one product. The Switch was announced and released at a time when I was at a low point in my interest in gaming. That, my busy schedule, and a desire to wait for upgraded hardware prevented me from buying one right away.

Fast forward to summer 2019, Nintendo announced the upgraded version of the Switch and the new Switch Lite. I also predicted that Nintendo would release a portable only version of the Switch. The Switch Lite did not really appeal to me however because I definitely want the freedom to play on the TV and in portable mode.

The new model with the upgraded battery life finally convinced me to buy. Also I had quit my job and was starting grad school so my income quickly went to 0 but I set aside money before just for the Switch. It was the first gaming hardware I ever ordered through Amazon and it was delivered the very next day (thanks Prime!) However, as I said before I had no income so I did not have any money for a game at first so the Switch sat unopened in the box for a couple months.

Until two days ago. I bought New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe as my first game through Amazon. It was on sale and I had an Amazon gift card. The game came through same-day delivery (again Thanks Prime!). The reason I chose NSMB U Deluxe as my first game was because I wanted something simple to pick up and play that was suitable for both TV and handheld mode, had local multiplayer, and did not have a big online component because I will not be paying for Switch Online anytime soon. I of course considered Breath of the Wild (not enough free time to dedicate to playing), Odyssey (same as Breath of the Wild), MK 8 Deluxe (I recently bought Crash Team Racing for PS4, don't need 2 kart racers at once), and Super Smash Bros Ultimate (not able to take full advantage of the multiplayer at the moment) and will eventually buy them all.

Anyway, I finally booted up my Switch, made it charge and started playing NSMB U Deluxe in handheld mode. Within 5 minutes the Joy Cons start acting up. The right Joy Con stops working completely and won't charge or connect to the Switch. BUMMER! I play as best I could with only the left Joy  Con and the Switch docked. Yesterday I called Nintendo about the issue and they agreed to repair my right Joy Con. The support representative asks me to go to a Best Buy or a Gamestop to try another right Joy Con on my device to see if the issue is only with the controller or both the console and the controller.

I inconveniently drove to both Best Buy (they were not helpful) and Gamestop (they were friendly and helpful). I explained my situation to the clerk at Gamestop and he fetched a used right Joy Con for me to test on my Switch device. It worked immediately. That was a relief because it meant I could just send in the controller and continue playing. I ask about used controllers for sale at Gamestop. My budget is low to non-existant as I mentioned earlier. Eventually I end up buying a 3rd party Zelda branded wired controller modeled after the Xbox One Controller for $25 + tax. The clerk also told me that I could return the controller within 30 days if I got my Joy Con back. I tried the controller back at home in docked mode. It's a nice controller the only downside is the wired connection. I figure I will eventually return it at put the store credit towards Zelda Breath of the Wild. I definitely will buy a Pro Controller down the line though.

Anyway that is my rambling odyssey about becoming a Switch owner. This is the second time Nintendo hardware has failed me within a day of purchase after my Gamecube. Other than that impressions are good so far. The interface is really simple.

Any recommendations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Welcome to the switch family. So many great titles on the switch, it's a shame personally that I can't be motivated to use mine very often. Top games I've played on it are SSB, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Octopath

Games I don't rate that I've played: Astral Chain, Kirby Star Allies and Mario Tennis. But that's just my opinion.

Signalstar said:

Hey, so I have wanted a Switch from even before it was announced. I figured a long time ago that Nintendo would eventually combine their handheld and console hardware into one product. The Switch was announced and released at a time when I was at a low point in my interest in gaming. That, my busy schedule, and a desire to wait for upgraded hardware prevented me from buying one right away.

Same desire here, hardware-wise but I'm going to wait longer as I am aiming for the future Switch Pro. I don't want to buy one now and regret later when something more powerful is released.

I just hope it won't release too close to the PS5 cause I don't want to be forced to choose between the two systems though I can choose to get both, that would be no problem but still it would be a little too much at once including the games. So I'm hoping for a March 2020 release.

Enjoy!

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Octopath Traveler if you're into rpgs. Otherwise those game you'e already mentioned should keep you busy for quite a while.

My recommendation to you is to take full advantage of the eShop. There are so many great titles there to choose from, and most for under $20, which seems to be right in your budget. I also recommend picking up a micro SD card soon, preferably when they're on sale. the 64 GB are adequate, but the 128 GB gives you plenty of breathing room for plenty of years. I'm sure you might be one of those physical only gamers, but the ability to switch from game to game on the fly is one of the greatest benefits of the Switch and being able to skip the step of finding the game card and putting it in the system is super nice.

A few games: Snipperclips is a great couch co-op title. And Breath of the Wild, while ginormous, can be played in small doses here and there. The open ended nature of the game means you don't really have to continue on one certain path and remmeber where you are at, etc. Hollow Knight is an absolutely great indie title that is well beyond what should be expected from any 2D game.

Definitely get a carrying case for your Switch. The last thing you want to do is drop that thing and really have a problem. Also, a charging solution for your joycons and/or pro controller (which is a great purchase) will also come in handy.

But mostly, I hope you enjoy the system. Sorry you had joycon issues. We've all been there, unfortuantely. It sucks that even in the newsest model you had this problem.

Around the Network

Here are some of my favorite Switch games (most favorite first).

Single player: BotW, Axiom Verge, Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler, Dragon Quest Builders, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Mario + Rabbids, Untitled Goose Game, South Park: Fractured but Whole

Multiplayer: Puyo Puyo Tetris, Cadence of Hyrule, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Mario Kart

This all from games that I've played quite a bit.  There are still plenty of games that I want to pick up but haven't gotten around to yet.

If you are low on budget but have access to wi-fi there seems to be quite a number of free to play games available. Very nice people in here (I believe it was Ganoncrotch, but not sure) have said nice things about Paladins, for example, and I myself will try it sometime when I get the chance and time, and it seems to not need the subscription to be played. The same seems to apply to Warframe.

Last edited by farlaff - on 06 November 2019

Other games I am interested in are:

Bayonetta & Bayonetta 2 (Eventually Bayonetta 3)

Ace Attorney HD Trilogy (Would want this on PS4 for trophies, but this game is suited to portability)

Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening

Cuphead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar should buy Octopath Traveler and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Signalstar said:

Fast forward to summer 2019, Nintendo announced the upgraded version of the Switch and the new Switch Lite. I also predicted that Nintendo would release a portable only version of the Switch. The Switch Lite did not really appeal to me however because I definitely want the freedom to play on the TV and in portable mode.

The new model with the upgraded battery life finally convinced me to buy. Also I had quit my job and was starting grad school so my income quickly went to 0 but I set aside money before just for the Switch. It was the first gaming hardware I ever ordered through Amazon and it was delivered the very next day (thanks Prime!) However, as I said before I had no income so I did not have any money for a game at first so the Switch sat unopened in the box for a couple months.

Until two days ago. I bought New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe as my first game through Amazon. It was on sale and I had an Amazon gift card. The game came through same-day delivery (again Thanks Prime!). The reason I chose NSMB U Deluxe as my first game was because I wanted something simple to pick up and play that was suitable for both TV and handheld mode, had local multiplayer, and did not have a big online component because I will not be paying for Switch Online anytime soon. I of course considered Breath of the Wild (not enough free time to dedicate to playing), Odyssey (same as Breath of the Wild), MK 8 Deluxe (I recently bought Crash Team Racing for PS4, don't need 2 kart racers at once), and Super Smash Bros Ultimate (not able to take full advantage of the multiplayer at the moment) and will eventually buy them all.

Anyway, I finally booted up my Switch, made it charge and started playing NSMB U Deluxe in handheld mode. Within 5 minutes the Joy Cons start acting up. The right Joy Con stops working completely and won't charge or connect to the Switch. BUMMER! I play as best I could with only the left Joy  Con and the Switch docked. Yesterday I called Nintendo about the issue and they agreed to repair my right Joy Con. The support representative asks me to go to a Best Buy or a Gamestop to try another right Joy Con on my device to see if the issue is only with the controller or both the console and the controller.

I inconveniently drove to both Best Buy (they were not helpful) and Gamestop (they were friendly and helpful). I explained my situation to the clerk at Gamestop and he fetched a used right Joy Con for me to test on my Switch device. It worked immediately. That was a relief because it meant I could just send in the controller and continue playing. I ask about used controllers for sale at Gamestop. My budget is low to non-existant as I mentioned earlier. Eventually I end up buying a 3rd party Zelda branded wired controller modeled after the Xbox One Controller for $25 + tax. The clerk also told me that I could return the controller within 30 days if I got my Joy Con back. I tried the controller back at home in docked mode. It's a nice controller the only downside is the wired connection. I figure I will eventually return it at put the store credit towards Zelda Breath of the Wild. I definitely will buy a Pro Controller down the line though.

Anyway that is my rambling odyssey about becoming a Switch owner. This is the second time Nintendo hardware has failed me within a day of purchase after my Gamecube. Other than that impressions are good so far. The interface is really simple.

Any recommendations?

If you have an Amazon Prime account you can get up to 12 months of Nintendo Online for free! I'm not sure if you have to buy the subscription first then get the time added on the back end, but definitely worth checking out to see if you can get it for free! You'll have lots of NES and SNES games to play casually if you're interested in that sort of thing.