By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: Sony's PS5 is definitely more powerful than Microsoft Project Scarlett

Which will be the more powerful?

PS5 53 63.86%

XB4 30 36.14%

Total:83
BraLoD said:

If a new home console releases with multiple skus simultaneously, the stronger will be the one counted.

No it won't. This gen, a 0.5TFlop (1.8 vs 1.3) difference made a noticeable difference in the end. With next gen, a 0.5TF difference will be almost unnoticeable (don't expect a higher difference than 0.5-1TFlop, as both fight within the same power envelope). If/when both consoles are around 10TFlop (of "Navi - TFlops"), a few % difference just doesn't cut it.

It will boil down to "Who shouts louder?" and who has the better exclusives.

Around the Network

But at the end of the day it won't mean shit which console is more powerful

BraLoD said:
melbye said:
But at the end of the day it won't mean shit which console is more powerful

Maybe, maybe not.

But if it does not interest you, why are you coming into this kind of threads?

Just stating my opinion that i think the power-battle is irrelevant, cause not once in the 40 year old history has a console sold the best BECAUSE of power, but marketing and games

melbye said:
BraLoD said:

Maybe, maybe not.

But if it does not interest you, why are you coming into this kind of threads?

Just stating my opinion that i think the power-battle is irrelevant, cause not once in the 40 year old history has a console sold the best BECAUSE of power, but marketing and games

Power became the buzzword for some after MS droped the ball since half of gen 7 with game production. Since they have been focusing on 3 games for the past 6-8 years they are trying to say its the multiplats that count, so  power counts. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

The PS4 and Xbox one were very similar...the PS4 being more power (has for the most part delivered even most recent games at 1080p while the base Xbox One has sunk as low as 864p in titles like RDR2)...from what I have seen both next gen consoles have a similar architecture...I assume the gap will be close one way or the other...I think Collin is a Sony guy so I can't really trust anything he says...wait until digital foundry has their final say.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

Since when has the quality of multiplats been a substantial driver for console sales?  Historically that has never been the case.  

The average gamer in a gen buys a console to play with their friends.  Since PS4 got a jump start, it continued momentum even when XB was cheaper because people were still going to buy the same system their friend already had.  

shikamaru317 said:

Friends is a factor for sure, but specs are definitely a factor for alot of people, myself included. If two consoles are somewhat similar in price and one of them is noticeably more powerful than the other, like PS4 vs XB1, people go with the more powerful one.

According at least to the latest annual report by the American Entertainment Software Association anyway, price is the single biggest influence on game purchases (66% consider it), while quality of graphics are the second biggest influence (63% consider it). See page 21. So objectively it looks like you both may be partially right.

However, it's worth saying that these are the factors listed as being behind game purchases, not necessarily console purchases. But still, just wanted to be as helpful as I could.

Wouldn't surprise me if they are almost the same but MS's next console just has to be as powerful or even stronger than PS5 after this gen and all this talk about power and the worse versions of games.

It might have been less of a problem in the past but with Youtubers, Twitter and all this stuff nowadays, people get too often to hear that console xy is just better and that you should own this for the best experience of a game..

MS has already a big disadvantage because of the brand name which alone will win most markets for Sony and their first party output this gen damaged it even more. They can't afford a disadvantage starting from day one.

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 15 June 2019

So it sounds like the PS5 devkit is more powerful than the Scarlet devkit. Are dev kits a good representation of the final products power?

Is this the same Colin who said Microsoft tried to put Halo MCC on PS4? lol

At the end of the day idc if the PS5 is more powerful, I just hope the next Xbox doesn't launch as fugly as the Xbone did. Which it won't, because the leadership there is night and day different.

We had this same swinging pendulum of whats going to be the most powerful last time best just to expect them to be as powerful as each other.