By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Finally Finished Chrono Trigger

Tagged games:

So I finally finished Chrono Trigger, a game I missed playing in my youth due to it being a rare game to get hold of where I am from. I am no fan of JRPGs however I did finished FF7 on my PS1 and I heard this game needs to be played. Well I finally did it and I must say I am very impressed. 

I played this on Steam and I heard the game copped a few complaints due to the PC port. However what was the issue with the PC port? The game scaled well, offers clean visuals and those cutscenes look amazing. I did play the latest version of the game so I am guessing they fixed a few issues with its latest patch? 

The game's cutscenes reminds me of DBZ so much that every time I thought Chrono was going to go super Saiyan haha. Yes I know the same artist was involved. The game also has some of the best gaming music iv heard and the character development in the game is very detailed. Each character has a story to tell and an interesting one to be part of too.  It never felt boring or the same. I also much prefer the battle system in CT then the random encounters you find in 99% of other JRPG games.

Is it better than FF7? Hmm I wouldn't say it beats FF7 but good in its very own way in my opinion, I do find that Chrono Trigger has aged very well while FF7 did not but I did like the characters a lot in FF7 so both games hold a special place in my heart but I will have to say I will slightly edge anyone that loves JRPGs to play Chrono Trigger since its a game that has aged well over the course of time (Pun intended) and the music and cutscenes are well worth experiencing.

(In game screenshots on my Steam account)

Is Chrono Cross worth a play through? It doesn't look as appealing, seems more like the Xenoblade 1 to Xenoblade 2 games which took a completely different approach from eachother, however I have not played it yet. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Azzanation - on 21 March 2019

Around the Network

The complaints about the PC port were mostly directed at how it originally was when Square Enix released it. They had changed the graphics and interface to look basically like a mobile game, but they eventually changed them back to the original style. I still need to get around to finishing the game some day. I've started it twice and gotten over halfway through both times, the first time the game broke, and the second time my save data was corrupted so I've never been able to play it all the way through.

Gonna say, where were you at the game's launch?.

It was absolutely terrible. Gamers complained that it was practically a mobile port, with mobile UI included and generally a terrible porting process, that make it look worse than the original when emulated. Like, I get that you "game on PC", but you don't seem to peer into what actually goes on. I don't own Neir, but I brushed up and researched into why that port was crap.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

One of my favorite games of all time. Also, my first RPG. I say avoid Chrono Cross. It has its fans and it was beautiful on PS1 with a great battle system but story (and characters) is king. The one in CC was just a confusing, meandering mess.

*Edit* the soundtrack for Chrono Cross was incredible, though. Definitely worth checking out.

I've never finished it, started the game about 3 times, getting reasonably far each time. I never felt the urge to ever finish it unfortunately :/

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
think-man said:
I've never finished it, started the game about 3 times, getting reasonably far each time. I never felt the urge to ever finish it unfortunately :/

You poor poor soul

I tried :( its not a bad game. I just didn't think it was anything special. 

My favorite 2D JRPG of all time.

It's ok but Chrono Cross is much better.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

One of the best games ever.

It's a pity that you didn't play it years ago or at the time it came out. It's still great, but back then it was absolutely incredible.

Definitely better than Chrono Cross. I'd love to have a good remake of Trigger.

I’m one of the few people who actually likes chrono cross a lot more than chrono trigger, in fact it’s one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. But if you want to play chrono cross expecting chrono trigger 2 you might be very disappointed, chrono cross is a very unique rpg it has many characters a very difficult to understand story, alternative path, a very different leveling system, when I played it for the first time it really caught me off guard but after all this years the game remains one of a kind.
If you are willing to try it you will find easily one of the best soundtracks in gaming, a very interesting dimension traveling mechanics, a very good story, some really well developed characters, great cgi that still holds up,and some of the best side quest in any rpg.
Hope you give the game a chance but i’m Aware that the game isn’t as easy to get into as chrono trigger and most people end up disappointed when they play chrono cross.