By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Dark Souls on Switch analysis

Tagged games:

Cool its portable but a prettt bad port.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

As they mention handheld drops into low twenty's which made me not want to play, or maybe it was the framepacing, either way I think it need some improvement. Sounds like FPS is better docked.

I have been looking at this game, and am trying to figure out what about it people find so great. I know I am missing something, but it doesn't look like people are having fun with it in "let's plays," and the graphics are as bland as any game I have ever seen.

Now, I am not saying it's a bad game, but I am struggling to see why it is great. What are the big draws? Why are people excited to have this on Switch?
All I seem to be seeing is mediocrity, so far - and the fact that people are calling this a bad port makes it worse.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

xl-klaudkil said:
Cool its portable but a prettt bad port.

You clearly missed the point of the anlaysis. It's a way better version than the PS3/Xbox 360, and is as stable as the PS4/Xbox One version.

Its getting compaired to the xb360 version, and your not blown away by how much better the Switch version is.
Am I the only one that thinks thats a issue? like its not great if your console is getting compaired to last gen consoles imo.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Its getting compaired to the xb360 version, and your not blown away by how much better the Switch version is.
Am I the only one that thinks thats a issue? like its not great if your console is getting compaired to last gen consoles imo.

By that logic, DS remastered on PS4 and XOne would also have an issue with it, since they were compared to the original versions to look on what was improved and whatnot.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

JRPGfan said:

It's a remaster, of course you'll compare it to the original version. The main point of the video is why the remaster matter and how. And obviously, it matters because of higher resolution, better framerate, and better overall presentation (except for the audio quality)

JRPGfan said:

The Switch isn't a console and the video is comparing different ports of a game, not consoles.

I have to admit after watching the video I'm pretty disappointed. It sounds like a port that really should have gone much better considering the time they put into it. For just playing Dark Souls? It sounds ok. For playing Dark Souls with improvements? No. I would have really liked if it was comparable to the Playstation 4 version. Which is saying a lot, because that was already a lazy port.

The most frustrating thing is that most of these changes seem to come down to wanting to reduce storage space. No improvement to fog walls? No improvement to item drop glows? No improvement to audio quality, and in fact worse audio quality than last generation? The PS4 version is only like 7 gigabytes, sure it maybe almost twice the gigabytes of the Switch version's 3.9 gigabyte download. But this is a decent drop in quality for what ... storage requirements?

30 FPS vs 60 FPS is the big dealbreaker. I'd rather it look worse on the console than see such a difference in frame rate.

Seems like it the most important thing to them was to get it on a cheaper 4GB cart. But at least it sounds playable