By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes Shadow of the Colossus so special?

Tagged games:

How much do you like SotC?

5/5 Best game ever 20 43.48%

4/5 Top 100 games of all time 19 41.30%

3/5 Really good game 1 2.17%

2/5 Quite average 4 8.70%

1/5 A bit annoying 1 2.17%

0/5 Total failure 1 2.17%

Total:46

Shadow of the Colossus was the only game I was able to play on my PS2 before it died strugling. Gameplay-wise, the game presents a decent challenge with each colossus, and armosphere-wise, the combination of the fantastic soundtrack and emptiness of the world fit really well.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I've never played the game but I've been enthralled with it ever since I saw Matthewmatosis's video explaining why it's so great. For me I think the reason I've really been interested in it for so long is the meta-narrative(I don't know if it technically counts as one?) behind playing the game. The small details, such as the ability to fly using a bird or climb up to eat devil fruit, as well as the different theories about the game really accentuate the game world. I've tried looking for narrated Shadow of the Colossus fan theories just because i'm so entertained by the concept of the game, but unfortunately there isn't much narrated ones. I can't wait to play it for the first time!

Marth said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Shadow of the Colossus was the only game I was able to play on my PS2 before it died strugling. Gameplay-wise, the game presents a decent challenge with each colossus, and armosphere-wise, the combination of the fantastic soundtrack and emptiness of the world fit really well.

So the soundtrack is something i should listen to. Will do that. :)

Do the colossus have checkpoints when you climb them or do you start from the bottom when you fail? Ive seen that they are really big compared to the player.

You have to beat them in one go. Don't worry about dying much, the game allows you to recover your health many times, even in the harder fights.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Marth said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I've never played the game but I've been enthralled with it ever since I saw Matthewmatosis's video explaining why it's so great. For me I think the reason I've really been interested in it for so long is the meta-narrative(I don't know if it technically counts as one?) behind playing the game. The small details, such as the ability to fly using a bird or climb up to eat devil fruit, as well as the different theories about the game really accentuate the game world. I've tried looking for narrate Shadow of the Colossus fan theories just because i'm so entertained by the concept of the game, but unfortunately there isn't much narrated ones. I can't wait to play it for the first time!

Can you link me that video?

So there are mechanics i didnt know about.

Is there hidden lore or is a lot vague and unexplained so you can put up theories?

I'm pretty sure the bird mechanic is just a novelty to be honest but I think that's part of why it's so cool - so much miniscule things are added to the world to make it feel alive.

If you can't stand analysis from a very sleepy narrator you might not like the video but anyway's here it is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOXFEBC509w

Yes, there is. The main narrative kind of obscures itself through symbolism.

I played the PS3 version, and while I can see the praise it got from everyone, I couldn't bring myself to get past the 3rd or 4th Colossus because I. just. DESPISE. the controls. It's been a while since I tried it, but the controls and camera were among the worst I've ever had. I wanted to like the game, I really did, but I just couldn't.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Around the Network

It's just a very artistic game with an amazing soundtrack and top notch gameplay. I have fond memories of playing the game but yeah the overworld is mostly empty with some shiny lizards and nothing much else to do in it. It's a very good and unique game though.

RolStoppable said:

It was branded as art from the get-go, so everybody had to like it regardless of its shoddy controls and framerate. Naturally, its improved re-releases had to be admired as well.

My favorite anecdote concerns a German video game magazine that gave the original release a rather generous score (77/100) despite the reviewers not being convinced that they were playing a good game, then years later they elevated SotC to one of the most important releases of the decade, likely due to peer pressure and a desire to fit in with everyone else.

If you are looking for games as art, then maybe this is something you'll like. The same holds true for everything else that is commonly said to be art.

EDIT: Added paragraphs. Quick Reply still not fixed.

wow.....

Anyways to OP. I'm gonna try and tell you why the game is so special.

Imagine a massive open world game. Where you literally can go anywhere you see. 

Then imagine that from the beginning to end of this game you do no see a single NPC or quest marker.

Then imagine that there is absolutlely no hand holding what soever in this game or hints on where to go and what to do.

Imagine that at the start of the game you are already as powerful as you would ever be and your ability to finish the game has nothing to do with any new weapons or powerups you get (which there are none) but of your mastery of the games mechanics.

Now those bosses you mention, the game loop is simple. Navigate your way through the world to find one. Figure out how to neat it, then nagvigate your way around said boss to actually beat it. rinse and repeat.

It may not sound like much, but that too is what makes the game beautiful.... cause somehow it has enough to get you hooked.

There isn't and has never been another game like SoTC. There is an atmosphere and flow it has that no other game has been able to match. Especially when you consider that its the exact opposite in open world design that every other developer goes with. All other open world games try and give you so much to do, SoTC gives you just one thing to do.

All I can say now is that you should just try and play the game.

Personally I don't really like the game, deep in between the empty world, questionable controls and bad camera, lies some decent memorable enough moments and bosses that I can see why some like a lot. But as someone who values the gameplay polish above everything else in a game, it wasn't something I had fun with.

RolStoppable said:

It was branded as art from the get-go, so everybody had to like it regardless of its shoddy controls and framerate. Naturally, its improved re-releases had to be admired as well.

My favorite anecdote concerns a German video game magazine that gave the original release a rather generous score (77/100) despite the reviewers not being convinced that they were playing a good game, then years later they elevated SotC to one of the most important releases of the decade, likely due to peer pressure and a desire to fit in with everyone else.

If you are looking for games as art, then maybe this is something you'll like. The same holds true for everything else that is commonly said to be art.

EDIT: Added paragraphs. Quick Reply still not fixed.

I agree for the most part.

It does indeed get a lot of good press more so for being "artsy" rather than being a great game but i think it's controls were good and it's bosses and soundtrack are very memorable. I think this also applies to Journey and The Last of Us but that's just me.

Well, it's very atmospheric and different from most adventure type of games. Because it doesn't have an army of minions to wipe out or a ton of dialog to listen to, ya pay a great deal more attention to the beautiful scenery and awesome soundtrack as you're traveling to the next colossus. It's sort of meditative. The fights are the total opposite of that. They are chaotic and epic. I felt like a gerbil trying to fight lions and hyenas with a tooth pick. It was especially fun when it first released because there's hardly any games like it. That's still the case today.