By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell more, Animal Crossing Switch or Pokemon Sword/Shield?

Tagged games:

I think the bigger seller will be...

Animal Crossing 63 42.28%

Pokemon Sword/Shield 86 57.72%

Total:149

Of Nintendo's two flagship dreadnoughts of the 2019 sales war, which do you think will sell more lifetime, and why?

Around the Network

I think that Pokemon will sell more out of the gate, but that the annual or bi-annual releases will cut it's legs shorts. Sun and Moon seriously could have outsold Diamond and Pearl if not for Ultra Sun and Moon. Animal Crossing will sell more than Sword and Shield lifetime.

Should be Pokemon. If Lets go can do 10mil Sword and Shield should easily pass 10mil.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

It would really help to see the first Animal Crossing trailer to make this decision, but I went with Pokemon, beacuse...Pokemon.

Animal Crossing can only win if:
1.) Pokemon is exactly as conventional and safe as it looked in the trailer, and
2.) Animal Crossing is a significant step up in both ambition and production values from New Leaf.

If either of those conditions aren't met, then it'll fall short.

Around the Network

The only platform with an Animal Crossing title on it that wasn't beaten in sales by a Pokemon title was the Wii with City Folk, but the Wii only had Battle Revolution representing Pokemon, so hardly a fair comparison, and Amiibo Festival on Wii U, which only had Rumble U representing Pokemon, a ridiculous comparison. Even Pokemon Colosseum on the Gamecube beat the original Animal Crossing. If you put a mainline Pokemon against a mainline Animal Crossing, Pokemon always wins. The best selling Animal Crossing is barely in the realm of the Pokemon remakes. Even Let's Go is likely going to outsell New Leaf. There's no way Animal Crossing Switch outsells Sword & Shield. Maybe it does better than New Leaf since Animal Crossing is growing and this is the Switch we're talking about so crazy sales are possible, but Pokemon is on an upswing in popularity and is also going to be on the Switch, providing a home console mainline Pokemon experience for the first real time. People are crazy hyped about that. It's going to crush Animal Crossing.

Pokemon without a doubt. I think it's going to hit somewhere north of 22 Million lifetime. Animal Crossing...eh, just throwing a number out there...16.5M.

I need to see AC before comenting on this, both have decent chances of beating the other...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I think that Pokemon will sell more out of the gate, but that the annual or bi-annual releases will cut it's legs shorts. Sun and Moon seriously could have outsold Diamond and Pearl if not for Ultra Sun and Moon. Animal Crossing will sell more than Sword and Shield lifetime.

I dont really understand this line of thinking.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl & Black/White sold more than Animal Crossing: Wild World on DS and Pokemon X/Y & Sun/Moon sold more than Animal Crossing: New Leaf on 3DS.

Annual/bi-annual releases of Pokemon did not prevent it from outselling Animal Crossing on DS or 3DS so I dont see why that would change on Switch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pokemon as usual.