By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metroidvania: A Love Story

Tagged games:

Who knew all the way back in 1987 that a little game called Metroid would pretty much singlehandedly create an entire genre of videogaming that would still be thriving over 30 years later?  As one of the first open world games, it challenged players to memorize its labyranthine caverns and methodically eliminate dead ends, cataloguing specific areas and rooms for exploration at a later time when equipped with the right upgrade.  If Mario with his straightforward run and jumping was like checkers, then Metroid was like Chess, requiring from players more than just pushing right on the d-pad until you reached the flagpole.

I remember staying up late at night (early morning) with the music at low volumes and my fright levels at nine, dreading both the cruel creatures waiting to murder me in the cavernous depths of Brinstar, and one of my parents waking up to find me not fast asleep on a school night.  If they found me out, and they often would, they'd take the power adapter to my NES away for weeks at a time.  But it was a punishment well risked as the joys of exploring Zebes and finding hidden missile packs was worth whatever punishments would be doled out on me when I was caught.

In 1994 I experienced Super Metroid in much the same way, as an adult now, but in one long over night binge with a friend of mind as we took turns hoping to beat the game before it had to be returned to the video store the next day.  We were successful, taking only the occasional smoke (smoking's bad, kids...don't ever start) break to gush about the game and ponder our way out of a particularly perplexing impasse. That first 16 hour playthrough session would not be my last as Super Metroid became my most played game throughout my college years.

So my love for the Metroidvania genre is grounded in these classics.  I've definitely enjoyed my fair share of the Vania aspects of this portmanteau, but my first and true love was Metroid and to me the only reason I even allow the Vania part of this genre to remain is that Metroidvania sounds way cooler than Metroid-style games.  

So for this thread I thought it would be cool if we all shared our personal stories with this genre and what has made it so special to each of you. What are your favorite titles that fit in this genre.  Do you prefer the 2D or the 3D games?  And where would you like to see the genre go next?  

Around the Network
Hiku said:

My favorite Metroidvania game is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night though. As I was very much into rpgs at the time, the rpg elements, and the Metroid elements mixed into a Castlevania game made me love that game a lot. But it was also due to many of its unique ideas, like the upside down castle, that it became such a memorable game for me. And one that I have replayed a few times as well.

I have no idea how this has came to be, but I have never played Symphony of the Night.  I've played all or most of the GBA Castlevania titles and have loved them all, but for some reason I just never had access to this game.  It's certainly a game I look forward to playing, but for some reason not enough to seek it out.  I'll have to do something about that soon.

@ mZuzek, my quoting isn't working for some reason, so I'll just put my thoughts here...

I think that Metroid was where it all started. Certainly to have a trend or a genre you need to have more than one, so by that token your point is well taken. But Super Metroid just refined all the elements that were in place in Metroid. I won't suggest that the first Metroid is better than Super. That would just be ridiculous. I will say, though, that Metroid has more in common with Super Metroid than Mario Bros has with Super Mario Bros. And while Metroid is barely playable as a modern game (thank goodness for Zero Mission), when I played it at 11 years old it was ground breaking and the difficulty of the game was something that I really enjoyed. Oh..and I love chess, too. My only point about that is that chess makes you think a lot more than checkers and in that way the analogy works. I know that Metroid isn't nearly as elegant a game as Chess.

Regarding your playthroughs of Super and the Prime series, I think it's awesome that you question yourself enough to return to games that you didn't once enjoy or appreciate. I can tell by the way you speak about Super Metroid that you would have denied yourself quite a bit of enjoyment had you not returned to the title. Congrats on the 65 minute comepltion time. My best was 71 minutes when I was at my most practiced, but I've found a few new shortcuts since then and I'd be curious to see what that would do to my time. I always get bogged down on replays these days trying to mockball for the first Super Missile pack and end up distracting myself away from going for a true speedrun.

I really like Hollow Knight, but I've been stuck on a boss and it kicked my ass so much that I put the game down. Everytime I see the game on my menu it looks to me like a homework assignment that I keep procastinating. I'm not even sure what the name of the boss is, but I know it's enormous and jumps on you and uses lightning. But up until that moment in time I was really, really enjoying the game. I'm sure I'll return to it sooner or later.

I'm going to hopefully share a bit about my experiences with this sub-genre tomorrow ( leaving my laptop behind + want to spend time on some gaming ). For now I'll say that Super Metroid is my favorite game, edging out SOTN. I played 2 of the DS Castlevania games ( Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait Of Ruin ), but they never grabbed me the way SOTN did. I also played and enjoyed the NES Metroid, and although good brings up the rear on this short list. Never gave Outland on PS3 a decent shot. Bailed on the second boss. Pussed out tbh. I have to mention I really liked Rouge Legacy when I played it on the Vita, even though it not a true Metroidvania game.

I see the Prime games included in the thread too. I loved the original Prime, but it feels weird to include it to me. Because it's 3D I guess.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

mZuzek said:
COKTOE said:

I see the Prime games included in the thread too. I loved the original Prime, but it feels weird to include it to me. Because it's 3D I guess.

I understand how it can be weird, but there's really nothing about Prime 1 or 2 that'd make them non-Metroidvania. Prime 3, though, I'm not sure it quite fits into the genre.

Perfect.  My easy definition for a Metroidvania is that you can go anywhere you want (pretty much) at the beginning of the game if you have the right ability.  And seeing what people are able to do in Prime right at the first steps on Tallon IV (High Jump Boots Aquired!), Prime 1 definitely fits the bill.  The separation in 3 on different planets and an external ship probably does break that formula, although to be honest I never bothered playing it after I completed it the first time on the Wii.  It was a good game and looked pretty, but I missed the overlapping paths that the previous 2 had.

Around the Network

Super Metroid is probably my favorite game on SNES, heck of all time.
The Music, Art, Level design was all top notch... Glad I got to grow up with that game.

Couldn't play the NES version as it's just far to archaic for me from a controls/music/art standpoint, Super Metroid aged far better IMHO.
If Nintendo did a remake of Super Metroid I would be the happiest person alive.

As for speed runs... I can complete the game 100% in about 10-12 hours... Which is certainly an improvement of the months I had when I first got it on the Cart decades ago as a kid. - I don't replay the game frequently though, once every couple of years.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Blaster Master is one of the original metroidvanias that deserves more credit. It's an amazing game and every bit equal to the original Metroid. Great controls, unique levels, creative tank power ups, kick ass music, it's one of the best in the genre.

Anyone interested in the genre should give it a play!

I love metroidvanias

Super Metroid (best snes game)
Master Blaster (nes-gbc)
Simphony of the night (psx-xbox 360)
Metroid Prime and Metroid prime 2 (Gamecube)
Castlevania Circle of the Moon (Gba)
Dust an elisyan Tail (xbox 360)
Momodora, Hollow knight and Recore (Xbox One)

Are my favorites games.

Sorry for my bad english.

To the poster above- Heresy I say! The original Metroid is a master piece! Sure in some ways it's dated but the design/exploration and atmosphere/music still hold up.

To me the first Metroid is the best and it’s still playable (I’ve played it quiet a bit on the NES app you get with Nintendo Online). Super Metroid is a superb game by all means, it’s just that the first one is better (to me).

It comes down to the ”no hand holding” approach. No minimap, no markers (for items or objectives), you are just dumped into the world and need to find your way. Playing it today I can finish it fairly quick because I roughly know where I need to go to. But for a first playtrough you get some serious time out of it (unless you use a guide or look things up online).

While Metroid Prime is an excellent series (if you exclude the DS title) I don’t really consider them as Metroid, except in name. The 3D environment messes up the Metroid feeling.